Sabres ticket sales still pretty dismal

PromoTheRobot

On 9/29/2023 at 3:14 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Eventually this excuse will not hold up. Pretty close to there now. Then it will be cup holders and floor cracks.

We all have told you why the Buffalo Sabres games aren’t selling out. The bottom line is the Canadian hockey fan isn’t in a rush to hand over their money to the Buffalo Sabres either. We saw that in the drop in season tickets. Our tickets aren’t cheap and Terry Pegula doesn’t paper the house like past Sabres owners. So these attendance figures are more accurate than the past ownerships so keep that in mind too in regards to attendance.

The bottom line I believe the Toronto Maple Leafs would would give Terry Pegula money before wanting them out of Buffalo. It benefits the Maple Leafs to have the second Southern Ontario team in Buffalo instead of closer like Hamilton or the Toronto suburbs. Believe me the Buffalo Sabres aren’t going anywhere. You think the NHL owners are going to give up huge expansion rights fees in Houston or Atlanta for letting Terry Pegula move or sell the Buffalo Sabres out of town? It isn’t like Terry Pegula has a lot of choices he would have to prove hardship and NHL owners would question Terry Pegula about his product sucks for 12 straight years.

Arizona Coyotes, Winnipeg Jets are also two teams struggling worse than the Buffalo Sabres because in Winnipeg they take in Canadian money. So this is all ridiculous now if the Sabres make the playoffs and there is no bounce back the following year then the Sabres could be in potential trouble with the NHL owners. But until then no I don’t believe the Sabres have justification for moving the franchise. I think if the Sabres were going to move they wouldn’t do renovations that are planned or upgrade the video replay board. No owner would care about upgrading the food product if they are moving. Also keep in mind Terry Pegula makes money on concerts at Key Bank Center that is where the big money is the high priced concert tickets. Terry Pegula gets that owning the Buffalo Sabres along with all the events at Key Bank Center. Owners that give up on a market do nothing like what is happening with the Oakland Athletics John Fisher the owner isn’t doing a thing he is making so it bad fans don’t want to go.

The Buffalo Sabres are no where like that. I know the warning signs having lost my NBA Buffalo Braves at 10 years old. The Braves stars would sold for cash like Bob McAdoo. For Buffalo fans too young to remember it would be like if the Buffalo Bills sold Josh Allen for cash and nothing else in return. Do you want to buy a Buffalo Braves ticket? That is what Buffalo Braves owner John Y. Brown did to break the Braves lease. Nothing crazy like that is happening with the Buffalo Sabres. If it was I would be the first one to point it out in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I religiously drove from Rochester to Buffalo for around half of the Sabres games, every season, for many years. 

Around 8 years ago, I stopped doing that. I can count on one hand how many games I’ve been to in person since then. 

The reasons go beyond the team being bad. I can go watch them lose and still enjoy myself, if there are other factors. Those other factors started vanishing more after the new ownership took over. 

Even if tickets were only $10 I’d question whether it would even be a fun time to attend regardless if the team is bad or not. How’s the music? How’s the arena? How’s the parking? Is there a giveaway? How’s the food? How’s the atmosphere? What are they doing during intermissions to entertain people?

They said they did all the work into improving the food at least - so, for those who have went, is it any better? 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

10 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

The reasons go beyond the team being bad. I can go watch them lose and still enjoy myself, if there are other factors. Those other factors started vanishing more after the new ownership took over. 

Even if tickets were only $10 I’d question whether it would even be a fun time to attend regardless if the team is bad or not. How’s the music? How’s the arena? How’s the parking? Is there a giveaway? How’s the food? How’s the atmosphere? What are they doing during intermissions to entertain people?

They said they did all the work into improving the food at least - so, for those who have went, is it any better? 

