Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Oh I know we'll need to make a trade; its more of a matter of getting something of equal value that concerns me.

I am absolutely worried this is exactly how KA thinks

a refusal to lose a battle to win the war

imo, it’s stinky strategy 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

While I understand what you are saying……

In the context of this specific discussion, I don’t like Hanifin.  I’m  a little concerned about the fit, as another LHD, and I’m also concerned that he is not that good.

I have major concerns that he is an average #4 D who is going to require a contract far in excess of what he provides.

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

While I understand what you are saying……

In the context of this specific discussion, I don’t like Hanifin.  I’m  a little concerned about the fit, as another LHD, and I’m also concerned that he is not that good.

I have major concerns that he is an average #4 D who is going to require a contract far in excess of what he provides.

I’m speaking towards his modus operandi as a whole

which I think it’s very relevant because he appears to be exceptionally regimented 

Ive posted about this recently, I have a high opinion on his skills as an evaluator, drafter, negotiator, most nouns: my suspicion is he’s a terrible strategist - at least relative to the strategy id employ 

ymmv

Edited by Thorny

43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m speaking towards his modus operandi as a whole

which I think it’s very relevant because he appears to be exceptionally regimented 

Ive posted about this recently, I have a high opinion on his skills as an evaluator, drafter, negotiator, most nouns: my suspicion is he’s a terrible strategist - at least relative to the strategy id employ 

ymmv

Yes, I don’t disagree.  I’ve pushed back in years past against people saying we need to make trades or bring in high priced FAs in order to make the playoffs NOW.

This offseason was my personal inflection point.  I would have like a better defenseman, as the additions were acceptable, but barely.  And I am not comfortable with the goalie situation at all.

The current emergence of Benson as someone who will almost certainly be another useful player and possible star, in a couple years if not right now, makes we even more comfortable with the idea of trading a couple prospects.

I expect Adams to be on the lookout for in season additions, like Greenway last season.  I’ll give him this season.  If they don’t make the playoffs, I’ll be disappointed, and I expect serious upgrades before the 2024-25 season.  If none materialize I’m going to go sharpen a pitchfork.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yes, I don’t disagree.  I’ve pushed back in years past against people saying we need to make trades or bring in high priced FAs in order to make the playoffs NOW.

This offseason was my personal inflection point.  I would have like a better defenseman, as the additions were acceptable, but barely.  And I am not comfortable with the goalie situation at all.

The current emergence of Benson as someone who will almost certainly be another useful player and possible star, in a couple years if not right now, makes we even more comfortable with the idea of trading a couple prospects.

I expect Adams to be on the lookout for in season additions, like Greenway last season.  I’ll give him this season.  If they don’t make the playoffs, I’ll be disappointed, and I expect serious upgrades before the 2024-25 season.  If none materialize I’m going to go sharpen a pitchfork.

Ya we’re on the same wavelength. It’s not like what I think matters one iota, but missing this year would be a failed expectation, necessitating meeting expectations NEXT year, under pain of canning 

Edited by Thorny

On 10/23/2023 at 8:22 PM, sabremike said:

Why plug a huge hole using one of your countless forward prospects and prevent the guy you just gave a ton of money to from being destroyed like Risto or Myers were? Because this organization is owned and run by absolute fools. Soon to be 13 years ***** all and counting, I'm just tired of this neverending *****.  

On that note Risto hasn't played a single game for the Flyers this year and is apparently headed to LTIR with an "undisclosed" issue. I'm thinking bruised ego. 

19 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You can BE BOTH . The much ridiculed Yzerplan added several veterans and a plethora of draft picks as I think they had 2 firsts and several seconds last year and have 2 firsts next year. They used their cap money. Too soon to say if it has worked, but they have tried to be that thing you want (which I agree with). 

Yzerman has been the GM of Detroit for 4.5 years and has zero playoff appearances.  How long does he get? 

However long that is, should then be the litmus test for GMKA then, right?

Just now, SabresBaltimore said:

From that article:

Nevermind that Tkachuk started it and Tuch retaliated, then Tkachuk escalated. Tkachuk is a scumbag

The travesty isn’t that fight, which was retaliation for Tuch’s clip, isn’t suspendible (apparently).The travesty was the non-call on Tkachuk’s high hit on Tuch earlier.

I get the no suspension call, given the preceding clip.  I don’t get earlier non call.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Weave said:

The travesty isn’t that fight, which was retaliation for Tuch’s clip, isn’t suspendible (apparently).The travesty was the non-call on Tkachuk’s high hit on Tuch earlier.

I get the no suspension call, given the preceding clip.  I don’t get earlier non call.

Especially when He took six strides at full speed to deliver the hit 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Weave said:

Just like his brother.  Takes liberties with opponents then gets butt hurt when the opponent does something to retaliate.  And then loses his #### at the retaliation.

4 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Yzerman has been the GM of Detroit for 4.5 years and has zero playoff appearances.  How long does he get? 

However long that is, should then be the litmus test for GMKA then, right?

His time is now. 

KA I give a slightly shorter timeline to because he got a huge head start. Our young core was here sooner than Yzerman's. JBott already brought most of them in. 

Do you not think that failing to make the playoffs this year would be a failure on the part of management?

On 10/24/2023 at 5:51 PM, Thorny said:

I can’t disagree with you even though I want to. I’m personally in that same mindset as Adams may very well be. I deep down know we’ll have to move someone eventually but don’t want to be hurt again. Plus I feel a connection with the roster and its prospects since I’ve followed from the draft on. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I can’t disagree with you even though I want to. I’m personally in that same mindset as Adams may very well be. I deep down know we’ll have to move someone eventually but don’t want to be hurt again. Plus I feel a connection with the roster and its prospects since I’ve followed from the draft on. 

Fair enough. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Actually if you watch a little before the fight Tuch started it and I like that he did. 

That was Tuch retaliating for the cheap shot Tkachuk got away with on him earlier. I forget exactly what he did now, but he took a few strides to hit Tuch away from the play and there was no penalty called.

• Agree 1