Prospect Challenge Roster Announced

Brawndo

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Some very intriguing names on that roster. Can't wait.

Rosen Kulich Cedarqvist

Benson Savoie Nadeau

Neuchev Kozak Kisakov

Fiddler-Schultz and assorted scrubs

Johnson Novikov

Metsa Jandric

Lindgren Komarov

Ratzlaff

Excellent. Start building that chemistry now. Sabres 3rd pair in the not-to-distant future?

• Like (+1) 1

Would it fair to say this will be the most talented team the Sabres have fielded for a prospects tournament?  The forward group has 4 1st rd draft picks, a 2nd rd pick, and 2 talented mid-draft picks in Neuchev and Nadeau in the top 9.  There is also a 1st rd pick on defense.  All in all, there are 16 Sabres draft picks on this roster including my favorite value pick from the last draft in goaltender Scott Ratzlaff and the media's favorite value pick in forward Ethan Miedema.  

Breakdown by draft class 

2023 (4) - Benson, Miedema, Ratzlaff & Panocha

2022 (5) - Savoie, Kulich, Neuchev, Lindgren and Komarov

2021 (5) - Rosen, Kisakov, Nadeau, Novikov and Kozak

2019 (2) - Johnson and Cederqvist

The Others

College UFAs - Metsa (D), Jandric (D), Mersch (C) - Note: brother of Michael Mersch, 

CHL UFAs - Savoie (D), Fiddler-Schultz (C)

Non-Roster - Fleming (G), Sherk (C)

AHL Vet - Giroux (C), Slaggert (C)

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Going Saturday

This is the most talented roster they have ever iced

Last year's was great, this year's, even better! 

43 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Would it fair to say this will be the most talented team the Sabres have fielded for a prospects tournament?  The forward group has 4 1st rd draft picks, a 2nd rd pick, and 2 talented mid-draft picks in Neuchev and Nadeau in the top 9.  There is also a 1st rd pick on defense.  All in all, there are 15 Sabres draft picks on this roster including my favorite value pick from last draft in goaltender Scott Ratzlaff and the media's favorite value pick in forward Ethan Miedema.  

The future sure looks good! So does the present! 

• Like (+1) 1

There is a crazy amount of forward talent here. It is just a short tournament vs peers but I want to see who brings his A game to create some buzz.
I’m interested in the defense prospects. There are tons of high end forwards in the system but D depth is lagging.
I think Novikov can develop into an NHLer and can’t wait to see how he does in N.Am. Johnson has been stewing for a long time in the NCAA, he could be ready by mid season. Has Lindgren improved? His WHL numbers dropped but maybe his defense has taken a step and he is filling in. The kid could really skate. FA Savoie was a solid Dman in the Q, maybe he can take a step.

Ratzlaff is a good goalie, never have enough of those.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, K-9 said:

Really looking forward to it this year. Especially excited to see Novikov. 

I'm looking forward to watching Ryan Johnson in the pairing. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a call-up within the season. 

In this camp there will be at least a half a dozen players that I'll be looking forward to watching. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm looking forward to watching Ryan Johnson in the pairing. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a call-up within the season. 

In this camp there will be at least a half a dozen players that I'll be looking forward to watching. 

Good play by Johnson and Novikov in this tourney and then in camp will make me feel much better about our D depth.  Johnson isn’t making the team in camp, but I agree he could end up playing some games in Buffalo this season. 

The big 3 forwards are also going to be interesting to watch.  Will this tournament be a spring board for one of them to earn an NHL roster spot? I doubt it given the depth in Buffalo, but these guys have the talent to force KA’s hand.

• Like (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/4861707/2023/09/14/sabres-jiri-kulich-rookie-camp/ 

Tidbits from the article.

On the first day of practice, Savoie and Benson were skating on a line with Filip Cederqvist, who is one of Buffalo’s bigger prospects. That’s going to be a fun line to watch.

Asked if he really has anything left to prove in the WHL, Savoie paused for a few seconds before saying there is always room to improve. It seems foolish that Savoie should have to go back to juniors, but maybe he’ll find a way to crack the NHL roster.

Last season, Aleksandr Kisakov did a lot of work behind the scenes. The Amerks sat him out for some games so he would have more time to dedicate to strength training. That was a smart approach. We often hear about how these young players need to add muscle, but it’s not easy to do that when you’re playing so many games and not getting the proper time to rest and recover.

Kisakov and Neuchev have so much offensive ability. Their challenge will be handling the physical grind of playing an AHL schedule, but their creativity and offensive vision should shine during this tournament.

The major concern with him (Novikov) in his draft year was that he wasn’t going to sign to play in North America. That’s the only reason he was available in the sixth round when the Sabres drafted him. Otherwise, he has the talent of a second- or third-round pick. 

Also - Metsa paired with Johnson, and made an instant impact for the Amerks in the playoffs last year.  Kozak centering the Neuchev and Kisakov. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Good play by Johnson and Novikov in this tourney and then in camp will make me feel much better about our D depth.  Johnson isn’t making the team in camp, but I agree he could end up playing some games in Buffalo this season. 

The big 3 forwards are also going to be interesting to watch.  Will this tournament be a spring board for one of them to earn an NHL roster spot? I doubt it given the depth in Buffalo, but these guys have the talent to force KA’s hand.

As you are pointing out, there are a number of intriguing player storylines to follow. I'm really excited about the season. My big wish is for the Sabres to start off well and get the fans back in the building and actively engaged. As indicated by the number of games on TV the Sabres are one of the most entertaining teams to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.