Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #10 Henri Jokiharju

dudacek

Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #10 Henri Jokiharju   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best reflects your expectations for Henri Jokiharju this year?

• He’s too unreliable – 3rd pair this year and not long for Buffalo.
    • He gets to much flak, he’s an average NHL defenceman and capable in a 4/5 role
    • Finally healthy and properly slotted on a good team, he will show his worth as solid 2nd pairing guy

As it was the previous 2 seasons, Jokiharju’s year was marred by injury and his counting stats remained relatively static. The lack of obvious progress from his early years and the addition of shinier, newer toys on the roster led to many fans growing tired of him. His coach, however, should not be counted among that number, skating him for more than 21 minutes a night for the second consecutive year.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=196298

Two Jokiharju stats didn’t spark much attention, but were notable nonetheless. For the first time in his professional career, he finished above 50% in his 5-on-5 shot share. And he did that despite his D-zone starts increasing from 42.9% to 49.3%, and being unstapled from the hip of Rasmus Dahlin. Henri Is entering his 6th NHL season but has never topped 69 games played. He just turned 24 and has played 273 games.

What do you expect from Jokiharju this year?
(Last year’s takes here)

• 4 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/4936865/2023/10/06/buffalo-sabres-henri-jokiharju-injury/

“The Sabres’ 24-year old defenseman was skating back toward the blue line in the offensive zone when Kyle Okposo tried to dump the puck into the corner. The puck hit a stick and then struck Jokiharju in the face. Jokiharju dropped to his knees immediately as blood trickled onto the ice. Trainers helped him to the locker room.

The Sabres went on to win a thrilling 6-3 game, but Jokiharju suffered a facial fracture and a concussion. He didn’t play again for another month, and when he did return he had a tinted visor to deal with the light sensitivity.”

Maybe this explains Joki’s lousy season last year.  

“Now almost 12 months removed from the concussion, Jokiharju said he feels better than he’s ever felt entering a season. Teammates have noticed, too. He has two goals in the preseason so far and has continued to skate alongside Power.”

The tinted visor is gone and DG is coaching him to me more assertive.  

Maybe he’ll bounce back to the player we saw two years ago when he played relaxed and simple and added a little O here and there.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Maybe he’ll bounce back to the player see saw two years ago when he played relaxed and simple and added a little O here and there.

Wouldn't that be great. I'm not as down on Joki as some are here, but I'd prefer him as a 3rd pair guy and have someone better with Power. If he can step up his game and change my mind all the better.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

We can now say, unequivocally, that we won the Nylander/Joki trade. 

Trade won! 

And that Nylander on waivers yesterday, so the Sabres could get him back for nothing.

Win / win ??

Probably not.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS

After watching my son Continue to deal with issues like migraines and light sensitivity for years after his last concussion, I have a  well found respect for those who are able to get past them and be able to do things at a high level.

• Like (+1) 1

Sometimes players become whipping boys because they struggle (Bryson, UPL).

Other times it just feels like the mob needs someone to pile on.

I think the latter’s the case with Joki.

Everyone talks about the defence falling apart last fall when Samuelsson went out. No one talks about #10 also being missing for that stretch.

Everyone talks about Samuelsson Dahlin being such a good pair last year. No one talks about Jokiharju Dahlin being an even better pair analytically.

Everyone talks about injuries hampering Dahlin’s play after the all-star game last year. No one talks about Jokiharju playing through 2 serious injuries last season.

The guys not a star, but he’s a real NHL defenceman, not the Jamie McBain-like press box fodder some of you make him out to be: Sekera, Kalinin, Shannon - good Sabres teams have always had room for guys his level.

The article has a subtext that suggests the room is well aware of what the keyboard warriors are saying about Henri.

I hope he’s healthy and able to piss in their Cheerios this year.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/6/2023 at 12:25 PM, Ctaeth said:

seems like an appropriate place to put this:  

https://twitter.com/23sabres/status/1700619582635921762?s=20

since I apparently suck at getting this to embed...the title of the video is "Henri Jokiharju highlights except it’s just him spamming point shots into shin pads"

the music made me lol

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.