5 players have been charged for the 2018 Hockey Canada event

Buffalonill

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Yep, and it starts at a young age.  Student athletes get away with far too much in terms of personal conduct if they're exceptionally talented.  My son had a friend when he was in middle school.  He was a pretty happy-go-lucky kid and didn't look for trouble.  He got randomly jumped by one of the kids on the MS football team, got his nose bloodied, all that.  The football player wasn't injured at all.  My son's friend got suspended for fighting, the athlete got off scot-free.

And no, you're not ruining a budding athlete's career by holding them to the same standards as non-athletes.  My wife teaches high school and failed the place kicker on the football team.  There's "no pass, no play" state law.  The coach and even the principal tried to get my wife to pass the kid but he literally hadn't done ANYTHING all marking period, so she refused.  They were pissed but they were not going to push it because the team can get in trouble if they play an athlete that's not passing (forfeit games with ineligible players, disqualified from playoffs).  This was when the kid was a sophomore.  By the time he was a senior he recognized the value of being held accountable and literally thanked my wife for failing him.  He got a college football scholarship.

That sounds like the storyline for an episode of Friday Night Lights but it's a perfect example of what does happen for sure. As I've mentioned here before there's a hockey academy associated with the high school here and when my daughter was there Dylan Cozens was in it. Members of that academy literally ruled the school. They could do anything and were somewhat worshipped. Now some of them kept their profile low and worked on hockey and more hockey and Dylan was apparently one of those, but others not so much. Jake Virtanen was also a graduate of that program and he apparently was a total a-hole and when he walked down the hall with his pals he expected the seas to part for him. I also know there was a math teacher there that would "negotiate" final grades and would push up failing grades with points for how you dressed and other bs. It's definitely a deep cultural problem. 

My own experiences were in a different age but when I played hockey in high school I know I got away with a lot and in my final year when I was also on the football team my social status went right to the top. Heck, the principal of our high school was an ex CFL football star so to say the team had special status in that school was an understatement to say the least. That was a long time ago though. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.