Buffalo, New York, Is the Nicest Place in America

Zamboni

5 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Big city? *Maybe* (and that's if you count Buffalo as a big city). I can assure you there are communities where the people are far less grumpy than Buffalo. The anger expressed through driving in Erie County alone is enough to call this BS.

Rochester drivers are even grumpier drivers in my experience.

There's a certain class of citizen in this area that loves melodrama and this is a great illustration of it. And I'm not saying this to knock down the events described or the people mentioned, I think those are certainly excellent examples of good folk doing good things. But does it make Buffalo "the nicest place in America"? Not to anyone who has traveled the country. The entire country, except for certain pockets where citizens have been thoroughly transformed into ugly things, is full of nice people.

This kind of article ignores tragedies and stories of humanity that occur throughout the country like hurricanes in Florida, 80 dead from a tornado in Kentucky, and on and on. Every area is tested eventually. Every area has people so traumatized by those tests that entering a prose contest is some sort of catharsis for them. Which is fine, but this article is a brief moment of feel-good that's more useful in an incumbent's re-election campaign than it is in establishing any particular measure.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I enjoy my times in Buffalo and environs enough that I fairly often think about moving there from small town Pennsyltucky. I wouldn't ever do it. Just not in my nature.

One thing... what's the statute of limitations "once prosperous Buffalo"? I mean, it's been at least 50 and more like 60 since the population was 600k and manufacturing was booming. It's a different place now, "booming" in different ways. Give it a rest. Also please put the snow angle in a barrel and send it over the Falls.

Kinda with @... on this one.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/20/2023 at 11:01 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Because it's almost Canada 🙂

Proximity to Canada helps in Buffalo's uniqueness.  How many cities are boarder cities and near such a cool part of Canada?  

Today I drove to the Falls, toured both sides.  Then went to Niagara on the Lake and got my steps in walking their lovely streets on another gorgeous day September day.  I had several shop owners comment positively on my Bills cap, and we also talked Sabres.  I even met some Canadian Leaf Haters.  I had a very nice dining experience there,  all with a European style.   

I don't pay attention to nicest city, worst city, best city stuff.  Buffalo is a fine city - it has world class architecture, diverse people, great food, and close proximity to Lake Erie, Niagara River and Falls, Lake Ontario, Finger Lakes, the Southern Tier of NYS.  Plus it boarders a very cool part of Canada and that adds another flavor to living there.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.