Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

The reasoning is there are fewer teams in the United States in the NHL than any other professional league. I think the league believes the US can support 30-32 teams. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibilities either, but I’d like to see them pump the breaks before going to 36 teams, which to me is the most logical number left for a while. 

I know it's been said that the league believes that the US can support more teams I just can't see where the revenue is going to come from to do it. 

Never mind, apparently 42% of the global value of the NHL comes from outside the US. 

Danni Moore, wrote this for Ampere Sports:

"The National Hockey League (NHL) has the smallest following among the four major sports leagues in the US and is followed by 17 per cent of US sports fans, according to Ampere’s Q4 2022 Sports Consumer survey."

Hockey ranks eighth in the list of most popular sporting competitions, college football and basketball regular seasons, college football playoffs and  March Madness all rank above it.

In terms of media rights, the NHL will bring in $625 million for the 2023/24 campaign.

That is equal to 33% of  MLB, 23% of what the NBA receives, and only 5% of the value of what the NFL gets.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Norcal said:

Looking at this, remember that the Canucks were terrible last year.   The Oilers fired their coach after 13 games.  Even St Louis is clinging to a WC spot after replacing their coach with an interim.  

Detroit and Philly have past us in our conference.  Numerous teams in both the east and west have improved too.  

• Like (+1) 1

Jets have fallen to 7th overall, after losing 4 straight. As mentioned, they are a good team. As I also mentioned, their ridiculously easy extended stretch of schedule was somewhat misleading 

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Looking at this, remember that the Canucks were terrible last year.   The Oilers fired their coach after 13 games.  Even St Louis is clinging to a WC spot after replacing their coach with an interim.  

Detroit and Philly have past us in our conference.  Numerous teams in both the east and west have improved too.  

Buffalo had the chance to wake up the team oh well its over with now .

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Can’t just sit around and draft and develop while twiddling your thumbs: other teams get a free 7 draft picks, every year, too.

can look to make tiny relative gains year over year on that front, which is a challenge in itself, and even if you do, it’s compared against the chasm we are already behind. A manager has to actually do other things, construct a team, not essentially run a real-life version of online GM simulator video game mode. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Nice run by McDavid and crew, stopped at 16. 

Edmonton was looking to tie the 1992-93 Pittsburgh Penguins for the longest NHL win streak.

Pittsburgh’s streak ended with a tie. They then followed it up with 3 more wins. One little rule change has corrupted the “winning” streak numbers. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 2/5/2024 at 2:56 PM, Norcal said:

I just can't understand how the least watched and covered sports league in America can expand to 34 teams. 

Doesn't seem like there would be enough interest. 

18 hours ago, inkman said:

The owners are like Pepé Le Pew chasing that poor female cat.  They are absolutely insatiable in their desire for $$$ and will use any means they can to open that cash register.  The easiest way, expansion fees.  It’s probably the only way some franchises make money.  The league is a disgrace and will probably fold in the next few decades.  

Pop Bubble GIF by Hardly Art

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I don't like that remembering 😕 

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

But Ottawa!  (Please...that's all we got)

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Can’t just sit around and draft and develop while twiddling your thumbs: other teams get a free 7 draft picks, every year, too.

can look to make tiny relative gains year over year on that front, which is a challenge in itself, and even if you do, it’s compared against the chasm we are already behind. A manager has to actually do other things, construct a team, not essentially run a real-life version of online GM simulator video game mode. 

I definitely don't think Adams is doing nearly enough for sure.

For example, given the Samuelsson injury I really don't get why we didn't snap this guy up when Vegas waived him?

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/flames-claim-defenceman-brayden-pachal-off-waivers-from-golden-knights-1.6755989

Imperfect player for sure, but also definitely would fill a need on this roster with the injury. Definitely better for what we need on the roster than Bryson. 

They really don't seem to have any interest in winning now. They are fine with some long long term vision of letting their own picks develop and it's a really dumb plan. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Getpucksdeep said:

But Ottawa!  (Please...that's all we got)

Ottawa has been a failure for sure and I guess that can make us point and feel good but we aren't any better. Columbus has also failed. Philly (and maybe even Montreal) bugs me though as there is no way that roster should be better than us but it shows you what coaching and proper hockey can do for a team. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

This is a tough one. I’ve never seen a hit get that much head while also not looking like head hunting.

This is perfectly stated. I feel like there was a hit on a Sabre back in the 2005-2007 window that was like this one (when the rules and norms were different, of course). Reflexively, I want to say that Connolly was on the wrong end of it. Pominville perhaps? Same idea: Player on offence is stretching, reaching as they enter the zone, and their head is therefore low, and the defending player is coming through to deliver a big bodycheck.

8 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Nice run by McDavid and crew, stopped at 16. 

Edmonton was looking to tie the 1992-93 Pittsburgh Penguins for the longest NHL win streak.

After the start they had and a coaching change.

Funny how that works. 

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

But it’s not a guarantee to work. It could, it also might make things worse (I know how could they be worse).  

They also have an insanely talented roster topped off by two of the best centers in the universe.  Not all situations are the same.

45 minutes ago, inkman said:

But it’s not a guarantee to work. It could, it also might make things worse (I know how could they be worse).  

It is until the Sabres do it and prove otherwise.

I'm a patient fan I'm just reaching the end of it.

I get that all situations are different.

Not everybody has McDavid and Draisatl like Buffalo could have.