Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

On 2/3/2024 at 9:58 AM, Taro T said:

Detroit's mascot is a giant octopus

When I lived there, the octopus was just a thing for the playoffs, reflecting the number of wins needed under the old format.  I didn't see it as the actual team mascot.  Maybe it's evolved over the years.

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

When I lived there, the octopus was just a thing for the playoffs, reflecting the number of wins needed under the old format.  I didn't see it as the actual team mascot.  Maybe it's evolved over the years.

Well, at the ASG last year, Upper Deck was giving out trading cards of the mascots.  There were 31 total.  30 guys in fuzzy suits w/ some sort of cartoon animal head for the most part.  And 1 that was just a big rubber octopus.  Will let you guess which team that was for.  😉

The NY Rags were the only team with no mascot whatsoever.

24 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You lived in Detroit?

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Well, at the ASG last year, Upper Deck was giving out trading cards of the mascots.  There were 31 total.  30 guys in fuzzy suits w/ some sort of cartoon animal head for the most part.  And 1 that was just a big rubber octopus.  Will let you guess which team that was for.  😉

I really don’t want to know what mascot they’d come up with for a team named the rags. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/2/2024 at 3:34 PM, Porous Five Hole said:

Can the league force an owner to sell and relocate? 

Yes. 

The NHL has bylaws that every team must adhere with, one of these is having a suitable NHL Arena for the team to play in. Alex Meruelos has had more than enough opportunities to figure out a plan and has failed to do so. I imagine the NHL agreeing to allow the Coyotes to play at Mullet Atena came with the caveat that if a suitable arena plan did not come to fruition in a reasonable timeframe, the league would purchase the team at specified price. 

Jeff Marek has mentioned if this scenario comes to fruition, league would take control of the Coyotes and selling the team for the same price as an expansion franchise and the other 31 teams splitting the profit equally.. 

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Houston.

Nope it will be Salt Lake City. 

Ryan Smith, the owner of the Utah Jazz, has met with Gary Bettman on multiple occasions about bringing a franchise to SLC. Friedman said this week that the many NHL higher ups, including multiple NHL Owners want Smith in the league. Salt Lake is the favorite for the one of the expansion franchises or relocation of the Coyotes 

The Maverk Center, has 12,600 capacity, and would be available for the start of of the 2024-25 Season for the NHL. 
Salt Lake City is the front runner for the 2034 Winter Olympics and Smith along with State and Local Officials have discussed a new arena for SLC as a result 

• Thanks (+1) 1

@Doohickie

Actually an NHL Franchise would use Delta Arena until a permanent home would be built. It hosts a NHL Preseason Game every year in Salt Lake City. 

Here is an article about the interest 

https://www.kuer.org/sports-recreation/2024-01-24/utah-jazz-owners-say-they-are-ready-right-now-for-an-nhl-team-in-salt-lake-city

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Nope it will be Salt Lake City. 

Ryan Smith, the owner of the Utah Jazz, has met with Gary Bettman on multiple occasions about bringing a franchise to SLC. Friedman said this week that the many NHL higher ups, including multiple NHL Owners want Smith in the league. Salt Lake is the favorite for the one of the expansion franchises or relocation of the Coyotes 

The Maverk Center, has 12,600 capacity, and would be available for the start of of the 2024-25 Season for the NHL. 
Salt Lake City is the front runner for the 2034 Winter Olympics and Smith along with State and Local Officials have discussed a new arena for SLC as a result 

Salt Lake City Sabres actually has a good ring to it.

Just saying 🙂

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Salt Lake City Sabres actually has a good ring to it.

Just saying 🙂

That pesky non relocation clause will get in the way. 

Besides Buffalo was a great hockey market until Pegula took over, the NHL knows how bad he is and wouldn’t let him move this franchise another market. 

Arizona is a unique situation with no arena in place and even if they move the NHL will probably put an expansion team back in Phoenix under a new ownership group within 5-10 years. 

The league wants its expansion fees, so any relocation fee will probably be equal to that cost. Couple that with franchises selling for close to a billion dollars that adds up quickly. 

The NHL knows it’s the only one of the major leagues with less than 30 teams in the United States and that Vegas and Seattle are huge revenue streams for the league. They are going to try and replicate that in Atlanta and at least 2-3 other markets.  This will be preferred over relocation. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/4/2024 at 12:52 PM, Taro T said:

Did you know that Sabretooth is the second oldest NHL mascot behind only Harvey The Hound?

On 2/4/2024 at 11:00 PM, SABRES 0311 said:

Just saw Kucherov’s lack luster skills competition performance. If you want players to care then make it something they can care about. 

Sure but that dude is extraordinarily unlikeable.  

10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

All the boxes Check

Vet✔️

Old ✔️

Sucks at hockey now ✔️

Welcome to buffalo 

✔️

2 time Stanley Cup Champion

✔️

Playoff Tested Vet of Over 100 Playoff Games

I was banging the table for him or a guy like him, 4-6 years ago. 

He could probably still provide these guys with some leadership.

Beloved Leader and Captain Kyle has exactly zero cups and 24 playoff games to his name.

On 2/5/2024 at 2:56 PM, Norcal said:

I just can't understand how the least watched and covered sports league in America can expand to 34 teams. 

Doesn't seem like there would be enough interest. 

The owners are like Pepé Le Pew chasing that poor female cat.  They are absolutely insatiable in their desire for $$$ and will use any means they can to open that cash register.  The easiest way, expansion fees.  It’s probably the only way some franchises make money.  The league is a disgrace and will probably fold in the next few decades.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

The owners are like Pepé Le Pew chasing that poor female cat.  They are absolutely insatiable in their desire for $$$ and will use any means they can to open that cash register.  The easiest way, expansion fees.  It’s probably the only way some franchises make money.  The league is a disgrace and will probably fold in the next few decades.  

They're gonna ruin it with greed. There's just not enough of anything to go around. 

• Disagree 1

On 2/5/2024 at 1:56 PM, Norcal said:

I just can't understand how the least watched and covered sports league in America can expand to 34 teams. 

Doesn't seem like there would be enough interest. 

The reasoning is there are fewer teams in the United States in the NHL than any other professional league. I think the league believes the US can support 30-32 teams. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibilities either, but I’d like to see them pump the breaks before going to 36 teams, which to me is the most logical number left for a while. 

• Like (+1) 1