Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

Probably the most noticeable play Casey made last night was when a defenseman pinched and lost the puck.  He was down by the faceoff circle and chased down the Wild player all the way down the ice, didn't quite nullify him but harassed him enough without taking a penalty to mess up his shot.  Still turned into a good scoring chance (didn't go in), but if Casey hadn't gotten on his horse it would have been a clean breakaway.

Byram is a very good player. He was stuck behind the best defenceman in the world in Colorado, there's no shame in that. 

Not only do I think he'll excell on the top pair playing next to Dahlin, Dahlin will be better playing with a talent like Byram.

Byram's arrival also appropriately slots Mule, improving another pair. 

Adams improved next years team with this trade. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4

On 3/8/2024 at 2:28 PM, nfreeman said:

I'll repeat what I said during the stick salute boycott fiasco:  TP hates being embarrassed, and Mittelstadt saying this is embarrassing.

That's 2 embarrassment strikes against KA in fairly short order.  If the Sabres limp to the finish line and end up with, say, 78 pts -- that might be strike 3 for KA, or at least for DG.

What was the first embarrassment? 

34 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

A 25 year old 2nd/3rd line centre for a 22 year old top pairing dman. You make that deal everytime. 

Byram will be the better player long term.

I think it is a good trade for both teams, but I think it's a bit early to put this kid as a top pairing Dman.  The future looks good for his development, but he isn't top pairing yet as far as I can tell, even on the Sabres.  Same is true for Casey - he is developing nicely, but he is not a 2C yet, even on the Sabres.

Therefore, a reasonable *hockey trade* for both teams.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I think it is a good trade for both teams, but I think it's a bit early to put this kid as a top pairing Dman.  The future looks good for his development, but he isn't top pairing yet as far as I can tell, even on the Sabres.  Same is true for Casey - he is developing nicely, but he is not a 2C yet, even on the Sabres.

And it’s true that we bump Samuelsson down a pair, which is good, but we bump Krebs up a line, too, and he might not come close to Casey’s production. On the other hand, some have mentioned this is the first move of a few, and if we add meaningfully to the forwards, the net could definitely be team improvement because of Byram’s talent. To me it’ll look really good in combination with a couple other things 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And it’s true that we bump Samuelsson down a pair, which is good, but we bump Krebs up a line, too, and he might not come close to Casey’s production. On the other hand, some have mentioned this is the first move of a few, and if we add meaningfully to the forwards, the net could definitely be team improvement because of Byram’s talent. To me it’ll look really good in combination with a couple other things 

Much to Mike Harrington’s chagrin, I think Peyton deserves a shot with actual scorers.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

Much to Mike Harrington’s chagrin, I think Peyton deserves a shot with actual scorers.  

I’m good with that, but there are some logistical issues. We can’t be entering into next season with one of our top 3 centre roles being held down by a guy who’s still “getting a shot”, can we? I’d imagine we need him to more less prove he’s up for it before hand. Can he do that within the time frame of the remaining games? You’d be betting on quite a small sample size 

How do we feel, as of now, entering into next season with a centre spine of Thompson-Cozens-Krebs ? The level of seriousness required for a season that could end in year 5 of straight playoff misses for this regime? Or just feeling that there’s a hope it can live up to what we need? 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m good with that, but there are some logistical issues. We can’t be entering into next season with one of our top 3 centre roles being held down by a guy who’s still “getting a shot”, can we? I’d imagine we need him to more less prove he’s up for it before hand. Can he do that within the time frame of the remaining games? You’d be betting on quite a small sample size 

How do we feel, as of now, entering into next season with a centre spine of Thompson-Cozens-Krebs ? 

They need to bring in competition. I have no faith Adams will do anything resembling that.  I like Krebs in the mix tho.  Maybe Savoie or Kulich (I still think he’s a winger) will surprise but they better not count on them.  

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

They need to bring in competition. I have no faith Adams will do anything resembling that.  I like Krebs in the mix tho.  Maybe Savoie or Kulich (I still think he’s a winger) will surprise but they better not count on them.  

That’s what I mean. He’s been pretty standard in his “don’t block” philosophy. So I’m worried he’d be “open” to outside additions like he said: “open” just enough to conclude no addition that can be had at a price he’s willing to pay represents an upgrade significant enough to sully that internal completion with a veteran player: let the kids duke it out 

Edited by Thorny

Does adding Greenway, Robinson, Jost and Clifton to the roster the last two years while subtracting no one not disprove this whole "don't want to block the kids" narrative?

Does the Mitts for Byram trade not disprove a couple other narratives?

Are there any narratives left?

Edited by Hank
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Other than 97 and 29 on Oilers Byram was the best player on the ice. Very impressed. 

1 minute ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Good point!

Your OP was not exactly wrong either.  The new kid is really trying to impress his new playmates.  He has had 2 very good games and it has taken him no time to clue into the 'system' here, which only shows to go us all that there really is no 'system' here atoll - just go play, boys.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

He’s better than Clifton, Joker, and Power which automatically makes him a top pairing on this team anyway. 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

He’s better than Clifton, Joker, and Power which automatically makes him a top pairing on this team anyway. 

Yeah, I see that, but it should not be.  It will be interesting to see what happens in the summer.

Baring no changes I can see Byram with Dahlin.  Power with Muel and Cliffsie with Joker may not be terrible.  Or maybe Clifton with Power.  What's his name is looking like a good #7 too.