Sabres Announce Owen Power Extension 7 years, 8.35 Million AAV

Brawndo

23 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s kinda funny with Buffalo. It seems like any time anyone remotely good there gets close to free agency, it’s like LOCK HIM UP! NOW! DONT LET HIM GET AWAY!”

….and that is why Skinner is making $9 mill per season.  Of course the one guy we needed to lock up and didn’t is the Vezina winning goalie for Boston.  

I am glad this is done, but if Power doesn’t quickly develop into a 50 pt guy who is at least decent in his own end, this contract is an over payment. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

For a different perspective, Vancouver sportsradio take this morning:

“Owen Power? Oh, yeah, he was the #1 pick a few years ago. I kinda forget about that guy”

“It’s kinda funny with Buffalo. It seems like any time anyone remotely good there gets close to free agency, it’s like LOCK HIM UP! NOW! DONT LET HIM GET AWAY!”

Just watch how much money they extend Hronek (traded a 1st for IIRC) and Petterson this season/offseason. They sing the same song and dance.

Which is vastly better than locking up Beagle, Myers, Loui Eriksson, and acquiring OEL (and buying him out). They might be learning a bit.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

Just watch how much money they extend Hronek (traded a 1st for IIRC) and Petterson this season/offseason. They sing the same song and dance.

Which is vastly better than locking up Beagle, Myers, Loui Eriksson, and acquiring OEL (and buying him out). They might be learning a bit.

In balance, the co-host said "they're just betting on their young guys, just like the Canucks did with Hughes, andlook how good that turned out'

• Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

“Owen Power? Oh, yeah, he was the #1 pick a few years ago. I kinda forget about that guy”

“It’s kinda funny with Buffalo. It seems like any time anyone remotely good there gets close to free agency, it’s like LOCK HIM UP! NOW! DONT LET HIM GET AWAY!”

Interesting, honestly.  What do these same guys say about how Vancouver has handled their young players?  They have bridged most everyone and tried to use the short term savings to improve the roster.  Results have been very mixed there.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Vancouver... hmmm is that the team that has less cap space than the Sabres do next year even though Buffalo has their core locked up for the next 8 years?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

….and that is why Skinner is making $9 mill per season.  Of course the one guy we needed to lock up and didn’t is the Vezina winning goalie for Boston.  

I am glad this is done, but if Power doesn’t quickly develop into a 50 pt guy who is at least decent in his own end, this contract is an over payment. 

I like Ulmark but most good goalies can look great in Boston.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Linus Ullmark was a UFA and could sign where he wished. This is a prerecorded message. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

This one is just in a different boat for me, because I saw more seasons and a higher level of play from both 72 and 24 (though Cozens isn't too far off, though he's cheaper than Power), and Samuelsson just wasn't nearly as much money

I'm not complaining, it just better work : ) 

Cozens signed part way through last season, and before last season his play was not indicative of the contract that he got. We had less than a season of high level play from Cozens before he got that contract. Power may not have been quite as impressive, but Granato trusted him enough to the point where Power was top 5 in the league in even strength minutes. 

Just now, Night Train said:

Ulmark was inconsistent in Buffalo. Many had doubts about him as a #1 goaltender. His Vezna is at least as much a reflection of the team defense as it is a reflection of his goaltending in my opinion. Frankly not sure many wouldn't have questioned us signing him for the contract Boston did.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

do you realize how much offense the Sabres created last year due to Power's breakout/transition from his own end?  There is NO WAY it's an overpayment simply based off that. He was off the charts good as a rookie at that.  Defense takes a few years...that's usually the last part of the game to come.

image.thumb.png.66f1f30f12d38ddc0b100f747e7d45bb.png

Edited by matter2003

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

“Owen Power? Oh, yeah, he was the #1 pick a few years ago. I kinda forget about that guy

It's understandable to forget about players on a perennial non-playoff team.

Wait until they get a look at him come playoffs 2024.  They will notice.  Power and others.  Playoff hockey is when the rest of the league, as well as many non-rabid fans, start to pay attention.

I imagine this wont be too popular but on one hand these deals make total sense, we have our 'core'. On the other our defense is absolutely terrible & now we're rewarding the 2 main guys of our D with elite level deals for about a decade. Its just an interesting paradox i guess. And we're all banking on these later years where these players will eventually be worth their deals, as obviously they are not worth them now.

Next we'll hear how teaching defense takes a long time for players to acclimate to the NHL!

No argument there but I hope one day to see it i really do because our team could use some elite defensive play. Even average would be nice, but thats not exactly what we're paying for is it?

These contracts would feel better to me if our defense wasnt near the bottom of every major category. Thats really all im saying.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, In The Buff said:

I imagine this wont be too popular but on one hand these deals make total sense, we have our 'core'. On the other our defense is absolutely terrible & now we're rewarding the 2 main guys of our D with elite level deals for about a decade. Its just an interesting paradox i guess. And we're all banking on these later years where these players will eventually be worth their deals, as obviously they are not worth them now.

Next we'll hear how teaching defense takes a long time for players to acclimate to the NHL!

No argument there but I hope one day to see it i really do because our team could use some elite defensive play. Even average would be nice, but thats not exactly what we're paying for is it?

These contracts would feel better to me if our defense wasnt near the bottom of every major category. Thats really all im saying.

Agee.

To be a good, playoff team, you need to have good players, with a bulk of them in their prime.  To be a GREAT team, one that is top 10 year after year and a cup contender, you really want to have at least a few of your top players on team friendly deals.  Colorodo is a good example.

Toronto is the example of a good team, a VERY good eam that hasn't gotten all the way yet, in large part because they have problems filling out the bottom of their roster because they don't really have team friendly deals at the top of their roster. They don't have any Busts which mean they will be very good, but greateness they haven't acheived because they aren't getting deals. Sure, those guys are now entering their prime sothere is a chance they get a cup, but they should have done more than they have to this point.

So the Sabres....Dahlin is not a bargain but its likely not to be a 'bust' deal. But Tage is a bargain (so far) and Cozens and Power are projecting to be team friendly deals.  That is why this might be looking good for the Sabres.

Its not really about how much you are paying them when they sign the deals...look at the mid way point of the deal...how much percentage of the cap these guys will be getting in years 3, 4, or 5 of the deals comared to how good they are at that point.

• SDS unpinned this topic
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.