They need to sit Cozens until his injury heals

steveoat87

2 hours ago, Believer said:

Great description of a physical D-man… Dahlin is a terrific example for Power and Samuelson…

Dahlin isn't  having a great year (but he has been playing better that last 2 weeks).  He currently isn't in the discussion for the Norris.  He isn't leading the team, carrying it on his back to wins game after game. He isn't dropping the gloves.  But yet, he seems to be more 'likeable' to me as I watch him play.   

Not likeable as in "he is our superstar so we have to like him" but more as in  "I like his play even when he is having a bad game and just is someone I am glad is on this team/in the city of Buffalo" kinda way.

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Dahlin isn't  having a great year (but he has been playing better that last 2 weeks).  He currently isn't in the discussion for the Norris.  He isn't leading the team, carrying it on his back to wins game after game. He isn't dropping the gloves.  But yet, he seems to be more 'likeable' to me as I watch him play.   

Not likeable as in "he is our superstar so we have to like him" but more as in  "I like his play even when he is having a bad game and just is someone I am glad is on this team/in the city of Buffalo" kinda way.

I couldn’t care less about what the rest of the league thinks, or his contention for personal accolades/trophies. I simply could not care less about that kind of crap. I never care about that stuff. I care about what he’s doing for the team I follow. And I think Dahlin is doing fine. No issue with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Power is 21 years and 2 days old.  He is not a physically aggressive player.  Maybe he can grow into it a bit like Dahlin did.

Dahlin had the mean in him at the WJCs that were in Buffalo.  He liked playing physical in his own end.  Has Power ever demonstrated a physicality to his game?  (Honestly asking.)  If he has, there's a decent chance he'll develop that.  If not, wouldn't expect that tool to get added to the box.

But, he can use his size better than he currently does even if he doesn't draw on an inner Jay McKee/Rhett Warrener.  And expect he will do so as he seemed to use his size well to take away lanes and take away pucks at Michigan.

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I think Cozens is coming out of it.  The shield will be gone soon.  Let him play his way back.  And play  him with a stable line for once.  He is always the center bring up the rookies or carrying the weaker players - ever notice that?   Ever wonder why?  

Totally agree with this. I have been saying this for ages. Cozens is constantly tossed around and expected to carry a line. He sometimes ends up with garbage to carry. The kid has been put through it since day one and his development path has been forged by his determination more than handling him properly. 

I guess they had Quinn Cozens Peterka in mind before Quinn's injury, but why they haven't left Peterka with him is beyond me. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Again, and I'll state it for the 3rd time (not being a tool I just think you are misreading something), I don't want Cozens benched, although his scoring is down a bit he still brings toughness, he can still score and his play isn't so bad that he needs to be benched right now.

Power I think 100% needs to be benched, not only is his play really bad, it's detrimental to the team and imo has caused us to lose at least 2 games that I saw where he was not taking the guy who scored the goal. I don't remember the exact games but he is sturggling mightily this season. That doesn't mean I've given up on him or want him traded etc. I'm just saying maybe a few games watching above in the press box will do him some good because his confidence is pretty bad which dictates how he's playing right now. 

That's all I meant, I think for the most part most of us want the same things, just to see this team succeed but sometimes addition by subtraction is the way to go imo.

Ok, I get you on Cozens. We are in a bench Cozens thread.  I disagree with it, you disagreed with rational for it, then added in the Power benching. 

Power sitting out one night is much more reasonable than Cozens right now since we have 7 decent defensemen and it might help him to watch and think through things.  Without knowing what is in his head it’s hard to say if it’s the right thing to do.  Confidence cannot be underestimated.    Speaking of confidential, he was officially “hunted” last night and I prefer that he right now starts the ritual of pushing back and playing a tougher game.  You can’t do that from the bench.  

I haven’t seen his fancy stats in a while, the last time I did he was grading well even with fans complaining about him. 

I try to look at the players total performance and their overall contribution to the team.  Cozens and Power are important players.  They all make mistakes on occasion and they all get scored on.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Totally agree with this. I have been saying this for ages. Cozens is constantly tossed around and expected to carry a line. He sometimes ends up with garbage to carry. The kid has been put through it since day one and his development path has been forged by his determination more than handling him properly. 

I guess they had Quinn Cozens Peterka in mind before Quinn's injury, but why they haven't left Peterka with him is beyond me. 

Probably because Tuch missed action twice so far and they moved lines around a lot.  With Cozens in the doldrums and playing  hurt, playing Peterka elsewhere was wise.  

When Quinn comes back I suspect they reunite the three again. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Mitts leapfrogged Cozens on the depth chart. He’s now firmly the 3C. Cozens path to the top 6 in the next 3-5 years will have to be at RW. 

