Official Craig Anderson joining Sabres Organization

Brawndo

Not sure how he fits in with Bales, but Bales is full-time and Anderson is only part-time, so he's probably more of a sounding board than a day-to-day coach.  In any event, this looks like a smart move for the organization and I agree that it lessens the need to allocate a roster spot to a veteran backup goalie.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Not sure how he fits in with Bales, but Bales is full-time and Anderson is only part-time, so he's probably more of a sounding board than a day-to-day coach.  In any event, this looks like a smart move for the organization and I agree that it lessens the need to allocate a roster spot to a veteran backup goalie.

It says as much in the press release.  He is a mentor and sounding board in the locker room. No mention of 'coaching'.  At least, not yet.

4 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

It says as much in the press release.  He is a mentor and sounding board in the locker room. No mention of 'coaching'.  At least, not yet.

True about the content of the press release, but coaches are sounding boards for players and to some extent mentors too (Bales was a professional goalie with a bit of NHL experience), hence my comment about how he fits in with Bales.  I could see the Sabres being interested in him as a goalie coach in the future if they are unhappy with Bales (perhaps the genesis of your "at least, not yet" comment), but I get the sense that Anderson wants to spend more time with his family in Florida, not live in Buffalo full-time, and not travel with the team (although I have no idea whether Bales or other goalie coaches travel with the team).  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I love this move. It's funny that I was hoping for this kind of thing earlier today when the announcement about his retirement in Ottawa came out. It's probably something that's either been in the works for a bit, or that they just formalized and waited to go with the "official" retirement.

It's basically what I was hoping for in several other posts over the last few days, I think going back to when they said he was in town for training camp.  A part time gig so he doesn't have to be in Buffalo 24/7 and can spend time with his family, but still help guide the goalie corps such as it is (not just Levi) toward greatness in goaltending.

• Like (+1) 1

Let’s be honest Craig Anderson is the new Buffalo Sabres goalie coach without the Sabres saying it. This is a very good move by the Sabres for Devon Levi development. My guess is Craig Anderson doesn’t want to be a goalie coach full time or Mike Bales would not have his contract renewed in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Would have preferred veteran guidance by way of an actual capable back up vet goalie, as it would be a significantly larger factor re: on ice results (the games Levi doesn’t play), but this can only be a good thing 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.