Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

11 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

HIs treatment of Bruce Boudreau makes me feel differently.

Tocchet was a member of the media when he was hired, did you expect this to remain under wraps while the process played out? 

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Cold and Ruthless are different than "firing your coach" but leaving him in limbo for multiple weeks and letting the media hound the guy over very real rumors about him being replaced. That's just bad management 

The Canucks were below the Sabres in the standings last season and now lead the league in points and are on pace for 104, how many Canucks Fans think that’s bad management. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Prolly the numero uno thing holding this team back. It all starts at the top. ( not TP obviously ).

I remember around the time that Karmanos was being hired, Chad DeDomincis mentioned that Rutherford was interested in taking an advisory role with the team with one major stipulation, that TP stayed out of Hockey Ops. 

Pegula has taken a major step back from the day to day operations since Kim’s Medical Issue, so hopefully that helps with future  coach recruitment 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Every day we sit stagnent and not doing a single thing makes me dislike this organization more and more. The Islanders were a playoff team last season and fired the HC, Granato has yet to make it in what? Going into year 4 and the team regressing from all but 2 players and we keep him, just makes me ill to be a fan of this team right now since we're accepting losing once again!

Edited by GoPuckYourself
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Every day we sit stagnent and not doing a single thing makes me dislike this organization more and more. The Islanders were a playoff team last season and fired the HC, Granato has yet to make it in what? Going into year 4 and the team regressing from all but 2 players and we keep him, just makes me ill to be a fan of this team right now since we're accepting losing once again!

Truth. The bar here is much much lower than it is in most other organizations. 

I think they recognized they needed a culture change here when Adams came in and there was a start, but they've blown it again and you can see it on the bench. This team accepts losing. 

There is no TEAM here. There is a bunch of rich guys who enjoy hanging out together and having fun between their stalls or wherever and when things go easy and well they have a great time, but as soon as it gets tough they disappear and they're fine with it. It's been that way since Pegula got here, or at least from when they fired Nolan the second time with the tank. 

We "tanked", and we have never gotten off that ocean floor. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Truth. The bar here is much much lower than it is in most other organizations. 

I think they recognized they needed a culture change here when Adams came in and there was a start, but they've blown it again and you can see it on the bench. This team accepts losing. 

There is no TEAM here. There is a bunch of rich guys who enjoy hanging out together and having fun between their stalls or wherever and when things go easy and well they have a great time, but as soon as it gets tough they disappear and they're fine with it. It's been that way since Pegula got here, or at least from when they fired Nolan the second time with the tank. 

We "tanked", and we have never gotten off that ocean floor. 

It's unfortunate because they really looked like they'd make it last season or at least turning it around for this season to be special but something didn't sit well with me when Adams only move was to bring in Greenway. Yes developing players is important I agree but winning a Stanley Cup should always be priority #1 above all else and we just needed to make it in. We could have got that playoff hump off our backs and we would have known what it would take to make the playoffs again this season, now the playoffs seem like something we will never get to.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

It's unfortunate because they really looked like they'd make it last season or at least turning it around for this season to be special but something didn't sit well with me when Adams only move was to bring in Greenway. Yes developing players is important I agree but winning a Stanley Cup should always be priority #1 above all else and we just needed to make it in. We could have got that playoff hump off our backs and we would have known what it would take to make the playoffs again this season, now the playoffs seem like something we will never get to.

Indeed, it was pretty ridiculous to bring Levi in for a handful of games at the end of the year and then Adams presumably pronounced to himself, well, that's done, goaltending taken care of. Even though some people here also believed it, or at least hoped that if they believed in it hard enough and said "Levi's an allstar" 3 times in a mirror they could make it come true. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Thorny said:

If you go one more game back you would have the 5-1 beating they gave the Bruins.

They have also let in 3 goals or fewer over the last 34 games. Hellebuyck has let in 2 or fewer in the last 19 of 20 games he has played. He leads the league with a .945 sv%. His backup is in 2nd place with a .944 sv%.

They did this with KC out and now Scheif is out.

They sit in 1st place overall this morning.

Crazy Edmonton has now turned it around so much after such a poor start...guess the Islanders hope Roy can bring some fire into the team that looks lost (kinda like the Sabres)...suddenly the Oilers, Jets and of al teams the Canucks are powerhouses; go figure

Edited by sabrefanday1

36 minutes ago, Ducky said:

If you go one more game back you would have the 5-1 beating they gave the Bruins.

They have also let in 3 goals or fewer over the last 34 games. Hellebuyck has let in 2 or fewer in the last 19 of 20 games he has played. He leads the league with a .945 sv%. His backup is in 2nd place with a .944 sv%.

Yes, and they bought out the team captain and send their 2C to Kings during the offseason!! And last season the coach shouted out that the stars are lazy (but said in other words). Not what we are used to here.

6 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Yes, and they bought out the team captain and send their 2C to Kings during the offseason!! And last season the coach shouted out that the stars are lazy (but said in other words). Not what we are used to here.

Not what we were use to here either with Maurice as coach since the beginning of time.

Bones has them playing a structured game and our goalies are playing like allstars.

Scheif is our leading scorer and around 43rd in the league yet the team is in first overall.

Boston, TO, and TO again before the much, much needed break.

We've had a pretty easy schedule except for the last string of 9? games in 15 days. Have a horrendous March/April, so I am glad they are banking points now.

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ducky said:

Oh they definitely look great. Very impressive too considering almost everyone was calling for a rebuild. 

I just think this very easy extended stretch of games has also been a bit of a factor, too.

I was also the guy clamouring for Hellebuyck if he was at all available when nearly no one else was so, I feel rather good in that as he’s been their best player 

I’m not sold on them as a playoff threat at all until I see it, the whole league tightens up defensively so with their advantage on that front somewhat mitigated I’m not sure their offence will get it done at that time, but it’s certainly wide open. You have to give them credit for an outstanding season thus far. 

Bowness needs some awards consideration  

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1