Lindy Ruff Fired as Devils HC

Brawndo

As a recent follower of the Sabres I don’t really know anything about Ruff. What do posters think he would bring to the org?

from the outside looking in it appeared his success with the devils was when Brunette was the assistant - perhaps I am wrong. 

14 minutes ago, steveoath said:

As a recent follower of the Sabres I don’t really know anything about Ruff. What do posters think he would bring to the org?

from the outside looking in it appeared his success with the devils was when Brunette was the assistant - perhaps I am wrong. 

Respect and disciplined

The" Buddy Buddy"" Best friends" fun and  games will be over with.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm honestly questioning whether I read the post right. Am I missing something?

Don and Lindy in a tie?

Don Granato (2021-present):

Regular Season Record: 111-117-25 (.484)

Lindy Ruff (1997-2013):

Regular Season Record: 571-432-120 (.571)

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

He was good at juggling lines to freshen up the roster and keep players motivated.  He also had a fiery personality behind the bench, at times literally challenging other coaches to fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACK_fFVfbfk

• Thanks (+1) 1

Team has been circling the drain since 2011/2012 season.  Only one head coach during this period of remarkable futility has left Buffalo to be the head guy for another team.  

Lindy would be the best head coaching hire since…Lindy.  That doesn’t mean the Sabres should hire him.  The last time the team reached back to former glory (Pat LaFontaine) didn’t work.  But, at least it would be interesting.  This team is aggressively uninteresting.

Edited by Eli Cash
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He was good at juggling lines to freshen up the roster and keep players motivated.  He also had a fiery personality behind the bench, at times literally challenging other coaches to fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACK_fFVfbfk

But.. that was then.  How often do coaches (any of them) engage in that behavior today?  (not the changing of the lines.. they all do that).

Yesteryear doesn't win today.  last year everyone was all on about how great the Devils were and how they turned it around so fast... fast forward to now.

Brunette is the notable difference.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ... said:

Lindy Ruff (1997-2013):

They're not even comparable imo 

Ruff had to deal with Larry Quinn and golisano Ripping apart his roster every year, not signing his players 

And he still managed to put a good team on ice 

How people forget how buffalo nuered ruff Is mind blowing

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 2

Fire Don and Adams before the horn sounds tonight.  Hire Ruff as President by midnight.  Give him carte blanche for tomorrow’s deadline.  Tear it down again, but this time with someone who knows what he is doing.  First player traded should be whomever thought up that stupid stick salute protest. This group of players has the intestinal fortitude of a grape.

Edited by Eli Cash
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

19 hours ago, ... said:

Lindy Ruff (1997-2013):

Stats from Hockey DB.  DG wins 112 games played 256  equals .4375 win percentage

Stats from Hockey DB.  LR  wins 571 games played 1165 equals .490 win percentage

don g vs lindy.xlsx

Edited by MISabresFan

9 hours ago, Eli Cash said:

Fire Don and Adams before the horn sounds tonight.  Hire Ruff as President by midnight.  Give him carte blanche for tomorrow’s deadline.  Tear it down again, but this time with someone who knows what he is doing.  First player traded should be whomever thought up that stupid stick salute protest. This group of players has the intestinal fortitude of a grape.

He's a coach, not a team president or GM . I don't get this

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

They're not even comparable imo 

Ruff had to deal with Larry Quinn and golisano Ripping apart his roster every year, not signing his players 

And he still managed to put a good team on ice 

How people forget how buffalo nuered ruff Is mind blowing

Hasek would make any coach look good and get you in the playoffs.

When you look at the rosters when Ruff was in the playoffs, he didn't have any stinkin putty cats.

Edited by MISabresFan

1 hour ago, nucci said:

He's a coach, not a team president or GM . I don't get this

I am positive Lindy knows more about assembling a winner than anyone that has been in the front office since 2013.  Maybe GMKA is a genius, and just totally inhibited by Terry.  There’s probably a good chance of that.  However, I think Ruff brings more gravitas than KA, and certainly the rest of the clown show that has occupied upstairs since Regier’s departure.

Edited by Eli Cash

5 minutes ago, Eli Cash said:

I am positive Lindy knows more about assembling a winner than anyone that has been in the front office since 2013.  Maybe GMKA is a genius, and just totally inhibited by Terry.  There’s probably a good chance of that.  However, I think Ruff brings more gravitas than KA, and certainly the rest of the clown show that has occupied upstairs since Regier’s departure.

that's a low bar. I loved Ruff as a coach but there's no evidence he would be a good GM or President.

52 minutes ago, nucci said:

that's a low bar. I loved Ruff as a coach but there's no evidence he would be a good GM or President.

I won’t let facts get in the way of my irrational rant.  Haha.

• Haha (+1) 1

The Sabres are 29-30-5 for 64 pts and 18 games left.  Last year, they finished 42-33-7 for 91 pts.  How bad does their finish have to be for KA to fire DG?

11-5-2 gets them to 40-35-7 and 87 pts.

9-7-2 gets them to 38-37-7 and 83 pts.

7-9-2 gets them to 36-39-7 and 79 pts.

5-11-2 gets them to 34-41-7 and 75 pts.

IMHO, DG should get a pink slip no matter what, although I think he's definitely safe in the 87-pt scenario and likely safe in the 83-pt scenario.

Lindy would take this job in a heartbeat and he'd get much more out of this team.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Ruff had one of the deepest and most  dangerous teams But ownership decided to just destroy it. 

Ruff Would have had a cup or 2 if Terry was the Owner 

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would all be president of the team and won 7 stanley cups...