Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #93 Matt Savoie

dudacek

Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #93 Matt Savoie  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best reflects your expectations for Matt Savoie this year?

• He won’t make the big club and will be returned to junior before the season begins
    • He’ll make the team out of camp, but won’t stick around for the duration
    • He’ll make the team and have a season similar to what Peterka had last year
    • He’ll play well enough to be in the Calder Trophy conversation

Bringing this back as we emerge from a (too?) quiet summer to count down the final month until one of the more anticipated seasons sabre seasons in recent memory. Nine new names added to the stew as we run down the top 3 goalies, 8 defensemen and 17 forwards vying for roster slots. I will try to drop 2 a day if life allows. Gone from last year’s preseason roster are: Anderson, Lyubushkin, Fitzgerald, Pilut, Bjork, Hinostroza, Asplund and Sheahan.

There’s a bit of a misperception that the play of the Sabres 2022 #1 pick plateaued last year, and that his D+1 year was more or less a carbon copy of his draft year.
A more accurate interpretation is that Savoie started slow coming off a shoulder injury and finished playing the best hockey of his life. In his final 53 games (including playoffs) he ripped off 89 points – a 1.68 point/game pace that was significantly higher than the 1.38 of his draft year.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=227300

The Jack Quinn injury provides an opening, and he is already an NHL skater with good defensive awareness and a squat, 180-pound frame. Top 10 picks make the NHL in their D+2 with some regularity. It’s less regular for them to make an impact.

Savoie is clearly ready for a bigger challenge than what the WHL offers, but a pedestrian 2-game stint in the AHL semi-finals raised concerns as to whether he is physically ready for that challenge to be the NHL. Because of his age, he can't go to Rochester; it’s either the NHL or the WHL.

What do you expect from Savoie this year?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

I think that 2 game AHL stint has really tempered a lot of expectations.  That’s probably a good thing.  But it was only 2 games.  I’m very interested to see how his summer training went and how he looks first amongst his peers in the prospects challenge and then come training camp and preseason.  If he looks good there’s no harm in seeing a few nhl games.  Kid has been deemed an exceptional status player for a few years now. 

• Like (+1) 2

James Patrick said it was 50/50 that Savoie would make the NHL this year.

It has been said numerous times but he is a perfect example of a guy who would get more development from the AHL than having to go back to the WHL. If it wasn’t for Covid-19 he would have been eligible.

I think he sticks after camp to get a few games in and spend some time around the team. How he performs in those games will determine if he is ready for more responsibility. Quinn, Krebs and Peterka watched a lot of games early last season and worked their way in to full time jobs.

I think Savoie and Benson will be key players for Canada at the WJHC.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Derrico said:

I think that 2 game AHL stint has really tempered a lot of expectations.  That’s probably a good thing.  But it was only 2 games.  I’m very interested to see how his summer training went and how he looks first amongst his peers in the prospects challenge and then come training camp and preseason.  If he looks good there’s no harm in seeing a few nhl games.  Kid has been deemed an exceptional status player for a few years now. 

Great point.

Savoie’s D1 year was on par with Cozens, and better than Mittelstadt’s (if you step past the WJC hype) and each played in the NHL in their D2 years.

Im not sure he’s ready, and there’s no need to rush him, but there is a spot open and he will be in the running for it.

Kid is not going to learn anything new back in junior. I wish they could somehow find him another place to play.

Edited by dudacek

Again, I can't vote because I think the most likely option isn't there. He will be given a 2-5 game experience tour and sent back to jrs. I suppose option 2 covers that. 

I think Savoie and Benson doing 1 more year of jrs will be very good and prep both for the 2024 NHL season.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Again, I can't vote because I think the most likely option isn't there. He will be given a 2-5 game experience tour and sent back to jrs. I suppose option 2 covers that. 

I think Savoie and Benson doing 1 more year of jrs will be very good and prep both for the 2024 NHL season.

Yep, exactly. He gets 9-game (or less) try-out. With where the Sabres forwards are, he goes back as to not waste a year in a crowded forward situation. I voted "doesn't last the year" since that's the closest.

So between @dudacek's summary, Quinn's injury and the expected composition of the forward group, I'm starting to think Savoie has a pretty good chance to make the team and stay here.

IMHO, the idea that Quinn is going to rejoin the team and be effective around New Year's is highly optimistic.  This is a major injury.  I think the Sabres are going to err on the side of caution and that Quinn is going to miss most of the season.

If Quinn is out, the concern about having too many inexperienced players in the lineup is reduced, as that leaves only JJP and arguably Krebs (who has played 135 NHL games).

Skinner-TT-Tuch

Mitts-Cozens-JJP

XXX-Krebs-Greenway

Zemgus-Jost-KO

I think that spot with Krebs and Greenway will come down to Savoie, Rousek and Kulich.  DG loves offense, Savoie produces a ton of offense, and Krebs and Greenway need that element on their line. 

I'd much rather send him to the AHL, but as between Kulich and Savoie, the fact that Savoie can't go there might actually help Savoie stick.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

After doing enough of these, I’ve found it inevitable that some people will not see their vision perfectly reflected in the choices.

That’s why I’ve been going with “which best reflects” as the wording: the idea is that hopefully one option clearly better matches the poster’s take than the others and he or she is comfortable clicking that one.

And then, of course, the comment offers the chance to clarify.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the AHL exemption just given Shane Wright give us any reason to hope for the same for Savoie?

Wright is 4 days younger

Wright played 141 CHL games over 4 seasons. One of those was the COVID season where he played 0 games

Savoie played 149 CHL games over 4 seasons. Savoie played 34 game in the USHL during the COVID season.

You'd have to think the only reason not to exempt Savoie is to punish him for playing in the US during COVID

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Does the AHL exemption just given Shane Wright give us any reason to hope for the same for Savoie?

Wright is 4 days younger

Wright played 141 CHL games over 4 seasons. One of those was the COVID season where he played 0 games

Savoie played 149 CHL games over 4 seasons. Savoie played 34 game in the USHL during the COVID season.

You'd have to think the only reason not to exempt Savoie is to punish him for playing in the US during COVID

My post would need an exemption to come true because it's based on a full season in Rochester.

The rules could use some tweaking it seems.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.