It Is Time: Fire the GM, the Coaching Staff, get some experience in here. Fans deserve better!!!

Scottysabres

On 11/11/2023 at 9:11 PM, Randall Flagg said:

The thread coming to be is an important milestone, but the ones in the past have stayed up for a long time before the firing occurs in many instances

This is a football phrase for a reason - one bad month can doom you to 5 months of hectic chasing that wears you out by spring. This is what happened last year. Everyone was hurt at the end because they had to play them 28 hard minutes to squeak points out against bad teams to not fall further below .500 months before. 

You need to be getting points at every stage of your season

If the playoffs truly are the line, and we have to make it this year, which I believe we do, we should definitely have some level of concern that that result looks, at best, “up in the air”. I’d argue a lack of concern could possibly represent unwillingness to demand a reasonable expectation. 

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

This thread is ridiculous. Nobody is getting fired, and we will make the playoffs. I'm really surprised by how many chicken littles there are on this site.

You are surprised the site is full of people calling for rain when it’s rained for going on 13 years straight

that’s interesting 

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

NO.  It is not the time to fire the coach.  

They are 7-7-1.  Still very much in the thick of it and actually slightly ahead of last years pace.  Firing the coach after 15 games when at .500 is irrational.   This is not a winning team in decline, it’s a young team trying to get to another level.  

Firing the coach is pretty much giving up on the season.  Does anyone think that Matty Ellis can do better, cause that is what you will get.  Just do not think that Adams is going to bring in a proven vet NHL coach like Gallant.  We will get another experiment.  

The slow start is on Adams IMHO.  Granato plays the cards in his hand.  Adams brought this roster back. He spent the preseason with extended prospect tryouts resulting in a slow start.  Adams made no moves at goalie, sticking with 3.  

If you want a full regime change, GM and coach, then you do it after this season but Adams and Granato should get another full season 

Let see were they are at the Holidays.  If somehow the team quits on DG and they fall back to the dregs of the league then yes, make a change.  But we are not there right now. 

calm down united kingdom GIF

Agree with this post. I was as PO'd at the lack of emotion in the Pitt game last night, but at this point in the season it's not time to splatter your set with birdshot. I don't think these guys have an identity yet. Last year's run and gun was fun but we don't have Hasek back there to keep the score down on odd man rushes. This year they seem to play more tentatively on O but still haven't improved much on D. I say go with the run and gun identity and hope the goalie tandem improves (they will). At least if we lose it will be fun...It doesn't look like this team is having much fun yet this year!

I too was quite surprised that they didn't go out and get a proven starter in net to help out Levi. That's on KA. Last couple of years you knew that you'd get a solid start from Andy once a week. Thus far we don't have a stopper, at least not yet. I also would have let Okposo go, but kept Girgs. Kyle just doesn't have much left and it's time for this team to be led by Tuch, Dahlin and The Workhorse. As far as the FA D-men, I'm underwhelmed, but again, it's early. I think this team will slowly improve this year and least challenge for a playoff spot, but I had hoped for more...

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is blatantly false.

You play the hot hand and the match up. Should your most talented play the most? Sure, but lots of times that isn't the best plan. You coach, and play people, to the game and the situation. 

Good idea. After carefully reviewing all the players, sitting down with the coaching staff in the preseason, going through the schedule, and designing a lineup that best matches up against the opponent. Then, as the season progresses, barring injuries, play your hot players more. It's easier than keeping the best players and then game planning vs your opponent based on the type of talent on hand.  

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

You are surprised the site is full of people calling for rain when it’s rained for going on 13 years straight

that’s interesting 

I think, there's a group of ppl who think the plan should be X and since Adams didn't do X, they are somewhat gleefully up in arms.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Big Guava said:

How do you know? Binnington was a rookie that year. Levi is fully capable of becoming that as he gains experience.

It's amazing how people act like young players just automatically reach their peak in their first game and if they don't there is no chance they improve during a season.

Do you even watch sports?

15 hours ago, Big Guava said:

I don't give a crap about that "stat". 

Quinn will likely give them a significant boost on the back half of the year once he comes back. 

Will probably take him a month or so to get back into the swing of things once he starts playing.

Blah, blah, blah...

You don't actually watch games. At least not with any knowledge of what you are watching.

Both of these are obnoxious and not how we communicate here.

Do better or keep quiet.  

12 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

This thread is painful.

Maybe some think that the coach should be fired for having the team at NHL 500 and just a nose under @deluca67 500.

Bottom line is it will not happen during the season.

Rant and rave all you want, but it will not help.

Help? I'm pretty sure no one thinks we're getting DG fired.

Some people seem to be touting .500 as good enough. Why is that?

You make a move before we're in playoff jail again.

It might not work. But it'll be a hoot.

Stop being so decent. Coaches are hired to be fired. Don has done a good job to a certain point. He'll work again, just not as an NHL head coach.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Why are so many people in a state of panic? The Sabres have played less than 20 games; they are currently playing at a .500 rate. It's somewhat disappointing but it's not catastrophic. Why not wait to get halfway through the season before making a firmer judgment on this team and its staff?  In a way, people getting apoplectic  when its team is at .500 is a good sign in that the expectations are now higher than it has previously been. (And they should be.) Let's just be more patient before going crazy in a long and grinding season with its typical up and downs that all teams experience. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Thorny said:

If the playoffs truly are the line, and we have to make it this year, which I believe we do, we should definitely have some level of concern that that result looks, at best, “up in the air”. I’d argue a lack of concern could possibly represent unwillingness to demand a reasonable expectation. 

