Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

46 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Lots of fisticuffs in the Devils/Hawks game tonight.  Things got chippy when Connor Bedard was knocked out of the game in the first period...he may have taken a shoulder to his chops and has not returned.

Figured that would happen at some point this year. Surprised it was Jersey. 

4 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Lots of fisticuffs in the Devils/Hawks game tonight.  Things got chippy when Connor Bedard was knocked out of the game in the first period...he may have taken a shoulder to his chops and has not returned.

The Foligno-Smith fights were such fake fights.  I could tell Foligno was just postering because those were the most…let’s call them… “cautious” punches thrown I’ve seen in a tilt from a “tough guy.”  100% Folingo was only thinking about his paycheck, and that he didn’t want to get lambasted like Reaves did in TO. 

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Figured that would happen at some point this year. Surprised it was Jersey. 

There has been a lot of cheap shots this year. The league has to do a better job of calling majors and suspending and not just fining players.  I aim all about the rough stuff, but some of these guys are just taking runs at the young skilled players.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Love a league where a 3rd Pair Defenseman can take a future superstar out for 6-8 weeks 

Did you see the replay? The D man barely moved Bedard just skated straight into him, lol

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Think Chicago would give up a 3rd for Olofsson?

If it had timed out differently they might have claimed Jost. 

Give them VO for future considerations. 

3 hours ago, sweetlou said:

There has been a lot of cheap shots this year. The league has to do a better job of calling majors and suspending and not just fining players.  I aim all about the rough stuff, but some of these guys are just taking runs at the young skilled players.

and why not? 

There's no rule that says "oh hey, take it easy on this guy he's young and not that physically developed yet". You stick kids in the line up these things will happen. You take that physicality out of hockey the game is ruined. 

7 hours ago, sweetlou said:

That was about as clean an open ice hit gets.  Unfortunate result though.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Quint said:

Reinhart with his 26th, 27th and 28th tonight. That makes 7 goals the last 5 games. Will he hit 60 goals this year?

Being a UFA inspires a lot of players to have career years. I am happy for Sam, I liked him a lot as a Sabre.

Nylander is another one.

They are in their primes but teams will be paying big $$$ for past performance.

On 1/6/2024 at 6:48 PM, Brawndo said:

Love a league where a 3rd Pair Defenseman can take a future superstar out for 6-8 weeks 

To be honest Bedard was reaching for the puck leaving him very vulnerable, smith just stood there like a pilon.  Was his own fault reaching for that puck and running into Smith.    Rookie mistake.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Pretty fitting after last nights game 🙂

Looks to me from this angle that Danworth scored a goal. (1:19) Also IMO it looked like Danworth reacted (before tripping over Fleury) as if he had scored. 

I don't think Fleury ever touched or deflected the puck on the shot. It looked like it went over him, though the announcer didn't see it and made it sound like he made the save.

When shot, the puck was fluttering and it hit a vertical (hanging?) small black stick in the net. It may have hit the crossbar but I think it hit something under the crossbar that was in the net and bounced out quickly. At least that's what I can tell from this angle. 

Edited by Quint

20 minutes ago, Quint said:

Looks to me from this angle that Danworth scored a goal. (1:19) Also IMO it looked like Danworth reacted (before tripping over Fleury) as if he had scored. 

I don't think Fleury ever touched or deflected the puck on the shot. It looked like it went over him, though the announcer didn't see it and made it sound like he made the save.

When shot, the puck was fluttering and it hit a vertical (hanging?) small black stick in the net. It may have hit the crossbar but I think it hit something under the crossbar that was in the net and bounced out quickly. At least that's what I can tell from this angle. 

I think the puck barely clipped fleury's stick and went wide to the left. The puck hits a black line on the boards behind the net.

3 minutes ago, skaught said:

I think the puck barely clipped fleury's stick and went wide to the left. The puck hits a black line on the boards behind the net.

I don't think the puck hit the stick, but just grazed the far post.  That's what it looks like to me anyway on the super slowmo.