They need to sit Cozens until his injury heals

steveoat87

8 hours ago, steveoat87 said:

In his current state he is ineffective and a detriment.  He clearly has vision problems which are slowing him down—it seems like he is checking himself and uncomfortable.

I am tired of the overblown Cozens criticism.  It is getting to the point that any perceived "mistake" is magnified by some of the folks here at Sabrespace.  It’s getting to the same level of baloney as the old Dahlin threads.   

Ok - He is not playing as well as last year, he started slow (like most of the team did) and he is hurt.  Who on this team is playing better now than they did last season?   Peterka, Greenway, UPL, and really no one else.  

Bench Cozens and who plays center in his place?  He logged 21 minutes.  Who do you want to play those 21 minutes?  Jost?  Krebs?  Biro?   

He just scored last night.  He had 3 SOG and many more shot attempts.   He was working hard out there.  He should be taking off the visor soon.  Keep playing him and let him work through it and figure it out.   

Before you tell me he was on the ice for the OT goal consider this - Last night Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson were all -2 with just 1 assist between the 3 of them.   Should they sit as well? 

What exactly is Samuelsson excuse lately?  He is failing to clear the net, failing to clear rebounds, and bringing even less physical play to the game than an injured Cozens.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I am tired of the overblown Cozens criticism.  It is getting to the point that any perceived "mistake" is magnified by the folks here at Sabrespace.  Its getting to the same level of baloney as the old Dahlin threads.   

Ok - He is not playing as well as last year, he started slow (like most of the team did) and he is hurt.  Who on this team is playing better now than they did last season?   Peterka, Greenway, UPL, and really no one else.  

Bench Cozens and who plays center in his place?  He logged 21 minutes.  Who do you want to play those 21 minutes?  Jost?  Krebs?  Biro?   

He just scored last night.  He had 3 SOG and many more shot attempts.   He was working hard out there.  He should be taking off the visor soon.  Keep playing him and let him work through it and figure it out.   

Before you tell me he was on the ice for the OT goal consider this - Last night Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson were all -2 with just 1 assist between the 3 of them.   Should they sit as well? 

What exactly is Samuelsson excuse lately?  He is failing to clear the net, failing to clear rebounds, and bringing even less physical play to the game than an injured Cozens.  

I will agree he played with more energy last night, but IMHO he looked very lazy against the Hawks the game before.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm halfway in between viewpoints on Cozens.  Last year I though the was given more credit than his play deserved. Yes he put in a 30 goal season and thats great, but I thought he was awful at defensive plays and positioning.

This year it is the opposite. He IS not playing as well as last year, but some of the comments on this board have him as being borderline useless.  Not there either.

He wasn't as good as many thought last year, hes not as bad as many think this year. Still want to see him 'find his game' and be better this year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

I can’t take any thread seriously if you can’t get the super famous, super publicized player’s name spelled correctly.  Are you even trying? 

Imagine a line of Dylan Couzens, Sam Reinhardt, and Jason Pomminstein. Now that’s a dangerous Sabers team! 

Edited by #freejame
Good to see the filter still works
  • Haha (+1) 3

• SDS changed the title to They need to sit Cozens until his injury heals
7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I am tired of the overblown Cozens criticism.  It is getting to the point that any perceived "mistake" is magnified by some of the folks here at Sabrespace.  It’s getting to the same level of baloney as the old Dahlin threads.   

I disagree with this, not benching a player because "who are we starting in his place" just means we're not playing our best players. I see nothing wrong with benching a player who is not producing. I don't really agree with Cozens yet, he shows toughness, scores (not as much as last season at this point) but I do see him giving up the puck which I don't like to see and if it continues I'd sit him. 

Power should 100% be sitting for his play though, that dude has been an absolute liability this season (I'm not totally down on him) since I remember that Dahlin took some time but he has been brutal this season imo. As scary as this sounds I'd take my chances with Bryson over him at this point, yeah he's been that rough!

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I disagree with this, not benching a player because "who are we starting in his place" just means we're not playing our best players. I see nothing wrong with benching a player who is not producing. I don't really agree with Cozens yet, he shows toughness, scores (not as much as last season at this point) but I do see him giving up the puck which I don't like to see and if it continues I'd sit him. 

Power should 100% be sitting for his play though, that dude has been an absolute liability this season (I'm not totally down on him) since I remember that Dahlin took some time but he has been brutal this season imo. As scary as this sounds I'd take my chances with Bryson over him at this point, yeah he's been that rough!

Cozens and Power, both who you want to sit, each have 9 points and are tied for 7th on the team in points.  Not producing is a problem for almost every player on this roster when compared to last season.   Dahlin, Tuch, Thompson, and Skinner are all behind last years pace, even more so than Cozens and Power.  Why not sit them all?     

