Tage and Quinn Injury Updates

bob_sauve28

39 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Sabres were 3 points out on Thanksgiving with 2 teams between them and a playoff spot (3, if you count the Pens who were tied with the Sabres but with a game in hand; and the Sabres beat them in regulation the next night).

We are 

DOOMED!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

Sabres were 3 points out on Thanksgiving with 2 teams between them and a playoff spot (3, if you count the Pens who were tied with the Sabres but with a game in hand; and the Sabres beat them in regulation the next night).

I thought I remembered they were lower based on points %, but it is very likely I am mistaken on that ... honestly that does not sound so bad!

One thing on Quinn. The more I read about this (and I have a friend who is an orthopedic doctor), the more I doubt he's going to bring anything much to the table in January. From what I've read, it takes 4-6 months before one can engage in physical activity. But typically 6-9 months before one can engage in heavier, strenuous activity. Then, there is hockey conditioning. I would bet mid-February before he really starts playing and first of March before we see him near full strength on the ice. That may be pessimistic, but I've seen others take longer. The whole Aaron Rodgers return this year seems highly risky. the 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

One thing on Quinn. The more I read about this (and I have a friend who is an orthopedic doctor), the more I doubt he's going to bring anything much to the table in January. From what I've read, it takes 4-6 months before one can engage in physical activity. But typically 6-9 months before one can engage in heavier, strenuous activity. Then, there is hockey conditioning. I would bet mid-February before he really starts playing and first of March before we see him near full strength on the ice. That may be pessimistic, but I've seen others take longer. The whole Aaron Rodgers return this year seems highly risky. the 

One thing here: hockey players typically have quicker returns from Archilles injuries, as the skating boot gives a lot of support so that there is less chance of a re-injury, and cuts down on the strain.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

One thing here: hockey players typically have quicker returns from Archilles injuries, as the skating boot gives a lot of support so that there is less chance of a re-injury, and cuts down on the strain.

And then there's the question of the severity of the injury.  Any talk of typical timeframes for these kind of recoveries, they don't account for the severity.

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Hoping he gets a stint in Rochester, at least get him 'somewhat' up to speed for a couple weeks.

There will be a lot saying 'if he is good enough to skate/play than we need him in Buffalo', but I think some time in Rochester would make sense.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Hoping he gets a stint in Rochester, at least get him 'somewhat' up to speed for a couple weeks.

There will be a lot saying 'if he is good enough to skate/play than we need him in Buffalo', but I think some time in Rochester would make sense.

Yes. Agreed. That’s where he should get in shape and get the rust off before we put him the line-up. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching the Sabres trying to score against Vejmelka with poor results last night...Maybe it was a fever dream, but I thought I noticed Tage playing on the PK. If this is true, why would Granato put him at further risk with the wrist injury from a blocked shot on a PK still hampering his play? Someone please confirm. Our top scorer is still working on his hands, which is a major part of his offense, which is so important for the Sabres. I know he's a good PKer but he cannot be risked with this kind of duty anymore. He's too valuable.

Edited by Quint
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Quint said:

I was watching the Sabres trying to score against Vejmelka with poor results last night...Maybe it was a fever dream, but I thought I noticed Tage playing on the PK. If this is true, why would Granato put him at further risk with the wrist injury from a blocked shot on a PK still hampering his play? Someone please confirm. Our top scorer is still working on his hands, which is a major part of his offense, which is so important for the Sabres. I know he's a good PKer but he cannot be risked with this kind of duty anymore. He's too valuable.

If you look at the PK earlier in the year, the preferred unit out there was Johnson and Sameulsson on D, and Thompson and Greenway up front.  What does that have in common? 4 of the tallest guys with the best reach on the team.  For being good at PK, on the surface I think it is a good coaching decision, here is why:

When you watch the Sabres allowing chances on the PK or getting scored on, it is MOSTLY due to guys getting out of position.  The PK 4 man 'box' often becomes less of a box and they leave their spot...it becomes a rhombus...a trapezoid...then eventually a triangle or even a straight line. when guys get that far out of position, that is when the opposing team gets open shots and good looks and scores....

BUT, take a look at when you had Johnson and Samuelson on D and Thompson and Greenway on forward....Between their height/reach and the length of the stick they use, they cover a LOT of territory by just holding their position. They don't have to chase...they can stay in their zone and close of passing lanes and even tip passes and clear the zone.  They are more likely to maintain that 4 man PK box.....they DID do that...and they ARE/Were effective penalty killers.  To get those guys out there (or other guys with a long reach/discipline) is much more effective than guys who chase the puck.

Of course as you said, Thompson on the PK though brings other issues...he is getting ice time/getting tired when he isn't using that to provide offense (although he DOES have 2 shorthanded goals I think). And he is exposing himself to shots from the point that can hit him.

2 hours ago, Quint said:

In the last two games, to the best of my recollection he has been out on the second unit PK which is different from 1st unit work. I  was as concerned with his 1st unit PK as you were but sometimes you are setting the second unit for the return to full strength or other match up reasons. Still can't explain his scoring issues other than he is over handling the puck.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Jorcus said:

In the last two games, to the best of my recollection he has been out on the second unit PK which is different from 1st unit work. I  was as concerned with his 1st unit PK as you were but sometimes you are setting the second unit for the return to full strength or other match up reasons. Still can't explain his scoring issues other than he is over handling the puck.   

I compare it to McD/Dorsey trying to change Josh Allen's mindset. Asking him to do or not do things that he's used to doing has hampered his extreme skillset and his ability and instinct to score. That and the busted wrist must have effects on the precision he shows with his hands. Not to mention a lot of errant passes that aren't in his wheelhouse. Plus he's pressing.

Edited by Quint

26 minutes ago, Jorcus said:

Yup.  Tage is overhandling the puck, making too many moves, passing up open shots, and obviously pressing.  

His game away from the puck was pretty good before the injury but it is not good right now.   I would describe his play away from the puck as coasting, strolling, and gliding around while using his stick, not his body, to check.   Tuch - pretty much the same.  

Benson is making that line a #1 line right now.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

89rw92.jpg

Wonder which D-man sits.  We already know where slot 12 is open on the F roster.  (And with this being his 1st game back would prefer they not have him pencilled into either of the top 2 lines tomorrow night.  Thursday?  Well, lets see how he does tomorrow.)

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Wonder which D-man sits.  We already know where slot 12 is open on the F roster.  (And with this being his 1st game back would prefer they not have him pencilled into either of the top 2 lines tomorrow night.  Thursday?  Well, lets see how he does tomorrow.)

They will sit Ryan Johnson because they are stupid. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

They will sit Ryan Johnson because they are stupid. 

I want to give you a round of Boos for writing this -- but that would be crass hypocrisy on my part because I thought the same thing.

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.