EDIT: 3C assuming the roster is healthy. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Mango said:

Mitts leapfrogged Cozens on the depth chart. He’s now firmly the 3C. Cozens path to the top 6 in the next 3-5 years will have to be at RW. 

I think you're viewing lines far to traditional for what the Sabres should be able to roll for 3-4 years. 

Peterka - Cozens - Benson

Skinner - Tage - Tuch

Rosen/Kulich - Mitts - Quinn

Which line are we calling the "3rd" line? Also you can rotate all the wingers in just about any order. The right side in particular seems like it's a matter of taste once Quinn returns. We could argue that Rosen or Kulich isn't up to 100% and whatever line they are on is the 3rd.

Personally once Quinn returns, I don't see a path to a top 6 on the right side for Cozens. 

And I didn't even mention Savoie

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think you're viewing lines far to traditional for what the Sabres should be able to roll for 3-4 years. 

Peterka - Cozens - Benson

Skinner - Tage - Tuch

Rosen/Kulich - Mitts - Quinn

Which line are we calling the "3rd" line? Also you can rotate all the wingers in just about any order. The right side in particular seems like it's a matter of taste once Quinn returns. We could argue that Rosen or Kulich isn't up to 100% and whatever line they are on is the 3rd.

Personally once Quinn returns, I don't see a path to a top 6 on the right side for Cozens. 

And I didn't even mention Savoie

I was answering the question that was asked which was “why isn’t Cozens with JJP anymore?” To which the answer is Mitts is a better player.

Also I don’t think Cozens game would be helpful for Benson right now either. Not to mention that Mitts/Peterka have also been a lights out pairing. I don’t get wanting to move Mitts away from guys he’s both helping and playing lights out with. 

I think Cozens best spot is at RW in the coming years as Tuch ages and moves down the line up. I foresee it as

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch  
Skinner - Thompson - Cozens
Peterka - Thompson - Cozens 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Cozens fewer 5v5 points per 60 than Olofsson and Joki!  😮

Sometimes fancy stats alone do not tell the story.  Olofsson has had a few decent games, I’ll give him that.  Yet, I watch him and just shake my head as he plays so passive, with reluctance, and no physical presence.   Even his good forecheck at the end of the game looked half hearted. 

Is there a stat for Cozens play that prevented icing, and a 6v5 faceoff  in our zone, with 19 seconds left.  How many games were blown in that situation in the past 12 years?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I was answering the question that was asked which was “why isn’t Cozens with JJP anymore?” To which the answer is Mitts is a better player.

Also I don’t think Cozens game would be helpful for Benson right now either. Not to mention that Mitts/Peterka have also been a lights out pairing. I don’t get wanting to move Mitts away from guys he’s both helping and playing lights out with. 

I think Cozens best spot is at RW in the coming years as Tuch ages and moves down the line up. I foresee it as

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch  
Skinner - Thompson - Cozens
Peterka - Thompson - Cozens 

I'm moving Mitts in this scenario to help Cozens. Mitts is a facilitator of the puck, it's what he does best. Kulich/Rosen are fast with great shots where Quinn is a hybrid of Mitts and Kulich. I think we're all forgetting how good Quinn was. 

It's more I trust Mitts with Rosen more than I trust Rosen with Cozens. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mango said:

Middle 6 - we like to say 2nd and 3rd lines but they can be equal in ice time.  In our future I think they will be mostly equivalent and it appears they will both be talented scoring lines.  

Which is why we need a re- hauled 4th line for checking and shutting down opponents.  Diversity of hockey skills.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Middle 6 - we like to say 2nd and 3rd lines but they can be equal in ice time.  In our future I think they will be mostly equivalent and it appears they will both be talented scoring lines.  

Which is why we need a re- hauled 4th line for checking and shutting down opponents.  Diversity of hockey skills.  

I agree with this. 

8 hours ago, Mango said:

The fact Mitts jumped at all illustrates that Cozens could also have a jump. I still see Cozens as the LT 2C.

I could also see him on RW in the top 6, there’s room there too. But preferably Thompson Casey and Cozens are the top 3 Cs because they seem to be our 3 best centres. If things go to plan one can fill the Roy role. Might even be Thompson in a few years 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The fact Mitts jumped at all illustrates that Cozens could also have a jump. I still see Cozens as the LT 2C.

I could also see him on RW in the top 6, there’s room there too. But preferably Thompson Casey and Cozens are the top 3 Cs because they seem to be our 3 best centres. If things go to plan one can fill the Roy role. Might even be Thompson in a few years 

Yeah, it'll be a good problem to have trying to figure out where best to play Thompson, Mittelstadt, and Cozens.  Was hoping this year would be Cozens coming out party, maybe it still will be.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.