Some troubling comments attributed to Terry Pegula (and denied by Pegula) and Jerry Jones from SI Writer Jim Trotter’s Lawsuit against the NFL

Brawndo

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

From The Buffalo News today:

So while this probably puts an end to the story, just to be clear that reporting just states that no one else heard it. Most get togethers have sidebar conversations and this could have just been a one on one that no one else heard. 

I think the more important aspect here is that doesn’t appear to be a random footnote in a lawsuit. It looks like a complaint was actually filed at the time and some level of investigation occurred. That’s an oddly specific phrase and it went far enough for an investigation to take place.

Old billionaire white dude who lives in Florida makes a racist statement vs someone making up said statement and filing a private report to the league. 

What do you think the betting lines are here?

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, SDS said:

Old billionaire white dude who lives in Florida makes a racist statement vs someone making up said statement and filing a private report to the league. 

I'm not going to prejudge either of them based upon their net worth, color, or state of residence (nice shading there, BTW), I'll tell you that much.

What a bunch of nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

How many ways can this dichotomy be cast?

A persona of whom it is socially safe to hold prejudices against vs someone desperate to regain a job in an industry that poorly handles charged social issues?

If it was already investigated and determined to be a non-starter before the suit was filed why use it as an argument in the suit?

6 minutes ago, ... said:

How many ways can this dichotomy be cast?

A persona of whom it is socially safe to hold prejudices against vs someone desperate to regain a job in an industry that poorly handles charged social issues?

If it was already investigated and determined to be a non-starter before the suit was filed why use it as an argument in the suit?

Correct me if I’m wrong, didn’t the complaint/investigation come way before this lawsuit? I haven’t read anything to suggest there was an immediate benefit to the person finally the complaint at the time of filing. 

So, if it was true there was no immediate benefit to the person filing the complaint at the time of the complaint, is the assertion that a random complaint was filed by a sociopath who was particularly bored that day?

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, didn’t the complaint/investigation come way before this lawsuit? I haven’t read anything to suggest there was an immediate benefit to the person finally the complaint at the time of filing. 

So, if it was true there was no immediate benefit to the person filing the complaint at the time of the complaint, is the assertion that a random complaint was filed by a sociopath who was particularly bored that day?

Bolded: That's the timeline as I read it. As noted, the complaint was investigated.

Are we to assume the investigation is still open after three years?

As for the rest, yes, bored sociopath is totally it.

43 minutes ago, SDS said:

So while this probably puts an end to the story, just to be clear that reporting just states that no one else heard it. Most get togethers have sidebar conversations and this could have just been a one on one that no one else heard. 

I think the more important aspect here is that doesn’t appear to be a random footnote in a lawsuit. It looks like a complaint was actually filed at the time and some level of investigation occurred. That’s an oddly specific phrase and it went far enough for an investigation to take place.

Well, the statement was allegedly made sometime in 2018 and the complaint with the NFL was filed, and the investigation made, after the September 2020 zoom call.  Also, it looks like Trotter is the one who complained to the NFL about this -- not the unnamed person who allegedly heard TP say this.

So when the unnamed person told the story on the zoom call, anywhere from 1.75 to 2.75 years had elapsed since the dinner.  A lot can happen to memories, and stories, and agendas, in that length of time.  And certainly an exaggerated or misremembered story can be repeated and further spun or distorted by someone who hears it and is PO'd by it.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Again, correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as I’m concerned, as a Buffalo fan, the lawsuit is irrelevant to me. A complaint was filed and an investigation occurred. I think that’s the salient point in all of this. 

Speaking only for myself, I'd like to know whether TP said this.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, the statement was allegedly made sometime in 2018 and the complaint with the NFL was filed, and the investigation made, after the September 2020 zoom call.  Also, it looks like Trotter is the one who complained to the NFL about this -- not the unnamed person who allegedly heard TP say this.

So when the unnamed person told the story on the zoom call, anywhere from 1.75 to 2.75 years had elapsed since the dinner.  A lot can happen to memories, and stories, and agendas, in that length of time.  And certainly an exaggerated or misremembered story can be repeated and further spun or distorted by someone who hears it and is PO'd by it.

