Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

30 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Lol ...

WTF is the plan here? 

Casey has been our best center by some margin and it seems as though we traded him for our 5th LHD who might become the 4th guy on the depth chart? 

When Adams said he would negotiate Mitts contract after the season/deadline but "had to listen to offers" I knew he was as good as gone. But I was hoping for reasonable return. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, jsb said:

Last 2 C’s they traded won a Cup. Good luck Casey

The centers this team has shipped out the past 6 years.  O'Reilly, Reinhart, Eichel, and Mittelstadt. 

Sabres have a tendency to ship players to Cup Winners/contenders.  LOL.

17 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

But they didn't even approach his agent.  ASK him and let him tell you no, don't just assume he won't be happy. 

breaking bad bullshit GIF

Also if Dylan Cozens is making and was offered more than Casey Mittlestadt then that isn't a Casey Mittlesadt problem. That is a player (e)valuation problem. 

2 years ago Casey was my most frustrating player and the last 18 months he has become my favorite and this teams best forward.

If Dylan Cozens is struggling heavily with the pressure to perform relative to his contract extension, the pressure just increased on the kid.....BY A LOT. Because that is the measuring stick, his contract is why we moved on from Mitts. And if he doesn't surpass Mitts game in the next season or two he is going to find himself struggling in this town. 

• Agree 2

The coming draft's top 10 is seriously D heavy.  I know that it takes time to develop a d-man, but I figured that we would either draft a d-man or another smaller feisty forward such as Berkly Catton who sounds like a slightly taller cross between Benson and Savoie.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

I guess I'm almost alone in this, but I'm looking forward to seeing Byram play when he suits up.  Makes me want to watch the games a bit more than if no moves were made.

Fair point, but for more color does this trade make you want to watch the Sabres more on Thursday/Saturday? Next October? 365 days from today? 

Because if it get you to watch the game this weekend, but not next season, this is really bad value. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Exactly that is why I don’t like this trade for the Buffalo Sabres. Concussions never go fully away they get worse over time as you get contact. In professional hockey there is contact there is no way to avoid contact and do your job as a NHL defenseman. I don’t get the Buffalo Sabres organization they weren’t ok with Jack Eichel getting surgery but they are ok with a player with multiple concussion injuries. Just a messed up organization Kevyn Adams, Don Granato and the entire Sabres analytics department need to be fired. In today’s game in sports with concussions and CTE I never trade for players like that in the modern era of sports. The concussion could pop up at anytime and the player is out months or worse retires at 26 years old and the team they are stuck with nothing in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

While concussions are easier to sustain after the first one, there is a ton of gray area on the matter. Bowen has had three diagnosed concussions. Sidney Crosby has had four and has missed more than a hundred games in his career as a result. Would you have liked a trade for Crosby? Makar has had two as well, would you take him on your team? I suspect it’s less about the concern of a history with concussions as it is the quality of the player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Exactly that is why I don’t like this trade for the Buffalo Sabres. Concussions never go fully away they get worse over time as you get contact. In professional hockey there is contact there is no way to avoid contact and do your job as a NHL defenseman.

Three concussions in his first couple years?… Last concussion Nov ‘21… Likely will see another… He has to clear exam by our Medical Staff, no doubt… Big risk for him to keep playing… Hard for a top athlete to see consequences 20-30 years in the future… For the love of the game.

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He's an RFA after his current contract expires.

Thanks for the clarification. Seems Mitts just wasn't in their plans to sign long term. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Fair point, but for more color does this trade make you want to watch the Sabres more on Thursday/Saturday? Next October? 365 days from today? 

Because if it get you to watch the game this weekend, but not next season, this is really bad value. 

It depends on how good he is...but more as soon as he plays because he is the 'shiny new toy'.  Possibly more next year because I think Mitts is good, but as I said in other posts, I don't think he is a game changer, but Byram COULD be part of a game-changing D-group.

• Like (+1) 1

Am I missing something?  Can't believe the anger here.  Casey was this franchise whipping boy up until maybe 18 months ago.  He's playing awesome in (shocker) a contract year.  I don't know I trust giving him the money that would be necessary here.  

Our D has been brutal.  Can Byram be good enough to keep Clifton out of the top 4?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • dislike 1

It’s hilarious how over valued Mittlestadt is on here.   

Has a career high of 15 goals, and 59 points….  a career -40.

He was part of the problem, not the solution.

• Like (+1) 2
  • dislike 1