Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

18 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

Even though the penguins will catch up to us with a win, we need a penguins win 

Penguins up 4-1 and dominating as I type this. Not sure it's good though. Penguins could pass us soon. I liked them better when they were in their post Guentzel funk and not trying. 

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Eichel with great individual effort puts Knights up 2-1 

Devils down. Islanders down. Wings down.

Like I was saying… there’s hope here for like a cutoff at 89 points or something 

Actually yes, if the Caps lose tonight the current projected cutoff would be 89 points

9–3-2 gets us in the playoffs probably.

Edited by Thorny

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Penguins up 4-1 and dominating as I type this. Not sure it's good though. Penguins could pass us soon. I liked them better when they were in their post Guentzel funk and not trying. 

The good thing is we play the penguins, red wings, capitals and devils at least 1 more time. It may be grim but not as grim as we think 

2 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

The good thing is we play the penguins, red wings, capitals and devils at least 1 more time. It may be grim but not as grim as we think 

Win all 4 and ok, maybe. 

But after the season and the last game, color me skeptical. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

These teams lose all the time it’s more about finding a way to win 9 more than winning those specific games. If they don’t drop them to us they will drop them to someone else the next day 

If they pick up any 20 points out of the 28 remaining the have a good shot 

Edited by Thorny

Don’t overlook the Flyers as a candidate to fall back.  They have a very tough schedule.  I expect them to be on a 7 game losing streak 5 games from now.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, repster said:

Don’t overlook the Flyers as a candidate to fall back.  They have a very tough schedule.  I expect them to be on a 7 game losing streak 5 games from now.

If Philly totally tanked it would help, but Islanders would get their spot in the division so we’d still have to ensure we are ahead of Detroit and Washington 

basically it would prevent us from having to catch the islanders specifically but I’m not sure if they are the favourite at this point 

Edited by Thorny

29 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Win all 4 and ok, maybe. 

But after the season and the last game, color me skeptical. 

They definitely don't need to win all 4 

I would think 5 out of 8 points would be good.   Assuming the teams around them keep floundering 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

They definitely don't need to win all 4 

I would think 5 out of 8 points would be good.   Assuming the teams around them keep floundering 

A win against Seattle and Detroit losing to Pittsburgh is worth just as much as beating Detroit head to head. If we win any 10 games we would have a reasonable shot of making it, regardless of the 4 we lose 

Those teams are simply losing a bunch of games right now 

If we win the amount of games we need it’ll likely get us in regardless of which games 

One thing you can’t do is look past Sidney Crosby and his leadership and ability. That’s the only team that actually is individually scary imo. There’s a Rushmore talent on that squad who rounds out his all around game for every point that erodes away with age. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

So no one wants the 8th seed except probably Crosby.   Everyone lost today.  

5 points out of 8th with 14 to play.

Not worrying about tiebreakers but points left and likely points needed to stay ahead of us if we get say 22 out of 28 of our points left:

Points left for Caps - 32 (18)

Points left for Isles - 30 (19)

Points left for Detroit - 28 (18)

The good news is they all stink.   

Edited by Second Line Center
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

So no one wants the 8th seed except probably Crosby.  

imo this gets added to the improbability of Sabres making it pile. They had a drop with the Guentzel trade. I'd assume they felt the GM had given up on the season so they did to, but Crosby is a leader and he don't take that as acceptable so he's got them back on it and, although they are not that good, they have the kind of veterans who know how to win big games and so they might be dangerous down the stretch. 

That's one more team added to the mix imo so if Philly and Detroit both keep dropping the old guys in Pittsburgh and Washington as well can't be counted out. 

23 hours ago, repster said:

And then there’s this. They’re stuck with Johansen because he says he’s hurt. 

On 3/17/2024 at 6:17 PM, Buffalonill said:

Hopefully we're not that team aka Arizona that pays 4m+ for role players 

Good player But hopefully buffalo Gets a bigger impact player 

Victor Olofsson says hello.

31 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Caps look like a winner vs Calgary tonight.

They do. 

Picked a bad time for us for them to string a few together.

One saving grace here is their schedule is tough. And I mean TOUGH. The opponents are hard but it’s more than that. They have a stretch as follows:

Road - Home - Road - Home - *Road - Home - Road 

*represents a back to back. Back to back with travel.

In comparison the Sabres, one time, have to come home for a single game, before heading back out on road 

Edited by Thorny

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They do. 

Picked a bad time for us for them to string a few together.

One saving grace here is their schedule is tough. And I mean TOUGH. The opponents are hard but it’s more than that. They have a stretch as follows:

Road - Home - Road - Home - *Road - Home - Road 

*represents a back to back. Back to back with travel.

In comparison the Sabres, one time, have to come home for a single game, before heading back out on road 

The Sabres also get the Caps twice at home in April.  

So tonight we cheer for the BJs, Hurricanes, and ... NJ? Pitt? Anything but OT?

(After being lazy, I looked - I think we cheer for NJ. If they win, they are still 1 pt behind us with same games played. Pitty, with a win, would be same points with a game in hand pending the outcome of our game.)

Edited by ska-T Chitown

59 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

(After being lazy, I looked - I think we cheer for NJ. If they win, they are still 1 pt behind us with same games played. Pitty, with a win, would be same points with a game in hand pending the outcome of our game.)

I think we want NJ, they look awful right now and Pitt seems to have some fire.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

We also need Toronto begrudgingly enough. If Philly keeps falling, it can eliminate 1 of the Metro teams from being a problem.

• Thanks (+1) 1