GDT November 30th Sabres @ Blues 8pm MSG, ESPN+

Shoot da Puck

7 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Again, we can buy things but if there's no store to buy from its a moot point in terms of goalies.

Exactly.   I'd take another top 4 dman myself, if they make a trade.   Actually GMKA HAS to make a move !!!

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

In the bartering system, sometimes you have to create the store by offering a deal. You may be correct, but I'm suspecting that's not the case with all 31 possible stores out there.

There is no goalie that is going to make a difference available.    Improve the D in front of what they have is a better way to go 

Edited by Crusader1969

Just now, thewookie1 said:

Presently too many teams are in the race and the ones not in the race aren't holding goalies of value.

Maybe. Some teams are already looking to the future though. But I am aware of what your saying. I don't believe Adams options are as limited as you do is all.

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Exactly.   I'd take another top 4 dman myself, if they make a trade.   Actually GMKA HAS to make a move !!!

There is no goalie that is going to make a difference.   Improve the D in front of what they have is a better way to go 

This to......

• Like (+1) 1

That was hard to watch. Enjoyed the second period but wtf was that? Not sure why everyone was so quick to annoint UPL the guy to carry this team to glory but I suppose KA has left the team with few choices after what 4 seasons without fixing the problem. That being said the sloppy team defence didn’t help UPL out much. Its beginning to look like this team is playing win one lose one this season. I can’t imagine they’ll string together any streaks with the lack of any noticable defensive systems in play. Seems they’re being asked to outscore their opponents but its hard to even do that without a servicable power play. Anyways on to the next one.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, bunomatic said:

That was hard to watch. Enjoyed the second period but wtf was that? Not sure why everyone was so quick to annoint UPL the guy to carry this team to glory but I suppose KA has left the team with few choices after what 4 seasons without fixing the problem. That being said the sloppy team defence didn’t help UPL out much. Its beginning to look like this team is playing win one lose one this season. I can’t imagine they’ll string together any streaks with the lack of any noticable defensive systems in play. Seems they’re being asked to outscore their opponents but its hard to even do that without a servicable power play. Anyways on to the next one.

There hasn’t been a conceivable way Adams could have addressed the goaltending in 3 years, it takes time 

Power is horrible right now. But most of the D is a skating disaster at this time. I don't know if it's coaching, if it's players not being held accountable, if it's youth or if it's just bad luck. What I do know is the constant turning over the puck routine, no urgency to move it up ice, out of the zone, even with an air flip, ya, that's a real problem amd it's self inflected deadly wounds many times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The team that played the last two games are making the playoffs with league average goaltending. Add Thompson and Quinn in the mix and we're capable of making a run.

Sadly, our only hope at league average goaltending would be Levi finding his game. UPL showed some hope, but league average goaltending doesn't lay the egg he laid tonight, even on their worst days 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Power is horrible right now. But most of the D is a skating disaster at this time. I don't know if it's coaching, if it's players not being held accountable, if it's youth or if it's just bad luck. What I do know is the constant turning over the puck routine, no urgency to move it up ice, out of the zone, even with an air flip, ya, that's a real problem amd it's self inflected deadly wounds many times.

We do not move the puck out of our own zone with much authority. Often feels like a combination of indecision and lack of confidence.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

I was in the pantry housing Double Stuff Oreos. Maybe that was the problem. Next stop: Fridge!

Double Stuffed Oreos are THE BEST packaged cookie, bar none, which is why I don’t have any at home! Dunked in milk long enough to soak into cookie then mmmmmmmmmm! Will Ferrell Sigh GIF by filmeditor

They outplayed the Blues.

Too many defensive breakdowns and no key saves.

The only positive takeaway I have is they didn’t quit and played well for 50 minutes.

I am frustrated but if they keep playing like that and get a bit better defense and average goaltending they get above .500.

On to the next one.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Very sloppy game at times for the Sabres. 

KA is not going to do anything. I'm sorry, but he has had 4 years to fix the goalie problem. Not going to happen now. Which is sad.

Everyone complaining about poor defense, I know, but we are happy with the offensive side of our defense. But not sure you can have it both ways. To get better defense I believe you will have to give up some on offense. To play this offensive D game you have to have a true elite goalie who can bail out the defense on a nightly basis. We don't even have close to what we need. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Agreed. Power looks like he made no physical progress this off-season. Dude needs to get stronger and faster. We have too many players lacking in speed. That demands improved skating and building power in their bodies. Multiple players need that. 

But no decent defensive system. No aggressiveness in moving players out of the slot. Poor positioning. Who teaches all our defensemen to always stand to the side and let the opponent just camp out in front of our goalie? 

So true on lack of aggressiveness leaving our zone and attacking the opponent’. Passive. Uncertainty. It’s like they don’t know what to do on the attack. 

We got a lot of shots and out played them but our shots were not consistently deadly. They had way fewer chances and capitalized almost every time. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well there ya go. 

Offense pretty good. Defense a pile of crap. That's pretty much on brand for this current team. (and that's team defense, not just defensemen)

No Clifton to blame this time so enjoy dumping on Power and UPL or whoever. It makes no difference. Nothing will change. 

I blame management and coaching staff.

Management for not addressing the issues on the roster, i.e. goaltending, defense.

Coaching because the power play looks like a limp sausage that a blue pill couldn't help, defenseman that for some unknown reason continue to cough up the puck in their own zone, in some cases actually passing it back in to our own zone right to opponents, and lastly, I think the coaching staff keeps our rosters balls in a jar for the first period.

That is all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I want to say this team just doesn’t have the DNA to play defense - I’ll have to see those heat charts but I just don’t think we’re ever really pinned down in our own end too much or out shot or see the team possess the puck more then us or whatever metric we’re using these days.  

It’s freaking goaltending.  

If we have a team Save % over .910 what’s our record?  14-7?  At least 3 more wins easy.  

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

I blame management and coaching staff.

Management for not addressing the issues on the roster, i.e. goaltending, defense.

Coaching because the power play looks like a limp sausage that a blue pill couldn't help, defenseman that for some unknown reason continue to cough up the puck in their own zone, in some cases actually passing it back in to our own zone right to opponents, and lastly, I think the coaching staff keeps our rosters balls in a jar for the first period.

That is all.

Well said...

• Like (+1) 2

I still see this team lack the ability to go the front. This is the laziest sabres team I have seen in a long time. 

They have all these guys circling around the net and boom, back to the point to pass around the perimeter again. Take a hit, get to the dirty area! I don't know if this is coaching or the players being pusscakes

• Like (+1) 3

This team is closer to playoff caliber than it appears. Just got to find a way to put it all together and get a spark from Tage and Quinn. I thought Ryan Johnson was very, very good tonight.

As an ex Buffalonian I appreciate the camaraderie on this board. It's not easy being in sportsfan hell  for 50 years. 🤣🫡

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.