I still maintain that if you are a die hard, hard core hockey fan, one who lives and dies with the Sabres and the game of hockey.....then you may now be BEST served by watching the game on Television at home rather than in the arena.  Large screen-high def viewing, camera angles that show clearer action/more detail than you can see at most seats in the arena.  Replays not on a scoreboard or your phone but on your own big screen.  The ability to go on the computer and read instant analysis while loading up replays of plays or goals and viewing them frame-by-frame if you wish.

The Arena experience...well, you may or may not have the best view of the game.  You have the loud music pumped into the arena, the announcer or scoreboard employing the fans to 'get loud'. More promotions than replays.  We all know what it is like.

So again, when I really REALLY care about a particular game, that is the game I want to watch at home. By myself, with my laptop next to me or on the big screen but sitting at my desk with my computer already fired up.  The day (and I THINK it is coming soon) when you can subscribe to a package and be able to log into an app or website and select whatever camera angle you want...once that happens there will be virtually zero reason for the 'hard core/the game is all that matters' fan to go to the arena.

If you want many of us to give up that at-home experience and go to a game, then the 'outside' entertainment better be top notch, not annoying.  The seats I sit in better be comfortable, not with cracks in them and with broken cupholders.  If I'm going to pay $10+ for food and more for a drink it better be pretty darn good.

The 'arena experience' is important. VERY important.  People can joke about the cracks in the concrete and the bad sound system or the broken cupholders, but that stuff DOES matter. For many people, they are giving up a little bit of a 'true viewing' experience at home to to to the game, and THOSE things are the difference makers.

Edited by mjd1001

12 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I still maintain that if you are a die hard, hard core hockey fan, one who lives and dies with the Sabres and the game of hockey.....then you may now be BEST served by watching the game on Television at home rather than in the arena.  Large screen-high def viewing, camera angles that show clearer action/more detail than you can see at most seats in the arena.  Replays not on a scoreboard or your phone but on your own big screen.  The ability to go on the computer and read instant analysis while loading up replays of plays or goals and viewing them frame-by-frame if you wish.

The Arena experience...well, you may or may not have the best view of the game.  You have the loud music pumped into the arena, the announcer or scoreboard employing the fans to 'get loud'. More promotions than replays.  We all know what it is like.

So again, when I really REALLY care about a particular game, that is the game I want to watch at home. By myself, with my laptop next to me or on the big screen but sitting at my desk with my computer already fired up.  The day (and I THINK it is coming soon) when you can subscribe to a package and be able to log into an app or website and select whatever camera angle you want...once that happens there will be virtually zero reason for the 'hard core/the game is all that matters' fan to go to the arena.

If you want many of us to give up that at-home experience and go to a game, then the 'outside' entertainment better be top notch, not annoying.  The seats I sit in better be comfortable, not with cracks in them and with broken cupholders.  If I'm going to pay $10+ for food and more for a drink it better be pretty darn good.

The 'arena experience' is important. VERY important.  People can joke about the cracks in the concrete and the bad sound system or the broken cupholders, but that stuff DOES matter. For many people, they are giving up a little bit of a 'true viewing' experience at home to to to the game, and THOSE things are the difference makers.

While I won’t deny the benefits you lay out, I would just counter that the live entertainment and atmosphere when the team is consistently winning (ofcourse I realize it’s been awhile) is unmatched.  High fiving random strangers who care about the team like you, feeling the gasp of 18,000 people in a close play is one of those unique experiences in life.  I can certainly appreciate those that want to fire up twenty views of a play on their big screen but can also appreciate the buzz and excitement that comes from watching live professional sports.

• Like (+1) 1

This was talked about dureing the Sportsnet broadcast of the game tonight that Buffalos attendance hasn't been good outside of the home opener

The thing is, attendance around the entire league is pretty bad in alot of areas, there were even rumblings that I saw about whether the Jets could relocate because they have had really bad attendance this year.

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

This was talked about dureing the Sportsnet broadcast of the game tonight that Buffalos attendance hasn't been good outside of the home opener

The thing is, attendance around the entire league is pretty bad in alot of areas, there were even rumblings that I saw about whether the Jets could relocate because they have had really bad attendance this year.

