5 players have been charged for the 2018 Hockey Canada event

Buffalonill

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

I don’t actually have an issue with how the NHL went about this. As always, I hope the justice system can find the truth and can hold everyone accountable for their actions one way or the other. 

Hockey Canada was the organization covering this up. The money they used to pay people off came from grassroots hockey families.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

A 24-year-old woman initially filed a lawsuit against Hockey Canada - which manages programmes and teams in the country from entry-level all the way to world championships and the Olympic Games - alleging that she had been assaulted by eight players on Canada's World Junior team in a hotel room that night.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68149315

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

I don’t actually have an issue with how the NHL went about this. As always, I hope the justice system can find the truth and can hold everyone accountable for their actions one way or the other. 

The league knew That's what Disgusting Imagine if the London police Didn't re-open the case This was getting swept under the rug again.

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

A 24-year-old woman initially filed a lawsuit against Hockey Canada - which manages programmes and teams in the country from entry-level all the way to world championships and the Olympic Games - alleging that she had been assaulted by eight players on Canada's World Junior team in a hotel room that night.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68149315

I have been trying to follow this case on social media, message boards, twitter, etc.  I've already started to see too many "its not big dea" and "Its boys being boys" responses to this.

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I have been trying to follow this case on social media, message boards, twitter, etc.  I've already started to see too many "its not big dea" and "Its boys being boys" responses to this.

Disgusting comments from people trying to sweep this away.

I’d like to add that the girl apparently agreed to sex with the one guy but him inviting/letting others join in was where everything went wrong.

Also, this wasn’t during the tournament, it happened in London, Ontario during a summertime fund raising event. The whole team was not there.

• Thanks (+1) 2

I thought there were 7 or 8 people involved though? So does that mean some non hockey players as well or people around but not engaged in the activity? idk, but the details are still vague obviously. 

Talk that this might not go to trial until 2026. These guys could be "on indefinite leave" for a while or forever. 

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I thought there were 7 or 8 people involved though? So does that mean some non hockey players as well or people around but not engaged in the activity? idk, but the details are still vague obviously. 

Talk that this might not go to trial until 2026. These guys could be "on indefinite leave" for a while or forever. 

I heard 7 or 8 last year as well, not sure if there is not enough evidence or they have an alibi.

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Everything is hearsay but word was that a few friends that weren’t on Team Canada were in the room too.

• Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Talk that this might not go to trial until 2026. These guys could be "on indefinite leave" for a while or forever

It's probably why the flyers were trying to unload Hart Fast in the summer

18 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Everything is hearsay but word was that a few friends that weren’t on Team Canada were in the room too.

All they need is one person to fold and all them will fall

Edited by Buffalonill

19 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

It's probably why the flyers were trying to unload Hart Fast in the summer

Could be, but they were holding out for a high price. 

It could also explain NJ's poor start. A little locker room distraction so to speak. 

I don't think there's any question these guys took part in a disgusting event. Likely criminal but definitely classless and morally wrong. It'll all come down to "consent" arguments though and high paid lawyers ripping this poor girl apart. Maybe times have changed, but historically these things don't go well for the victims unfortunately. Look at Ben Roethlisberger for example. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Freaking disgusting. I got nothin'. I despise anyone, man or woman, who sexually prey upon others. 

Definitely disgusting. Without question. Definitely despicable. I don't know if "prey upon" is the right word though. This isn't the same as a stalker or pulling someone off the street, that's predatory. You could make the argument that taking advantage of someone in a vulnerable position/situation is predatory, but I think if a lawyer went that route they'd probably weaken their case and lose. 

I'll say it out loud. How much of this stuff has gone on through the decades that we didn't hear about? How many of our idols have secrets from their past that would be criminal if word got out? I've heard stories from the WHL that I won't mention because they're second hand, but hockey culture has a deeper problem than this one incident.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Sports culture, not hockey culture, but times are changing. Tons of it has gone on, no doubt. Maybe it's being stopped now though. 

I would say, at least in Canada, it's absolutely hockey culture, which is the predominant sport. You don't get the god-like adoration of other sports figures as much here. And it starts in Junior hockey or earlier.

Edited by Sabres73
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Sports culture, not hockey culture, but times are changing. Tons of it has gone on, no doubt. Maybe it's being stopped now though. 

Yep, and it starts at a young age.  Student athletes get away with far too much in terms of personal conduct if they're exceptionally talented.  My son had a friend when he was in middle school.  He was a pretty happy-go-lucky kid and didn't look for trouble.  He got randomly jumped by one of the kids on the MS football team, got his nose bloodied, all that.  The football player wasn't injured at all.  My son's friend got suspended for fighting, the athlete got off scot-free.

And no, you're not ruining a budding athlete's career by holding them to the same standards as non-athletes.  My wife teaches high school and failed the place kicker on the football team.  There's "no pass, no play" state law.  The coach and even the principal tried to get my wife to pass the kid but he literally hadn't done ANYTHING all marking period, so she refused.  They were pissed but they were not going to push it because the team can get in trouble if they play an athlete that's not passing (forfeit games with ineligible players, disqualified from playoffs).  This was when the kid was a sophomore.  By the time he was a senior he recognized the value of being held accountable and literally thanked my wife for failing him.  He got a college football scholarship.

• Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Yep, and it starts at a young age.  Student athletes get away with far too much in terms of personal conduct if they're exceptionally talented. 

Or their parents are connected. We had this happen in Niagara Country a few years ago. Hockey/Rugby player, both parents lawyers. Truly a disgusting family with no remorse or accountability.  

https://www.the-independent.com/news/world/americas/crime/christopher-belter-rape-sexual-assault-case-b1960618.html

• Shocked 1

11 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

I would say, at least in Canada, it's absolutely hockey culture, which is the predominant sport. You don't get the god-like adoration of other sports figures as much here. And it starts in Junior hockey or earlier.

Oh in Canada hockey is definitely number one for sure, but it's the same sports culture issues in different sports in other countries so I'd still say it's sports in general. Soccer players are worshipped in Europe and Latin America. I'm not sure which sport is the biggest in the U.S.   Football certainly has the big moment and  tv event thing down but maybe basketball has the most hero worship. Baseball players have had the same sort of issues has hockey players. It's all the same. It was dismissed as "boys will be boys" for years, but as I said, maybe times are finally changing. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.