Buffalo Buzzwords You’re Tired of Hearing

RochesterExpat

21 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Being a proud Italian American West Side of Buffalo product I agree.  

I used to just cringe at it, now it is so nationally accepted, with humorous positive overtones, that I just let it go.   It would be offensive to almost any other race or ethnicity but it is ok now? 

But Mafia is not something nice, and it does not really mean family, as in what we think of as a real family.   A fantastic Italian American family tradition that we had in Buffalo was Sunday after church.   Get together and enjoy the day of rest, including eating a big meal with extended family in the early afternoon -  none of us ever once said its sure great to get the mafia together.   

This is a manufactured family, a minute fraction of the population, and designed to protect people who do illegal things.  

Biils Mafia is all about the only good trait of the authentic Sicilian Mafia ... loyalty.

• Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Bingo!!! I rarely dip my wings in the blue cheese. But I use the Celery as a shovel for the blue cheese. And it is very soothing.

Yes, the celery is to the blue cheese what the cigarette is to the nicotine.  It's the delivery device.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, postseasonblues said:

Of coarse you do. that's the way people talk. I'm not really sure what they are up to in Rochester, never have.

Come on over, I’ll host. The water has fluoride and the garbage comes on plates. The Amerks have won five playoff series in the last two years and it finally doesn’t smell like Kodak chemicals any longer.  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Biils Mafia is all about the only good trait of the authentic Sicilian Mafia ... loyalty.

Not a good take.   Loyalty to criminal behavior is not a good trait and loyalty out of fear is not real loyalty.  

Many Italian/Sicilian Americans had to deal with the stigma created by the real Mafia, and work even harder to overcome it.  

In today's hypersensitive politically correct world "Bills Mafia" gets a pass.  I find that fascinating given all of the other PC bull$hit that is out there.    

I don't cringe when I hear it anymore like I did years ago, but I won't miss it when it finally dies out.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

34 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Not a good take.   Loyalty to criminal behavior is not a good trait and loyalty out of fear is not real loyalty.  

Many Italian/Sicilian Americans had to deal with the stigma created by the real Mafia, and work even harder to overcome it.  

In today's hypersensitive politically correct world "Bills Mafia" gets a pass.  I find that fascinating given all of the other PC bull$hit that is out there.    

I don't cringe when I hear it anymore like I did years ago, but I won't miss it when it finally dies out.  

Donny Meatballs too.

Do you think we'd have a Pauly Pierogi?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Beef on Weck is still on the menu of every almost bar and restaurant in the region.   Not a niche thing, its everywhere.  

Agree, but how often do you see them ordered anymore?

For Beef on Weck my favorite Buffalo places are Schwabl's in West Seneca and Ulrich's Tavern on Ellicott Street in the city.  Ulrich's has that "old tavern" feel (I guess it's the oldest bar in the city).

22 hours ago, Norcal said:

WNY food is elite

I'm thankful that there is a Buffalo native who's opened up a bar near me here in Fort Worth, Texas.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Bingo!!! I rarely dip my wings in the blue cheese. But I use the Celery as a shovel for the blue cheese. And it is very soothing.

Generally I agree but if they came out too spicy hot, I'll dip in the blue.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yes, the celery is to the blue cheese what the cigarette is to the nicotine.  It's the delivery device.

No, there's more to it than that.  Celery also acts as a brush to scrub the hot sauce out of your mouth.  Both serve a purpose, and the celery is more than just blue cheese delivery.

21 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Generally I agree but if they came out too spicy hot, I'll dip in the blue.

No, there's more to it than that.  Celery also acts as a brush to scrub the hot sauce out of your mouth.  Both serve a purpose, and the celery is more than just blue cheese delivery.

Confused Britney Spears GIF

25 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Agree, but how often do you see them ordered anymore?

For Beef on Weck my favorite Buffalo places are Schwabl's in West Seneca and Ulrich's Tavern on Ellicott Street in the city.  Ulrich's has that "old tavern" feel (I guess it's the oldest bar in the city).

I'm thankful that there is a Buffalo native who's opened up a bar near me here in Fort Worth, Texas.

Wegmans has a premade sandwich section, they have Danny’s Favorite, turkey & avocado, chicken Caesar and Beef on Weck.   It’s one of their headliners.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve found generally speaking if you stay off of social media and avoid certain cable news networks that “PC *****” doesn’t really exist. Sure I see some silly Op-Eds in the NYT, but they’re no sillier than the Op-Eds in the WSJ. 

20 hours ago, #freejame said:

I’ve found generally speaking if you stay off of social media and avoid certain cable news networks that “PC *****” doesn’t really exist. Sure I see some silly Op-Eds in the NYT, but they’re no sillier than the Op-Eds in the WSJ. 

See also Americans aren't divided and the country isn't falling apart (in 2018 or 2022).

One thing I've learned in life is that when someone is trying to scare you, they're selling something (whether that's a personal interaction, a commercial or a political speech).

• Agree 1

Rochester Americans one of the worst arena set up outside of Syracuse Crunch to develop NHL prospects. The Buffalo Sabres need to sell the Rochester Americans to local buyers and move on from that. The Buffalo Sabres AHL farm team should be in Erie or Niagara County in a state of the art Sabres practice facility that holds 5,000 to 6,000 fans like the Vegas Golden Knights AHL farm team in Henderson a suburb of Las Vegas in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• dislike 1

25 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Rochester Americans one of the worst arena set up outside of Syracuse Crunch to develop NHL prospects. The Buffalo Sabres need to sell the Rochester Americans to local buyers and move on from that. The Buffalo Sabres AHL farm team should be in Erie or Niagara County in a state of the art Sabres practice facility that holds 5,000 to 6,000 fans like the Vegas Golden Knights AHL farm team in Henderson a suburb of Las Vegas in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Yes!!!

I'm sick of hearing this, too.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

This is a terrible take -  The Rochester arena is holding our prospects back.  Your the only one that thinks this though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.