Relocation isn’t the answer for everything. Houston and Atlanta were both in the MLB playoffs, have NFL, NBA and MLS teams. The NHL isn’t going to pack the house with a bad on ice product for years with some of these potential cities like Houston and Atlanta and that isn’t in factoring in major college football. The Atlanta NHL team isn’t beating out the Georgia Bulldogs the NFL Atlanta Falcons don’t even do that in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Sabres Fan said:

Relocation isn’t the answer for everything. Houston and Atlanta were both in the MLB playoffs, have NFL, NBA and MLS teams. The NHL isn’t going to pack the house with a bad on ice product for years with some of these potential cities like Houston and Atlanta and that isn’t in factoring in major college football. The Atlanta NHL team isn’t beating out the Georgia Bulldogs the NFL Atlanta Falcons don’t even do that in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Not disagreeing with what you said, just what the article was suggesting/saying

The fact that there is talk of giving Atlanta a 3rd shot at a franchise, but won't consider a 2nd chance for Quebec isn't right

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Not disagreeing with what you said, just what the article was suggesting/saying

The fact that there is talk of giving Atlanta a 3rd shot at a franchise, but won't consider a 2nd chance for Quebec isn't right

The opportunity for corporate sponsorship and advertising is so much more in Atlanta than Quebec. Plus Quebec hurt themselves by building an arena with a small capacity.

I went to a Thrashers game and it was a good atmosphere with decent attendance. But perennial losing turns off fans. An expansion team does much better these days.

5 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

The opportunity for corporate sponsorship and advertising is so much more in Atlanta than Quebec. Plus Quebec hurt themselves by building an arena with a small capacity.

I went to a Thrashers game and it was a good atmosphere with decent attendance. But perennial losing turns off fans. An expansion team does much better these days.

18,259 seats is small capacity?

According to Wikipedia, its the 19th largest indoor arean in North America & the 3rd largest venue to not hold an NHL franchise (Clevland and Portland are larger by +/-1-200 seats), its larger then the Rangers and bruins arena, and both of the last expansion teams arenas (by +/-700-1,000 seats)

Sure you can argue its not a 'Big Corporate City', but its not like Atlanta thrived the last couple times they had a franchise. The only reason to put another team back there is to try AGAIN to force an ice sport into a southern/warmer climate area to try an expand the hockey fanbase (its why they won't give up on Phoenix/Arizona). A Quebec team, or any Canadian franchise isn't likely to bring new fans into the NHL, its likely to just rearrange some existing fan bases.

Eyeballed the attendance at puck drop in the 6k's, but by the 2nd there were probably 8k in the building.  

It looked like an October '22 crowd initially.

There was about a 50/50 split of Sabres and Habs fans.

Yes, the attendance was dismal last night.  But am curious just how much the new policy of not selling tix to out of towners until close to game time kept the attendance down.  Heard speculation that part of the low attendance was the box office price being high, but they were in the middle of the adjustable pricing range and the same as the cost of the Aisles game on Saturday.  Really believe it was more due to not selling to out of towners when they were looking for tix than the price being too high for a Monday. 

Know that people had a hard time selling the tix even on the resell market as a guy with a pair of singles in the front row up top couldn't sell either even at about 90% of his price.  Don't know, but expect that the no out of towners buying tix policy until close to the game date also extends to the resale market as both are listed through Ticketmaster.

If that is the case, that resale tix aren't available either to out of towners, wonder whether that will have the side effect of causing the tix for those games to get listed on secondary resale websites rather than Ticketmaster's?  Which would ultimately shoot the Sabres in the foot to a small degree as people won't know inherently which games are only being sold locally and which can be bought from anywhere so they may list ALL their extra seats on a secondary website.

Personally, would rather see the barn close to full even with 70% of the fans wearing Red and Blue than have it less than 50% full with an even mix of fans.  That was jarring seeing so few people in the barn at puck drop.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

The cost of going to professional sports is ridiculous. I feel bad for Bills fans when new stadium opens.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.