GDT: Sabres @ Maple Leafs: November4, 2023 @ 7:00PM, NHL Network, MSG-B, and NBCS-PH

SABRES 0311

7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Not enough praise for Greenway.  
the man was a beast.  Plays great D basically every game but tonight he brought it in every aspect of the game 

physical; scored , great D and blocking shots 

He adds value on every line he plays on. I don’t see how he wouldn’t be considered top 6 at this point. One more Greenway level player/skill set would help this team immensely. 

Also Mitts has to be written in sharpie as a 1C or 2C at this point. 

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

the man was a beast.  Plays great D basically every game but tonight he brought it in every aspect of the game 

Having Him and Cozens on the wing of a defensively weak rookie (cough, Kulich, cough) might work 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This might actually be right. Like in seriousness 

we played better today with 11 forwards cause we simply double shifted the two good lines all third period. I question the sustainability but a win is a win and other guys can hopefully get going in the meantime

6-6. Look, we’re on to Carolina

This (bolded)

Edited by Slack_in_MA

Just now, Thorny said:

This might actually be right. Like in seriousness 

we played better today with 11 forwards cause we simply double shifted the two good lines all third period. I question the sustainability but a win is a win and other guys can hopefully get going in the meantime

6-6. Look, we’re on to Carolina

It probably is a big part of it.  But, yeah, they can't sustain hiding Bryson and Olofsson and ... the entire year.

Hate that the next game is Carolina because they are the good team that the Sabres match up worst against.  Give Levi the start and hope he can stop enough to let them sneak out a victory down there.

Gutty, gutty win in regulation for the Sabres tonight. They weren’t going to be denied. Huge response to the debacle last night. They’ve actually won 4 of their last 5 games in Toronto. The road warriors are back.  Good thing too because including tonight, 7 of the next 9 are on the road. Let’s make it another Buffalo W tomorrow night!

Beating the Leafs is just the best.

Edited by repster
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya the Bryson thing is def not causation 

I am rooting for the trend to continue out of spite

16 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Just saw the highlights again and noticed his shot block to spring Peterka on a breakaway. We didn't score but that was a helluva block. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Just checked, he played 6:27.  Lowest on the team.  Ryan Johnson played 8:20.   

How did he look?  

Ryan Johnson didn't play a lot of minutes but when out there he played well. He has a simple and efficient game. He skates well and smartly makes the right play to get the puck out of his zone. I thought he made the pass of the game to send a release pass to Skinner who got into the offensive zone ahead of the play where he scored on one of his sniper long shots. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Broken Ankles said:

Disclaimer - Not here to pi$$ in everyone’s Cheerios.  (That’s somebody else’s job).  Happy with a win, and the effort.  But I need to see wins against opponents not playing their backup goaltender.   Five of six wins have some at the hands of a backup.  

Yeah, but in all of those wins we've played our backup as well. (All our goalies are backups)

3 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Disclaimer - Not here to pi$$ in everyone’s Cheerios.  (That’s somebody else’s job).  Happy with a win, and the effort.  But I need to see wins against opponents not playing their backup goaltender.   Five of six wins have some at the hands of a backup.  

I don't recall their goalie giving up a weak goal. The play of their goalie wasn't a reason why they lost. I thought he played a solid game. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

You sure Woll is their backup.  Samsonov is having another bad season; just like he did last year.  Woll's played more, has a better SV%, and a better GAA.  Not convinced he's the backup.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

He adds value on every line he plays on. I don’t see how he wouldn’t be considered top 6 at this point. One more Greenway level player/skill set would help this team immensely. 

Also Mitts has to be written in sharpie as a 1C or 2C at this point. 

I disagree.  He is not a top 6 player. Solid 3rd liner…absolutely. 

6 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Tonight’s victory hardly counts as facing a backup. Toronto has pretty evenly split their net. Samsonov has played 6 to Woll’s 5, but the stats are in Woll’s favor by a great margin (low sample size I know).

Samsonov: 3.56 GAA .871 sv%
Woll: 1.89 GAA .942 sv %

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It probably is a big part of it.  But, yeah, they can't sustain hiding Bryson and Olofsson and ... the entire year.

Ryan Johnson had 8:20 of ice time, and Bryson had 6:27. We need a poll on when Bryson gets traded or sent down because it’s not if it at this point it’s when

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I am rooting for the trend to continue out of spite

Just saw the highlights again and noticed his shot block to spring Peterka on a breakaway. We didn't score but that was a helluva block. 

As good a reason as any 

13 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

There’s no cheerios. We’re all eating All Bran until we are firmly in a playoff spot. Not too high, not too low: steady All Bran 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Ryan Johnson didn't play a lot of minutes but when out there he played well. He has a simple and efficient game. He skates well and smartly makes the right play to get the puck out of his zone. I thought he made the pass of the game to send a release pass to Skinner who got into the offensive zone ahead of the play where he scored on one of his sniper long shots. 

Hey John I looked at the replay.   Excellent pass by R Johnson to Skinny. Lots of speed and right on target.  Johnson plays with his head up and he quickly learned that Skinner will pick cherries.  He must be watching from the bench too. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.