Look, I see that Cozens is having a hard time.  I get it.  He scored in the last game, he works, he cares, he just needs to work his way out of it.  I am probably in the minority here but I believe you have to let him play his way out of it.   I don’t think treating him like a bantam level player is going  to help him.  

Next game let’s roll out these three centers: Mitts, Jost, and Krebs, and put Cozens on the bench.  Do you really think this is starting our best players?    We will probably lose another 2 points to Pittsburgh.  But hey, we sure showed Cozens.  

When should he come back?    After two games?   After skating 100 mountain drills at practice like on TV? 

Power?   sure bench him too.   We are playing 7 defenders anyway.  Let Ryan Johnson or Joker play 22 minutes a night for the next week while we teach Power a lesson. 

good grief. 

24 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Cozens and Power, both who you want to sit, each have 9 points and are tied for 7th on the team in points.  Not producing is a problem for almost every player on this roster when compared to last season.   Dahlin, Tuch, Thompson, and Skinner are all behind last years pace, even more so than Cozens and Power.  Why not sit them all?     

Look, I see that Cozens is having a hard time.  I get it.  He scored in the last game, he works, he cares, he just needs to work his way out of it.  I am probably in the minority here but I believe you have to let him play his way out of it.   I don’t think treating him like a bantam level player is going  to help him.  

Next game let’s roll out these three centers: Mitts, Jost, and Krebs, and put Cozens on the bench.  Do you really think this is starting our best players?    We will probably lose another 2 points to Pittsburgh.  But hey, we sure showed Cozens.  

When should he come back?    After two games?   After skating 100 mountain drills at practice like on TV? 

Power?   sure bench him too.   We are playing 7 defenders anyway.  Let Ryan Johnson or Joker play 22 minutes a night for the next week while we teach Power a lesson. 

good grief. 

I didn't say sit Cozens... Yet. 

Or here is a concept if Cozens is still having issues... Bring up Kulich who is actually playing well and see if he can give us a spark and if he does maybe it will light a bit of a fire under Cozens to start playing like we know he can. We're supposed to have the deepest prospect pool in the NHL, isn't it time to start using it to our advantage? 

You're not making much sense, so guys who arent producing much , if we bench them we'll lose points to Pittsburgh? You think benching a struggling Owen Power is truly going to make us lose 2 points? So we should just let Power derail the season because he was the #1 overall pick? The lesson should be if you play like crap i don't care if you were the #1 overall pick your ass is sitting for someone who feels like showing up each night. 

12 hours ago, steveoat87 said:

In his current state he is ineffective and a detriment.  He clearly has vision problems which are slowing him down—it seems like he is checking himself and uncomfortable.

Not true. He wasn't playing well BEFORE his injury. For whatever reason(s) he's not playing as well as last year but that brings up the usual Sabres problem. You can't bench poor play (aside from a fringe guy) because they have no real replacements. and thus no accountability. 

If Kulich is playing that well, by all means bring him up for a look but not to replace Cozens. As bad as he has been, after Mitts he's the best center we have at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I didn't say sit Cozens... Yet. 

Or here is a concept if Cozens is still having issues... Bring up Kulich who is actually playing well and see if he can give us a spark and if he does maybe it will light a bit of a fire under Cozens to start playing like we know he can. We're supposed to have the deepest prospect pool in the NHL, isn't it time to start using it to our advantage? 

You're not making much sense, so guys who arent producing much , if we bench them we'll lose points to Pittsburgh? You think benching a struggling Owen Power is truly going to make us lose 2 points? So we should just let Power derail the season because he was the #1 overall pick? The lesson should be if you play like crap i don't care if you were the #1 overall pick your ass is sitting for someone who feels like showing up each night. 

You’re confusing Cozens and Power in my comments.   See @PerreaultForeverpost.  Bring up Kulich and  play him at 3C, keep Cozens at 2C, Keep Mitts at 1C.  We have nothing else.   As “bad” as Cozens is right now, he is miles ahead of Krebs and Jost, our other centers.  

I think Cozens is coming out of it.  The shield will be gone soon.  Let him play his way back.  And play  him with a stable line for once.  He is always the center bring up the rookies or carrying the weaker players - ever notice that?   Ever wonder why?  

Power - we already play 7 defense because we have 4 garbage forwards in Krebs, VO, KO, and Jost.  Why are you not calling to replace the worst players, instead of 2 of our better players. 

If you’re so set on benching Power then play 6 defenders and add a 12th forward. Then you can watch both Joker and Johnson go from 10 sheltered mins to 20+ minutes and see how that works.   Joker struggles in high minutes, we already know that.  Johnson might be ok, but I’ll bet he starts to break down if asked to take Powers 22-24 minutes per night for the next 4 games.  But hey, you sure showed Power. 

