GDT: Avalanche @ Sabres Sunday Oct 29th- 1pm

Shoot da Puck

33 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I don't think UPL has NHL-level reflexes or body control/balance. I will happily be proved wrong.

I agree with you. He played very well today, but my eyes tell me he is kinda big and slow and gets lost trying to find the puck more than most other goalies. It continues to be a consistency thing with him.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

I hate to be that guy but the one tripping call on Greenway was a trip. Well more of a slewfoot but the ref got that one right. The homerism on this one is big. Not sure why ,Its clear for all to see in the replay. 

Because they let things go the other way.  The Avs were not angels out there, they had half of the minors to kill.  

Consistency was lacking. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just some quick and short observations. I haven't completely read the comments so I'm sure that my observations have already been mentioned. UPL was superb. Good positioning and rebound control. 

What encouraged me about this game was the style of play. Colorado is a talented and good skating team. So on offense you are not going to get a lot of room. The Sabres responded by simplifying their offense playing a north/south game and shot the puck instead of making the extra pass. 

One of the reasons UPL played well is that the team played good all-around defense that included the work of our forwards. The Sabres had good net presence both on offense and on defense. Our stick work by our big and long guys was exceptional. 

The style of play in this game was gritty. We didn't play a finesse and freewheeling game. We played a more basic road style of game. That's why we had such a good road record last year. 

Tuch made a nice pass for the Jost score. 

As @LGR4GM noted Eric Johnson was a terrific addition. He's tough and a no-frills player. The addition of him and a healthy Greenway improved this team. Greenway is playing well. 

I thought Bryson played well. 

Our PK has dramatically improved from last year. 

Dahlin is our best player. He made a number of subtle moves that few players in this league can replicate. 

The lines were guggled for this game. What does it mean? It means that we have a lot of versatile players who can be moved around in order to change the dynamic when things start to go stale. 

In general, the Sabres were tough and smart. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Of course we won.

It is the magic of the red and black goatheads. Nothing more nothing less. 

If you do a scientific analysis of the data it is clear that we are a better team wearing them, a completely different team, a team that plays hockey the right way, and so put the nostalgia away and switch to goatheads full time. This is the answer to everything. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Eh…it’s a common move. Push on the lower back of the player in front of you to propel him the boards.  It doesn’t get called often.  

When he applied the “push” Maker had the puck.  Maker said it himself, he wasn’t working hard, he basically lost an edge and could not stop.  He is not even hurt bad. He is lucky it was Okposo and not a guy like Marchand. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.