Sabres Lines 1/3/24

Brawndo

48 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Presuming R Johnson isn't the odd man out next game, that's pretty much the best permutation of pairings they can come up with at this point in time.

While I do agree, E Johnson playing second-pairing minutes doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.......

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Samuelsson earned his way down to 3rd pair. 

Would love to see a Joker packaged in a trade to upgrade the defense.  A big, tough, veteran top 4 type in his prime years, that steady stay at home presence is missing.   

Edited by Pimlach

I was kind of hoping Donny would tinker with the forward lines too.  Maybe something like

Benson-Thompson-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Quinn
Skinner-Mittelstadt-Greenway
Girgensons-Krebs-Robinson/Olofsson

...to give Mitts a finisher.  (Note, this is not my idea; someone else posted it but I think it would be good to try.)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Vine Ok GIF

Maybe he's washed at this point, but 954 games played, 340 points, +7 is not a fraudulent career by any stretch.

He's a fraud in the sense of what he was brought here for.

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I came around to this watching his ridiculous reaction to getting a warranted extra two for instigating a fight.

Half of Marv's admonition: don't be dumb.

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

No, he is old.   The Avs would have kept him if he had more gas in the tank. 

Adams is the fraud. 

EJ will get traded at the deadline and then help a team that does not operate in chaos.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

While I do agree, E Johnson playing second-pairing minutes doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.......

It doesn't here either.  But, don't want to saddle the rookie with 2nd pairing minutes with a 2nd year player that seems to be overthinking his game.  Samuelsson needs 3rd line minutes to regroup/refocus and not to the point that Clifton above 3rd pairing instill confidence either.  Which leaves E Johnson, or Jokiharju or Dahlin for Power's partner.  Jokiharju doesn't mesh well with Power and Dahlin is a fixture on the top pairing as he's their top D man.

So, via a process of elimination: hellllllllo Erik Johnson, you're the next contestant on Can We Make Power Right?

And it is possible that the guys that are written in as cycling through the 3rd pairing could be used as more of a 2B pairing than a true 3 pairing also lightening Power's workload.  (Yeah, who are we kidding, Power will still end up with 24 minutes.  But we can hope, right?)

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I came around to this watching his ridiculous reaction to getting a warranted extra two for instigating a fight.

Half of Marv's admonition: don't be dumb.

Yes, because lethargic players that don't care are better to have on the roster because they always play clean and exhibit sportmanship.  More Olofsson and Jokiharju types for you PA.  They will never get into that situation.   Good and smart upstanding guys.  

EJ was upset by the refs explanation - "you guys were complaining too much in the last period".   I side with EJ on that.  Had the ref said "clean hit, so you are getting an extra 2 for instigating" he would have still been pissed, he would have still complained, but not to that extent.  

EJ comes from real hockey teams so he naturally defended his rookie linemate.  Buffalo hockey has not had that since the Briere/Drury teams.  Heck, that team had a coach that sent his players out to "run 'em".  

Quite a few Sabres fans do not like when a player shows emotion,  unless they are on the other team.  Then they wish that player was on our team.  Until they are, then they want them out because modern hockey has no place for that stuff.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

And what was that exactly? Also given the way things have happened this year, maybe it's not so much EJ but the coaching staff that is more at fault?

He's shown some leadership and fire along with what is likely to be an older players inability to be what he once was. 

4 hours ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Like the D shakeup. Muel and Clifton may not be that bad. Love the top 2 pairings. I think Robinson needs to sit this game. Girgs/Krebs/Loaf not a terrible 4th line. Some speed and some scoring skill could benefit. 

Disagree on Robinson.  Would prefer to see Krebs, Girgs and Robinson together.  I want to see a 4th line with speed and some grit.  The only place for VO is the press box IMHO.

13 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Honest question, does anyone honestly care what the line combos are? Call me when there are new players…

Or a new coaching staff....still hoping this will happen before it is too late, but doubtful when you have a team that embraces being dysfunctional.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.