The best thing that can happen to Power is that he gets fed up at himself and starts pushing back, like Dahlin did.  Growing pains, he literally just turned 21 this week.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The best thing that can happen to Power is that he gets fed up at himself and starts pushing back, like Dahlin did.

Powers has shown no evidence he can play with snarl… At 6’6” and age 22… kid plays like a wuss for a big D-man…

Imagine a 22 year old Benson at 6’6”… Kid is fearless.

Both Power and Samuelson should be embarrassed at their lack of physical play…

Embarrassed.

Interesting how height of a player should automatically mean the level of snarl or grit or sandpaper of a player. 🤔

I guess that perceived and expected concept will never go away.

There are a bunch of players that are under 5’ 11” that played and play with a boatload of snarl grit and sandpaper. There are a bunch of players that are over 6’ 2” that do not/did not. 

I think the proportionality of height and how “mean” they play… Is outdated and very inaccurate. It should die a proper death just like the goon concept died. Although some like to hang onto it wishing for old times. Old times it will never ever ever return again. I remember those times very well… And they were exciting… But they are dead now. As much as one clenches their fists, it’s not returning.

40 minutes ago, Believer said:

Powers has shown no evidence he can play with snarl… At 6’6” and age 22… kid plays like a wuss for a big D-man…

Embarrassed.

I wanted this kid to become a bit more like Pronger due to his size. It is not in his DNA to play that way. However, some push back will get him some room, respect and confidence.

Dahlin doesn’t drop the mitts but he engages in scrums, hits hard and will retaliate if someone wrongs him or a teammate. Power needs to ramp this up.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, French Collection said:

I wanted this kid to become a bit more like Pronger due to his size. It is not in his DNA to play that way. However, some push back will get him some room, respect and confidence.

Dahlin doesn’t drop the mitts but he engages in scrums, hits hard and will retaliate if someone wrongs him or a teammate. Power needs to ramp this up.

This is true. 
I think Power will get there. I really do. I think he’ll add a little pushback and use his weight to his advantage as he ages. I’m not in the least bit worried about Power. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

You’re confusing Cozens and Power in my comments.   See @PerreaultForeverpost.  Bring up Kulich and  play him at 3C, keep Cozens at 2C, Keep Mitts at 1C.  We have nothing else.   As “bad” as Cozens is right now, he is miles ahead of Krebs and Jost, our other centers.  

I think Cozens is coming out of it.  The shield will be gone soon.  Let him play his way back.  And play  him with a stable line for once.  He is always the center bring up the rookies or carrying the weaker players - ever notice that?   Ever wonder why?  

Power - we already play 7 defense because we have 4 garbage forwards in Krebs, VO, KO, and Jost.  Why are you not calling to replace the worst players, instead of 2 of our better players. 

If you’re so set on benching Power then play 6 defenders and add a 12th forward. Then you can watch both Joker and Johnson go from 10 sheltered mins to 20+ minutes and see how that works.   Joker struggles in high minutes, we already know that.  Johnson might be ok, but I’ll bet he starts to break down if asked to take Powers 22-24 minutes per night for the next 4 games.  But hey, you sure showed Power. 

The best thing that can happen to Power is that he gets fed up at himself and starts pushing back, like Dahlin did.  Growing pains, he literally just turned 21 this week.  

Umm, he had a stable line most all of last year and it was really effective when treated as the 3rd line and still was effective for a month or so after it became the 2nd line.  Yes, it had the 2 rookies on it, and everybody loved that line.  Didn't hear any complaints about Cozens getting stuck with rookies last year.

Cozens has a stable line now.  Until Thompson comes back he likely stays between Skinner and Tuch.  Expect he would've had a stable line prior to that had Quinn been healthy, but that ship sailed months ago.  Granato has been trying to find lines that work with less success than he had last year.

But Cozens hasn't been the guy skating with the rookie on a regular basis this year - that's been Thompson and Mittelstadt.

Personally, expect Cozens cares too much and ends up gripping the stick a little too tight at times.  Expect that having the players think a bit more about D has him thinking a bit more on the ice as well this year.  Hoping getting that goal in DC and getting rid of the fishbowl lets him finally get his mojo back.  He's been playing between Skinner and Tuch since Tommer went out.  Can't really ask for much of a better opportunity to succeed than that; expecially now that Tuch seems to have his stride back.  (Hopefully that isn't short lived and he doesn't end up retweaking whatever it was that was messing with his skating.)

46 minutes ago, Believer said:

Embarrassed.

Well, Power just turned 21 on Wednesday.  At 6'6' and 218lbs, I will agree that he needs to play with more physical presence.  I like defenseman that bang forwards at every opportunity. 