Speaking only for myself, I'd like to know whether TP said this.

Thanks for clearing up the timeline. 👍

You know, it would save everyone a lot of back and forth if they would bother to read the suit.

Trotter is not making any accusations against Pegula. He is accusing the league of being full of ***** about its investigation of the alleged incident, and of terminating him for pressing them on it. It is provided as one example, of many, of the league machine existing to cover up, rather than actively pursue remediation of, racist behavior. 

Believe the stories in the suit or don't, it doesn't really matter. What is being asked is: did the league actually do any due diligence? If not, why? And was the plaintiff wrongfully terminated for trying to hold his employer accountable? 

If the Pegula allegations were properly investigated by the league, they should have no trouble providing their documentation of it as part of this suit, and Pegula can brush the whole thing off. Maybe his press release should have said something to that effect.

Unless it couldn't. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Has it ever actually been stated that Trotter filed the original complaint? Either way, it just seems crazy to me that there can even be much to investigate at that point. You’re two years removed from what looks to be a one-on-one conversation. Your just as likely to find out which magazine article Terry was reading while sitting on the can that day. 

In what way does the knowledge that the league conducted an investigation lead the case to be closed? How would it benefit the NFL to do to anything other than sweep it under the rug?  An anonymous source assured us that nothing was said. Oh okay.

People here responded defensively to the lawsuit as if it's about smearing Terry Pegula. Look at what Trotter is actually doing (who works for the Athletic now, and is not desperately trying to get his job back).  As he tells it, he tried to push for change internally through all the right channels but was met with resistance.  He had reason to believe his contract was going to be renewed, and instead he was fired.

Why would he open himself up to the risk of being counter sued? Why get in a legal battle with one of the most powerful, deep pocketed organizations in the world? Because he's telling the truth.  The NFL will settle.  Pegula and Jones's denials will stand. But Trotter is putting the truth out there for people to do with as they will.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, shrader said:

So he's supposed to be sympathetic towards the person accusing him of something that he says he did not do?  That type of response is not even remotely human.  If the statement did actually say that, people would be lining up to call it BS.

Not the person per se. But the harm alleged. The issues implicated. 

4 hours ago, ... said:

Of course it does. You seem to be implying the bias is out of line.

Lol - a bias is a bias, bruh.

It’s no more the time to talk about suing Trotter for all he’s worth than it’s time to talk about Pegula being a racist SOB.

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Not the person per se. But the harm alleged. The issues implicated. 

You’re supposed to be sympathetic towards a harm when someone is dragging your name through the mud to support their claim. I don’t know many who are going to be able to get past that. 

And quite honestly, I think the response from Pegula is much more aimed at the headlines and stories yesterday than it is at Trotter. 

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

You know, it would save everyone a lot of back and forth if they would bother to read the suit.

Trotter is not making any accusations against Pegula. He is accusing the league of being full of ***** about its investigation of the alleged incident, and of terminating him for pressing them on it. It is provided as one example, of many, of the league machine existing to cover up, rather than actively pursue remediation of, racist behavior. 

Believe the stories in the suit or don't, it doesn't really matter. What is being asked is: did the league actually do any due diligence? If not, why? And was the plaintiff wrongfully terminated for trying to hold his employer accountable? 

If the Pegula allegations were properly investigated by the league, they should have no trouble providing their documentation of it as part of this suit, and Pegula can brush the whole thing off. Maybe his press release should have said something to that effect.

Unless it couldn't. 

Great to see you again. I hope all is well.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Has it ever actually been stated that Trotter filed the original complaint? Either way, it just seems crazy to me that there can even be much to investigate at that point. You’re two years removed from what looks to be a one-on-one conversation. Your just as likely to find out which magazine article Terry was reading while sitting on the can that day. 

I reached down. There was nothing there!

2 hours ago, shrader said:

We all know the article in that magazine....

people-are-sharing-the-times-they-were-personally-2-685-1650067399-46_dblbig.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.