Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #12 Jordan Greenway

dudacek

Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #12 Jordan Greenway   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best reflects your expectations for Jordan Greenway this year?

• He’s a big body who doesn’t play big and will be a non-factor on the 4th line
    • He’s a solid NHL player and will be a serviceable 3rd-liner for Buffalo
    • He will be motivated and unlocked by Granato and will have a productive year in the middle 6

The season started badly for Greenway and got worse. He missed training camp due to an off-season shoulder injury, came back too early and relapsed, then came back again and played poorly. He followed that up by sleeping in and missing a team meeting in late January in what appeared to be the last straw for the Wild. He was acquired by the Sabres at the trade deadline for a late 2nd-round pick, failed to make much of an impression early, missed some time, and played a little better in a middle 6 role when he got back. His production for the season was easily his worst in 5 pro seasons, less than half of his usual per/game rate.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=170297

It wasn’t a huge stretch to conclude neither Greenway, nor Wild coach Dean Evason were huge fans of the other. Don Granato and Greenway on the other hand clearly appreciated what the other brings. Granato seemed pretty clear that Jordan needed to have a big off-season where he got focused and in shape, and Greenway pledged to do exactly that during locker clean-out. Some Buffalo fans were disappointed to discover that Greenway was no Milan Lucic, but he does very much offer the big body and responsible middle six play that everyone thought the Sabres needed last year. At least he did the 3 previous seasons in Minnesota where he averaged 39 points per 82 games as part of their elite checking line.

What do you expect from Greenway this year?

I’m guessing #2.

It sounds almost insulting even if I don’t mean it to be, but he strikes me as the epitome of a player who is a future trivia answer. The type of player that has a relatively low-key career and ends up being the answer to future trivia questions where each time you go, “oh, yeah, I forgot about him. Really? That [whatever stat/fact] was him? Huh.”

That kind of player. No shame in that either. That’s just what he makes me think of.

I don’t think people are appreciating how different the Sabres will look next season.  A healthy Greenway combined with the 2 D additions will make this team much much harder to play against. 

Greenway at his best flourished with Ericksson-Ek and our friend Marcus Foligno.  I think Krebs will work as an Ericksson-Ek replacement.  The question is who do we cast as Marcus Foligno or who will at least play with a Foligno-esque work ethic?  

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t think people are appreciating how different the Sabres will look next season.  A healthy Greenway combined with the 2 D additions will make this team much much harder to play against. 

Greenway at his best flourished with Ericksson-Ek and our friend Marcus Foligno.  I think Krebs will work as an Ericksson-Ek replacement.  The question is who do we cast as Marcus Foligno or who will at least play with a Foligno-esque work ethic?  

Work ethic sneaky picks in order of likelihood: Rousek, Benson, or Savoie.

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Good post.

It is sorta weird how Clifton/Johnson/Greenway/Levi seem to have perfectly targeted last year’s weak spots (goals against, PK, physical presence) at the required positions and Sabrespace has collectively kinda overlooked that.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Good post.

It is sorta weird how Clifton/Johnson/Greenway/Levi seem to have perfectly targeted last year’s weak spots (goals against, PK, physical presence) at the required positions and Sabrespace has collectively kinda overlooked that.

One of the reasons (my opinion) why many have overlooked the acquisitions that the GM has made is that too many people were looking for the extravaganza big deal. What the GM has done is steadily make a number of good deals that cumulatively have addressed our weaknesses. (As you have pointed out with your listing of additions.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.