This is something Power will have to do if he wants to reach his potential.  Last game he got run by Wilson several times.  Greenway was there to put an end to it but Power will see more of that until he decides to push back.   Not that Power has to take on a heavyweights either, but he does need to play with much more physicality.  Clifton (another of the hated here because he made mistakes his first month)  is only 5'11 and 190 and he can pack some power in that frame of his but so much of it is mentality.  

I recall Dahlin getting bashed around a lot in his first 3 years, with no help from teammates.   I think it was after the 2022 All Star game that he really started to push back and he took on some tough middleweights.  His time with Hedberg at the All Star game seemed to help mature him.  Power needs to do what Dahlin did - get more physical and give himself some room to play.  

Samuelsson is 23, 6'4' and 231.  A big guy who has the frame to get even stronger.  He baffles me this year.  For several shifts he is automatic and completely solid.  Then the next one you see player get behind him and crash the net for a goal (Appleton), or he is lazy clearing rebounds and bodies around the net. He was been inconsistent this season.  

Defenseman do not start their peak until later so you just have to stick with them.  

Are we going to bench every player that makes a mistake so we can replace them with minor league players?  They are already griping their sticks to tight.  

We might have a great prospect pool but they are teenagers.  We have very little NHL depth on this team.  

Speaking of Benson.  Did you notice how much time John Carlson of Washington, their big veteran defenseman, spent messing with Benson?  Benson is fearless.  They had several little tussles and even a few after the whistle.  Carlson kept it clean, but several times Carlson had to back Benson down.  It was pretty funny for me to see that actually.   Benson's intensity and determination reminds me of Danny Gare, but without the 70's fighting aspect.  

50 minutes ago, French Collection said:

People forget that Pronger was a big snarling kitty cat when he was Power's age.  At Hartford he took stupid penalties, made all the mistakes young defensemen make, and no one feared him - there were lots of big tough guys out there.  His first year in St Louis that continued,   His second year in St Louis he got the strength to match his size and he changed.  After that he became a big mean beast.  

Power is not Pronger, and the NHL today is not the NHL of the 90's.  None of the best defenseman in todays NHL play like Pronger.  

We can all agree that Power has to play meaner. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Umm, he had a stable line most all of last year and it was really effective when treated as the 3rd line and still was effective for a month or so after it became the 2nd line.  Yes, it had the 2 rookies on it, and everybody loved that line.  Didn't hear any complaints about Cozens getting stuck with rookies last year.

Cozens has a stable line now.  Until Thompson comes back he likely stays between Skinner and Tuch.  Expect he would've had a stable line prior to that had Quinn been healthy, but that ship sailed months ago.  Granato has been trying to find lines that work with less success than he had last year.

But Cozens hasn't been the guy skating with the rookie on a regular basis this year - that's been Thompson and Mittelstadt.

Personally, expect Cozens cares too much and ends up gripping the stick a little too tight at times.  Expect that having the players think a bit more about D has him thinking a bit more on the ice as well this year.  Hoping getting that goal in DC and getting rid of the fishbowl lets him finally get his mojo back.  He's been playing between Skinner and Tuch since Tommer went out.  Can't really ask for much of a better opportunity to succeed than that; expecially now that Tuch seems to have his stride back.  (Hopefully that isn't short lived and he doesn't end up retweaking whatever it was that was messing with his skating.)

Yes you did hear some complaints and they were from me.    Because for most of the mid-season DG did in fact shelter Quinn and Peterka in the 3rd period against big physical teams, and Cozens moved from line to line.   It was incredible that he got 31 goals and played a strong two way game given all the combination and roles he had.  That is the guy I want back.  

Cozens has been with Skinner and Tuch for one week - I guess that is stability in this hectic season.  He was with Tage and Tuch for about one week earlier in the season.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Dahlin doesn’t drop the mitts but he engages in scrums, hits hard and will retaliate if someone wrongs him or a teammate. Power needs to ramp this up

Great description of a physical D-man… Dahlin is a terrific example for Power and Samuelson…

5 hours ago, Believer said:

Embarrassed.

Power is 21 years and 2 days old.  He is not a physically aggressive player.  Maybe he can grow into it a bit like Dahlin did.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Again, and I'll state it for the 3rd time (not being a tool I just think you are misreading something), I don't want Cozens benched, although his scoring is down a bit he still brings toughness, he can still score and his play isn't so bad that he needs to be benched right now.

Power I think 100% needs to be benched, not only is his play really bad, it's detrimental to the team and imo has caused us to lose at least 2 games that I saw where he was not taking the guy who scored the goal. I don't remember the exact games but he is sturggling mightily this season. That doesn't mean I've given up on him or want him traded etc. I'm just saying maybe a few games watching above in the press box will do him some good because his confidence is pretty bad which dictates how he's playing right now. 

That's all I meant, I think for the most part most of us want the same things, just to see this team succeed but sometimes addition by subtraction is the way to go imo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.