After The Whistle Goes OFF On The Entire Sabres Organization

sabremike

13 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Man, some of this sounds awfullllllly familiar

Pretty much all of it, just insert the 2023 version of names over the long drought.  I find myself in agreement with a lot of their assessment.  Ownership and GM's have failed to build the right mix of talent and hire proven NHL caliber coaching.

• Agree 3

I haven’t listened yet. 

The thing that seems very different to me with this current mix of players, is that the issues seem quite fixable. Not “snap your fingers” fixable, but fixable. 

I wrote in another thread that the Sabres could be last year’s Canucks.  I look at what our healthy roster would look like next year without additions and with everyone a year older and it is a good roster that needs a couple of things.  

I’m very disappointed with how this season has gone thus far.  But I don’t feel the same sense of despair that I did in the last year of Botterill’s tenure or in the Krueger era.  A lot of really good pieces are still here and are very young.  As long as we can keep Dahlin, Thompson, Cozens, Power, Peterka, etc. from losing hope, I think this iteration of the team gets there. It is getting tough to hang in though.  

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Listened yesterday.

NOTE: If you are looking for it. Go to your favorite podcast feed - After the Whistle (Andrew Peters & Craig Rivet). If you don't know what a podcast is Google it. If you don't know what Google is, I can't help you. Oh and BTW, some good cussing/swearing throughout.

Some interesting nuggets from when Andrew was more on the "inside" of the organization: playing and later on their WGR show.... he is still pretty connected, and has been right on some early calls on Sabres actions....

Two realities:

• The team is soft and easy to play against (where have you heard that before). They have NO JAM in their game, sans some flashes from Krebs / Cozens here and there. Too young, and no vets who can protect the youngsters. Neither Craig nor Andrew think much of GMKA. 
  • Roster construction is focused on speed and skill (good), but does not have any supporting skills sets (players with any Jam). NHL teams know Sabres are young, soft, and can be pushed around without regards to any consequences. Players are not scared to push around Sabres. Who's going to do anything? There is nothing in the pipeline that will change this, and this team needs more than a few mid-season trades. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I haven’t listened yet. 

The thing that seems very different to me with this current mix of players, is that the issues seem quite fixable. Not “snap your fingers” fixable, but fixable. 

I wrote in another thread that the Sabres could be last year’s Canucks.  I look at what our healthy roster would look like next year without additions and with everyone a year older and it is a good roster that needs a couple of things.  

I’m very disappointed with how this season has gone thus far.  But I don’t feel the same sense of despair that I did in the last year of Botterill’s tenure or in the Krueger era.  A lot of really good pieces are still here and are very young.  As long as we can keep Dahlin, Thompson, Cozens, Power, Peterka, etc. from losing hope, I think this iteration of the team gets there. It is getting tough to hang in though.  

@Archie Lee - unfortunately, this was what was said LAST YEAR. GMKA brought back the entire roster (minus Vinnie to my reckoning) from last year. Really? The talk was just what you said: "A year older, build on last year...."

GMKA (with ownership and front office) signed off on the roster construction decisions. In preseason everyone in organization was talking about making the playoffs THIS YEAR (for all the reasons above).  

Take a listen to the pod. I will be interested in your reactions. 👍

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Listened yesterday.

NOTE: If you are looking for it. Go to your favorite podcast feed - After the Whistle (Andrew Peters & Craig Rivet). If you don't know what a podcast is Google it. If you don't know what Google is, I can't help you. Oh and BTW, some good cussing/swearing throughout.

Some interesting nuggets from when Andrew was more on the "inside" of the organization: playing and later on their WGR show.... he is still pretty connected, and has been right on some early calls on Sabres actions....

Two realities:

• The team is soft and easy to play against (where have you heard that before). They have NO JAM in their game, sans some flashes from Krebs / Cozens here and there. Too young, and no vets who can protect the youngsters. Neither Craig nor Andrew think much of GMKA. 
  • Roster construction is focused on speed and skill (good), but does not have any supporting skills sets (players with any Jam). NHL teams know Sabres are young, soft, and can be pushed around without regards to any consequences. Players are not scared to push around Sabres. Who's going to do anything? There is nothing in the pipeline that will change this, and this team needs more than a few mid-season trades. 

Nothing exactly groundbreaking here.  I think most of us know what the issues are.  

