Defenseman Trade Prospects

Brawndo

Friedman on 32 thoughts mentioned that Hanifin, Zadorov and Chris Tanev are rumored to be available. Tanev would be another EJ type addition, one of the better defensive defenseman in the league and would be a great pick up imo. 

Carolina is shopping Tony D’Angelo per Friedman as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman on 32 thoughts mentioned that Hanifin, Zadorov and Chris Tanev are rumored to be available. Tanev would be another EJ type addition, one of the better defensive defenseman in the league and would be a great pick up imo. 

Isn't D'Angelo all offense and no defense? If so, I don't think he helps. I'd kick the tires on Carrier. 

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Tanev would be a fine addition except who are you sitting when Mule returns? 

Mule, Power, and Dahlin are written in stone.  EJ is playing very well.  They invested 9 mill in Clifton, so I doubt he sits.  That leaves Joki, who has played pretty well this season.  

The only way Tanev works without sitting someone is rotating Clifton, EJ, Tanev and possibly Joki.  I don’t love that scenario.

Why can’t Zadorov stay with a team? Why is he always on the rumor trading block? 
Is it because he’s awesome? Is it because he never hurts his team with stupid penalties? Is it because his analytics are amazing? There must be some reason why he has been traded four times in his career so far. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

50851389667_880b0d1992_z.jpg

20 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Why can’t Zadorov stay with a team? Why is he always on the rumor trading block? 
Is it because he’s awesome? Is it because he never hurts his team with stupid penalties? Is it because his analytics are amazing? There must be some reason why he has been traded four times in his career so far. 

We've already kicked his tires, I can't see Kevyn bringing him back.

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Mule, Power, and Dahlin are written in stone.  EJ is playing very well.  They invested 9 mill in Clifton, so I doubt he sits.  That leaves Joki, who has played pretty well this season.  

The only way Tanev works without sitting someone is rotating Clifton, EJ, Tanev and possibly Joki.  I don’t love that scenario.

I would rotate those three and not give it a second thought. Tanev is one of the premier defensive defenders in the league. 

EJ is 35 also  Samuelsson and Tanev for that matter both have an injury history so there will be plenty of opportunities for rotation of the defense. Ryan Johnson has out played Stillman in Rochester so I really want to rely on Stillman. I would rather give up an asset now for Tanev and start banking points for the playoff race rather fighting multiple teams as the TDL and went those teams have the cap space to make a move.  
Also Tanev would be a great candidate for an UFA signing this offseason, why not get him in early? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Stay as far away from DeAngelo as possible but the other three have appeal, depending on the price of course. 

I will be shocked if Sabres make a move though. It just doesn't seem to be their way right now. 

The only team that accepted DeAngelo back was Carolina and if they are done with him then he must be a real bad apple.

Tanev would be a real nice piece. Injuries will happen. If you could bring him in I definitely would go for it.

I will say that this is probably the best stretch Joker has played as a Sabre. Hopefully he has matured and this is him moving forward.

Ryan Johnson looks like he belongs too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The problem with Mule is exactly what is going on now....he's injury prone.  I love the guy in the lineup, but realistically he's always going to miss a fair number of games.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

GM Sheevyn already traded away Boushh as a 6/7 veteran defensive defenseman. He's not going to trade for a new defensive defenseman until the deadline, or if Muel were to be out all season.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Ryan Johnson looks like he belongs too.

I think Johnson (the Ryan one) has a bright future, but thus far it's been one beautiful pass and 8 minutes on the ice.
Remember, Pilut looked great his first couple games... then opponents started forechecking him back into the AHL/SHL.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Do you have fancy stat defensive stats on Zadorov and Tanev?

18 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I do like it.  Tanev is one of those painful guys to play against.   

If Dahlin, Power and Muel are healthy then Tanev, EJ, Clifton and Joker can rotate in.  

Defenseman get hurt.  EJ is 35 and will need maintenance days.    Power suffers from overload at times.   Muel is hurt often.   

I want 8 reliable defenseman on the team.  Our #8 can be in Rochester.  

Joki and Clifton are playing ok at times - competition for ice will make them better.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The problem is what in KA’s history with the Sabres says he’d make a bold move in season to acquire talent to enhance his current roster?

No precedent yet, but that could change I suppose. But I wouldn’t bet on it 

48 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

From looking at the charts. Zadorov seems to have better numbers than Tanev. But it’s pretty close.   Maybe I am reading something wrong ? 

I can’t really read the charts in full but I’d also say Dahlin has been a fair bit better than Power so far, and the charts seems to almost say otherwise so I’ve got a bit of a disconnect here I guess 

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I can’t really read the charts in full but I’d also say Dahlin has been a fair bit better than Power so far, and the charts seems to almost say otherwise so I’ve got a bit of a disconnect here I guess 

Looking at some stats.  Power is the number one D in the entire league in goals scored (even strength) with 15 (10 against)  His corsi is pretty good and so is his  eGF%So good things happen when he  is on the ice 

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Looking at some stats.  Power is the number one D in the entire league in goals scored (even strength) with 15 (10 against)  His corsi is pretty good and so is his  eGF%So good things happen when he  is on the ice 

Evolving Hockey and Hockey Viz are probably the two most respected models available to the public, the irony is both have Power slightly ahead of Dahlin in terms of metrics 

Evolving Hockey was posted before

Hockey Viz is posted below 

IMG_0014.png

IMG_0015.png

IMG_0016.png

IMG_0017.png

IMG_0018.png

IMG_0019.png

IMG_0020.png

IMG_0021.png

22 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Ya that’s where we were at - it’s just not a spot for me right now where my eye test lines up with the advanced numbers (and honestly, usually they do). Maybe he’s getting favourable matchups or something, maybe my eyes are deceiving me, or maybe the numbers are just wrong - but I’ve seen him look pretty horrendous at times, and overall pretty decent. Dahlin to me has been good, with a lot more obviously to give 

The “number one D in the league” thing frankly weakens the stats’ case / makes me dig my feet in more in this situation IMO because he had clearly has not been close to that in any category. He’s obviously has a great ratio if that’s what the numbers say, but I’m definitely seeing correlation then more than causation - wouldn’t surprise me over a small sample size 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.