GDT: Avalanche @ Sabres Sunday Oct 29th- 1pm

Shoot da Puck

Worst part is, I lost badly at darts from buddy, ***** can't count but he throws like the best of them, I should stop helping him 😄

9 minutes ago, Cityo'Rasmii said:

a great win, @Huckleberry hope you nailed 'em

nah, was friendly against my buddy, he is way better than me in outs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, rickshaw said:

How about this hot take. How this dude has a following yet a job is beyond me. 

Actually yes, Makar  fell on his own. Thinking too much about what he’s gonna do with the puck and not enough about adjusting his weight and edges.

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

A few interesting things to me at least 

Everybody was a minus on the Avalanche besides three guys 

Jokiharju has 5 assists on the season. Previous career high is 16 assists. He should be able to top that 

Big win against a top tier team. Time to turn it into a 5 game winning streak 

• Like (+1) 2

Just finished watching the game.

This was the best game UPL has played in the NHL.  He set the tone for the Sabres in the first 5 minutes and the Sabres complete team effort did the rest.

Just a couple of superlatives.  UPL of course.  Congrats on his 1st career shutout.  Well deserved.  Mitts was our best forward.  Played 200 feet, scored a excellent goal and his setup to Skinner in the 3rd was awesome (to bad Skinner missed).  I loved EJ today.  He and Jost had significant jump today.  DG said Bryson got stronger this off-season and that was clearly evident.  Don’t look now, but JJP is tied with TNT with 4 goals (Skinner has 5).  He keeps getting better.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Just finished watching the game.

This was the best game UPL has played in the NHL.  He set the tone for the Sabres in the first 5 minutes and the Sabres complete team effort did the rest.

Just a couple of superlatives.  UPL of course.  Congrats on his 1st career shutout.  Well deserved.  Mitts was our best forward.  Played two feet, scored a excellent goal and his setup to Skinner in the 3rd was awesome (to bad Skinner missed).  I loved EJ today.  He and Jost had significant jump today.  DG said Bryson got stronger this off-season and that was clearly evident.  Don’t look now, but JJP is tied with TNT with 4 goals (Skinner has 5).  He keeps getting better.  

I agree with everything you said. Although Mitts can play as a winger it is evident that center is his natural position. I don't think it is a stretch to say that he is a genuine #1 or #2 center. One thing that Coach DG is adept at is playing people in positions that best suit them, even if it is a temporary move to stimulate a struggling player or get a player more playing time. Playing Krebs with Okposo and Girgs and moving Mitts to center last year are examples of that. Our coach is not immune from criticism but without question he knows his roster well and how to manage the players and adjust when needed. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Haven't read the thread but I find it fun that the first game we roll UPL and Bryson in the same game we don't allow a single goal.

Believe me it wasn’t for a lack of effort by Bryson in the first 5 mins, he was the same ole’ Bryson.  Luckily UPL bailed them out.  
to Brysons credit, he got better as the game went on.  Still too small and I’d rather never see him in a Sabres uniform again 

7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Believe me it wasn’t for a lack of effort by Bryson in the first 5 mins, he was the same ole’ Bryson.  Luckily UPL bailed them out.  
to Brysons credit, he got better as the game went on.  Still too small and I’d rather never see him in a Sabres uniform again 

In the first five minutes of the game all the players were futilely spinning their wheels and chasing the opposition. After that initial sequence, the team collectively found their stride and controlled the game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Is one else having a deja vu moment with UPL and Comrie.  Last season, Comrie got hurt and UPL got his chance.  His first game last year was awful, but then he actually played mostly solid goal over the next 19 starts.  The Sabres were 13-4-2 in UPL’s starts after the first clunker and he had a 900 or better save % in 11 of those starts. 

This season, Comrie gets hurt, UPL’s first start is a clunker, but then he shuts out the Cup contending Avs and looks great in the process.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, rickshaw said:

How about this hot take. How this dude has a following yet a job is beyond me. 

They didn't show the replay of the incident in the rink, so was expecting it was worse than that.  (Both the injury and the play by Okposo.)

That's a horrible take by Seravalli.  

As for the rest of the game, didn't agree with Granato having Johnson and Bryson take the 1st shift of the game and the way it started out they were very lucky to not be down a goal by the time Bryson finally got to get off the ice, but UPL played well enough for the team to start to get going.  And the team played its best game of the year.  Only 24(?) shots against all game and they'd given up 5 about 3-1/2 minutes in.  No backdoor opportunities for the Avs the entire game.

Couldn't believe Tuch wasn't the 2nd star (agreed with the 1st and 3 star choices) but Tuch had his best game of the season by far.  He was a forechecking and backchecking machine and had a great look to set up Jost's goal to give them some legit breathing room.  Even after going tits over teacups into the boards awkwardly in the 2nd.  Can't recall the last time being at a game where it looked so much like so many guys had taken injury causing hits/pucks and everybody was fine when the dust had settled.  (There were at least 3 'gasp' moments today.  And all 3 guys were fine.)

Benson didn't have a great game, it was his weakest yet, but he still nearly set Thompson up with a goal on Benny's last shift of the game.

So glad that puck to Samuelsson's head hit the helmet or visor.  Thought he was going to be out a couple of months getting the front of his face wired back together.  Was a huge relief to not see a pool of blood under him when he finally got up.  Really would like to see them mandate either full cages or fishbowls.  Realize it isn't "old time hockey," but there just isn't enough of a reason to not make them wear them.  (Guys complain they lose the puck when it's at their feet, but somehow they managed to survive that issue and still excell prior to getting to Juniors / the Pro ranks.)

UPL earned the 1st star tonight, but still not convinced he can play that well for a long stretch.  Hoping to be wrong about that.

Sweep the Phlyers and get back above 0.500.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

I recall them losing to the rangers last year on a Saturday afternoon in them. Wasn’t there one this year too?

They lost to the Flyers last year in them I believe 4-0. But that one shouldn’t count because it was a rescheduled game for a reason I don’t remember.

11 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

PK got it done

I forgot to post about this earlier.  I hate to make a comparison to 05/06, but that season you were shocked if a team scored a PP goal against us.  I am getting that feeling about this revamped PK.  The Sabres finished that year 2nd in the NHL at 88.6% on the PK, but that team had Ryan Miller in net.  This team is doing it with Comrie, UPL and Levi.

Greenway, EJ, TNT, Mule, are leading this PK with size, physicality, length and very solid positioning.  I think the PK time is also helping TNT play a more complete game.

I get the feeling from TNT that a goal scoring barrage is coming.  Tuch is also looking more like his old self that last couple of games.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That's a horrible take by Seravalli.  

Amen brother.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.