• Like (+1) 7

Injury updates from Meatballs WGR show today:

Tage - start skating w team for full contact practice today, may play this week (Thursday ?) - TBD

Tuch - listed DxD, - realistically a week- 10 days

Greenway - week - 10 days (could rejoin for games - will be nagging injury)

Z - 1 week, then DxD

Quinn - starting to skate w team this week; still aiming for early Jan (possibly a bit earlier depending on his response to practice)

58 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Craig and Andrew know too—it starts with Terry. 

All this. Neither of these two are winning awards for debate and logic reasoning, however there is a segment where they lay out how so many hires of Head Coaches, assistant coaches, GMs and other front office are/were unqualified.  I’ve never listened to the podcast prior to last night but listened to the show on WGR a few times before. Perhaps an element of sour grapes in being let go by the organization, but they were brutally honest about their assessment of the assistant coaches.  Peter’s asks what makes Matt Ellis qualified to run the Sabres Power Play. Something written many times on this board. But it feels different coming from former players.  Someone tell the Uber drivers to get their recording devices out in cities where Buffalo is playing road games so we can hear from Tuch or Dahlin. 

Also good comments about the forward line construction and the lack of change in roster.  Peter’s made a joke about more turnover in a 12U team.  So true.  Most teams have at least 3-4 new Forwards YoY, and they brought back the same team.  Olofsson included.  Again they were brutally honest that this was a KA failure.  You have too many skilled forwards that can’t forecheck. I was ambivalent about the two UFA Dmen Adams signed but right now it look like a fail.  And while I love the post game comments from Johnson and not questioning the leadership skills of EJ, it seems like a big overpay on Adams behalf to get someone/anyone with experience in the locker room.  Almost desperate.

• Like (+1) 1

I like how they said they wanted to say this before but because they worked for WGR, they basically had to be careful what and how they said it. 

He said Matt Ellis shouldn't be running the PP, give the board to Dahlin, he kinda trashed a lot of what's going on and it makes a lot of sense. 

Hire after hire, no coaching experience, Rolston, Krueger, Granato. 

Sad stuff in Sabre land. 

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I like how they said they wanted to say this before but because they worked for WGR, they basically had to be careful what and how they said it. 

He said Matt Ellis shouldn't be running the PP, give the board to Dahlin, he kinda trashed a lot of what's going on and it makes a lot of sense. 

Hire after hire, no coaching experience, Rolston, Krueger, Granato. 

Sad stuff in Sabre land. 

I’m not sure what you meant but hell yeah, hand the power play coaching over to the guys on the ice. Let them works out some ***** in practice and have at her. Can’t be any worse than the Matt Ellis of powerplay strategies. Did that guy ever sniff a PP😳in his life?

• Agree 3

54 minutes ago, inkman said:

A more well rounded roster.  

It's always about the roster.  Always has been and always will be.

Ownership has nothing to do with it.  Never has.

It's always about the roster.  The person in charge of setting the roster and the men charged with coaching the roster.

KA should feel a lot more heat at some point than Granato.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

It's always about the roster.  The person in charge of setting the roster and the men charged with coaching the roster.

IDK, according to Peters, ownership is the reason we still have Skinner on our roster with a multi-year $9 million contract.  I thought the podcast seemed to imply JBOT did not want to resign me, but Pegula made him do it.

I myself hold the opinion that GMKA is a "yes" man and took the job because Pegula had nobody else to turn to when he fired JBOT.

Edited by Carmel Corn

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

IDK, according to Peters, ownership is the reason we still have Skinner on our roster with a multi-year $9 million contract.  I thought the podcast seemed to imply JBOT did not want to resign me, but Pegula made him do it.

I myself hold the opinion that GMKA is a "yes" man and took the job because Pegula had nobody else to turn to when he fired JBOT.

Skinner is their best take and I agree 100%.  Addition by subtraction as they say.  Guy is an absolute disaster in terms of puck possession and no one (DG, Okposo, Dahlin) appears to be holding him accountable. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I don't believe that JBOT did not want to sign Skinner.  It has proven to be a good signing - not counting the RaKru years, of course.

I don't agree that KA is a *yes* man.  I think he was charged with taking the team to the next level after all the failed rebuild attempts.  He learned in the Assistant role (or whatever he was before being GM) and has grown with the team.  He hired Granato to be the teacher to get the boys to be men as they grew up.

32 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

it's always about the ownership. Owner hires and fires coaches and GMs

51 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

You say, "Ownership has nothing to do with it.  Never has". Then, "KA should feel a lot more heat at some point than Granato". Where exactly is the. "heat" on KA supposed to come from? You've contradicted yourself.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.