Do we have a single prospect that will be any good next year?

JoeSchmoe

52 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I agree. Do you have confidence that we'll get someone via UFA or trade? The only guys Adams seems to be able to get are guys that hurt us more than they help us. 

Byram for Mitts is a net negative. Byram was a sub-50% expected goal % guy on one of the best teams in the league- which is pretty hard to do. Sure he looks flashy at times, but he makes up for it with poor defensive play. He can still get better... But at the moment he is who he is.

Mittelstadt on the other hand is a legit high end 2nd liner right now. I'm not surprised CO wanted him. We were just too cheap to pay him.

We now have a high class goalie, a mobile and talented defense, TNT is capabel of scoring 40 goals and I think a healthy and older Kid line is abel to cause damage. I believe our stocks on the UFA-market are rising and a second or third line UFA-forward see that they might be the missing piece in a succesful team. Even if that team are the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SabreFinn said:

We now have a high class goalie, a mobile and talented defense, TNT is capabel of scoring 40 goals and I think a healthy and older Kid line is abel to cause damage. I believe our stocks on the UFA-market are rising and a second or third line UFA-forward see that they might be the missing piece in a succesful team. Even if that team are the Sabres.

I hope you're right. This season beat the optimism out of me... Especially since we finally got good goaltending.

Good on you for keeping the torch lit!

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I hope you're right. This season beat the optimism out of me... Especially since we finally got good goaltending.

Good on you for keeping the torch lit!

It seems like we got most of the pieces but we haven't got them to fit together. I Still have a good feeling about next year.

I’m a big Benson fan and still think he’s a prospect, despite playing in the NHL. He’s only 18 and has shown flashes of brilliance this year. Compared to anyone else, he’s going to be the prospect that takes the next big step. Dude has to put in a great offseason though. Needs to get bigger and stronger. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I’m a big Benson fan and still think he’s a prospect, despite playing in the NHL. He’s only 18 and has shown flashes of brilliance this year. Compared to anyone else, he’s going to be the prospect that takes the next big step. Dude has to put in a great offseason though. Needs to get bigger and stronger. 

I believe he will go bonkers next year and look totally different 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I’m a big Benson fan and still think he’s a prospect, despite playing in the NHL. He’s only 18 and has shown flashes of brilliance this year. Compared to anyone else, he’s going to be the prospect that takes the next big step. Dude has to put in a great offseason though. Needs to get bigger and stronger

Can somebody also please tell this to:  Power, Cozens, Thompson, Quinn, etc.  I seriously question if this team has a strength and conditioning coach.  They all look like they're trying to become swimmers vs. hockey players.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Can somebody also please tell this to:  Power, Cozens, Thompson, Quinn, etc.  I seriously question if this team has a strength and conditioning coach.  They all look like they're trying to become swimmers vs. hockey players.

Good point. Maybe someone should go to Cabo with them and help them select the right things to eat. Or make them carry their luggage instead of rolling it. 

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Joki does seem like the odd man out but I’m wondering about Power.  With Byrum that is an awfully too heavy D with almost all offensive types.  I could see them flipping Power for a young power forward no pun intended. 

Young meaning established young?

9 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Good point. Maybe someone should go to Cabo with them and help them select the right things to eat. Or make them carry their luggage instead of rolling it. 

Steaks, eggs, lots of bread... maybe even introduce them to Chefs or a cop in a donut line... at this age these boys  burn calories just thinking about skating... oh and Haagan-Daez ice cream

Edited by North Buffalo

56 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Thompson has been a gym rat since he got here.  His off ice workouts are well known.  The others in your list need to get stronger, especially Power and Quinn.  Power probably is strong but not anywhere near his potential.  

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Steaks, eggs, lots of bread... maybe even introduce them to Chefs or a cop in a donut line... at this age these boys  burn calories just thinking about skating... oh and Haagan-Daez ice cream

Players pregame meals of yesteryear.   Chicken breasts for protein and Pasta for carbs.  

Regadless of what we all think about the level of talent that the Sabres have in their prospect pool, there are some out there that think very highly of what Buffalo has in the pipeline.

The first superstar player to want out of their situation, the Buffalo Sabres GM (I want KMKA out but I doubt it will happen) should be the first one on the line and send whatever prospect it takes to get that player to Western NY.

On 3/22/2024 at 9:57 AM, JoeSchmoe said:

If you use Peterka and Quinn as benchmarks to how prospects from the AHL graduate into the NHL, it can tell us something.

JJP was basically a ppg in his Draft+1 AHL season. Quinn was 1.35ppg. Both struggled with their 200ft game in their rookie NHL seasons.