Yes!  For me, the question is what is the line in the sand in which Granato is publicly questioned and challenged to do better if they are still on the outside looking in?  Is it the end of 2023?  The halfway point?  Later?  For me personally, if we are still struggling at .500 and out of the playoffs on 1/1/24, then he is fair game to be challenged and scrutinized publicly.  That said, he needs to get the PP fixed sooner vs. later....28th is not good enough with the talent we have.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Stop being so decent. Coaches are hired to be fired. Don has done a good job to a certain point. He'll work again, just not as an NHL head coach.

No one is touting .500 being good enough. What some of the calmer responders are saying is that this record is not a reason to get into a state of frenzy before 20 games have been played. Let's give it more time to see how things play out. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I am sure that you are right about no one thinking that we will ave any impact on anything.

500 is not good enough overall, but for now it's okay 15 games in.  At last check (mid-night last night) the Sabres were 1 point out of WC.

Changing coaches now will be counter productive.

The most likely change is Paddy Kane in and Benson or maybe VO out.  That would be a hoot too and it may not work.

LOL at being decent.

People get worked up into a lather and some become downright nasty about this stuff.

11 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I am sure that you are right about no one thinking that we will ave any impact on anything.

500 is not good enough overall, but for now it's okay 15 games in.  At last check (mid-night last night) the Sabres were 1 point out of WC.

Changing coaches now will be counter productive.

The most likely change is Paddy Kane in and Benson or maybe VO out.  That would be a hoot too and it may not work.

LOL at being decent.

People get worked up into a lather and some become downright nasty about this stuff.

Considering they just took 7 points in games 10-14, so we know that this team, as is currently constituted can actually do what they need to get back on track; 15 through 15 isn't horrible.  (It isn't good, but it isn't a disaster either.)

They play the B's tough.  Get that W and getting 5 points (or even 6) over the next 4 is very doable.  3 games on the road vs beatable teams, then a chance to even the score with the Pens.

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I don’t think 15 games is near enough to blow this up.  It’s waving the white flag.  

I will look at it during the holidays, if they are in the race he stays. If not, you look at the entire situation, and not only the HC. 

15 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I don’t think 15 games is near enough to blow this up.  It’s waving the white flag.  

I will look at it during the holidays, if they are in the race he stays. If not, you look at the entire situation, and not only the HC. 

Next Thursday is Thanksgiving. Dec. 1 is Jergens Lotion Day. It's coming fast.

It's not the .500 pace that has me wondering about Granato. Its the way they are playing. How many of the 15 games to date have the Sabres looked like a legitimate playoff team? Why do many of the same issues persist? This is largely the same roster.

Having written that I wouldn't pull the plug on Granato right now. It's too early. But if I was Czar of Buffalo hockey I would let Granato know that he's got until January 27th to show that he can put this team into a solid playoff position. If the Sabres are still floundering with a third of the season remaining it's highly unlikely they will turn things around and suddenly look like one of the top 8 in the East.

Why January 27th? There's a 9 or 10 day break in the schedule (ASG break I assume?) to bring in a new coach and get moving with changes. More importantly, I want that new coach and staff implementing their systems and evaluating who stays and who needs to go this season. I don't want to see the team wait until the off season then hear that in 24-25 we need to give it 30 or 40 games for the new coach to implement his systems, philosophies and identity. We need to hit the ground running next season if this one ends in disappointment yet again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Next Thursday is Thanksgiving. Dec. 1 is Jergens Lotion Day. It's coming fast.

At least to Christmas and I’ll make an evaluation.  They needs 30’ish games.  Right now, he stays.  The problem is way more roster related than anything else.  

26 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

It's not the .500 pace that has me wondering about Granato. Its the way they are playing. How many of the 15 games to date have the Sabres looked like a legitimate playoff team? Why do many of the same issues persist? This is largely the same roster.

Having written that I wouldn't pull the plug on Granato right now. It's too early. But if I was Czar of Buffalo hockey I would let Granato know that he's got until January 27th to show that he can put this team into a solid playoff position. If the Sabres are still floundering with a third of the season remaining it's highly unlikely they will turn things around and suddenly look like one of the top 8 in the East.

Why January 27th? There's a 9 or 10 day break in the schedule (ASG break I assume?) to bring in a new coach and get moving with changes. More importantly, I want that new coach and staff implementing their systems and evaluating who stays and who needs to go this season. I don't want to see the team wait until the off season then hear that in 24-25 we need to give it 30 or 40 games for the new coach to implement his systems, philosophies and identity. We need to hit the ground running next season if this one ends in disappointment yet again.

Who?    Without knowing your next move, why make an any move?   If we are in trouble on Jan 27 are you going to fix it, or just punish the coach?   Are you going to put Matty Ellis in as interim and flush the season?   Or do you have a plan where the next guy comes in and has what it takes to elevate their game quickly?  

Firing the coach, especially this coach, will not go over well with the Core players, most of whom look to DG as a guy that taught them and gave them a chance to get over the hump.   Sure most they are locked up in contracts but I doubt Adams has a plan to replace Donny with someone that can do better, or actually has done better.  

And if Pegula has to weigh in, and he will, I lose even more faith.  

I don’t see a dire situation after 15 games.  Many teams are in the same boat with consistency issues.  Folding your cards without a plan is not a good thing.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.