Kulich is 0.78ppg at the same age, Rosen is 0.64 and he's a year older. Neither one are close to JJP or JQ trajectory.  How do we expect they are going to be much help next year. Is there something else in their games that doesn't show up on the scoresheet? As of right now (not going into the 23-24 season) do either one of the project out to be 1st or 2nd line players? If not, we need to move them.

Noah Ostland is 0.6ppg in the SHL. It's a low scoring league, but that still sounds too low to be able to make the jump to the NHL, especially with him being small. Is that right?

The only hope I have is Savoie. He's pretty much at the top of the WHL for ppg. My concern though is he's too small to be very impactful next year. I'm thinking he's probably a Benson 2.0 level player. Thoughts? I think it might take a while, but he could still have top 1 or 2 line potential. 

Long story short though is we need to start trading some of these guys for NHL ready players in the offseason. Otherwise, I don't have much hope in breaking the non-playoff streak next year. 

Sabres prospects are not ready. We must sign good vet players with grit to expensive two year deals this summer….

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

This is absolutely true. I expected Cozens to have more meat on him by now but he still looks like a beanpole. Dahlin has finally added some muscle and he plays more solid but there's a definite lack of muscle building on this team. 

I was watching the Bruins Flyers game today and saw this beautiful goal by Brazeau in front and the first thought I had was  - if only Tage would do this, he'd be a league leading force. Now to be clear, Brazeau is a very slow fringe player and has nowhere near Tage's talent, but he's a huge guy with reach, just like Tage. What he does differently is he goes right to the front and controls the puck in front and jams his goals home or creates havoc. Point is it's the element missing from Tage's game. (now I know he's done it a few times, and when he does we all go wow what a goal, but it just doesn't happen on a regular basis and that's because he doesn't like the contact, it's just that simple). 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Thompson has been a gym rat since he got here.  His off ice workouts are well known.  The others in your list need to get stronger, especially Power and Quinn.  Power probably is strong but not anywhere near his potential.  

His (TNT) workouts may focus on fitness, but IMHO not enough on building strength and mass.  I've seen too many photo's of him in street cloths heading to the rink...he's still too thin!  Remember Risto's off-season workouts?   That's more what the guys need.  Some of these Sabres still look like bean poles since 2022....

Sabres 2022.jpg

Edited by Carmel Corn
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

This article posted on this site might allude to it. 

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/after-slow-start-sabres-prospect-viktor-neuchev-thriving-in-rochester/

It's about Neuchev but if you read it it alludes to players needing to take charge of their own development. Talks about how he "didn't do anything" outside of the rink on his own time. Says Appert had a similar interaction earlier with Kulich. I wonder if it's an organizational thing. Point being, there does not seem to be an organizational expectation/demand that I would suggest other successful teams definitely have. 

Honestly, I think some of them are still just playing video games (and that was a thing a few years back if you remember related to Mitts and others). 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Players pregame meals of yesteryear.   Chicken breasts for protein and Pasta for carbs.  

Chicken and rice is the big thing.

My son is 16 now. He didn't gain any weight into his minor midget year eating the "healthy" way. This was despite following a steady lifting regimen. He was hoping to get at least a late round OHL draft selection but didn't put on enough weight/strength to set himself apart, despite being a very good AAA defenseman.

Fast forward a year and went he went all in on the old school eating as much as he can of whatever he can, even when he's not remotely hungry. He's since put on close to 20lbs of muscle without growing an inch- all while following pretty much the same weight regimen. He's at his target weight now, so he's dialed it back somewhat, returning to more healthy choices and seems to be keeping it on.

It's all about the calories, and the discipline to eat even when you're not hungry. It's not easy, but if you want it bad enough, it can be done. I just can't understand why these guys who have so much at stake can't do it, when someone like my son can.

I also can't seem to understand why I can't seem to stop eating to try to lose weight, no matter how much I seem to want to stop. 🥴   

Edited by JoeSchmoe

On 3/22/2024 at 6:03 PM, PortuCool said:

Prokhor Poltapov

… 

of course, he’ll be skating in Russia. 

i watched Östlund a couple of weeks ago. He absolutely has top six potential. But, IMO, he’ll need a year, or even two years in Rochester. 

I sat near Anton Wahlberg’s dad; he expects his boy in ROC next season - that’s based on what the Sabres want. I think Östlund will suit up with him. Anton needs to work on his skating, and depending on how quickly he works that out, he might be the answer to this thread. But … I expect he’ll need one year + with the Amerks. 

I was watching Kris Baker’s prospects update the other day. Showed some clips of Poltapov in Russia. He threw 3 hard body checks in one shift. That would put him like, what, 5th on the Sabres for the season?

Edited by JustOneParade
Word missing
  • Haha (+1) 1