Idle SabreSpacer speculation re: Patrick Kane

sweetlou

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Have we considered, considering the obvious and documented revamp of the Sabres social media presence since Adams took over, how likely it would be that the team isn’t very well aware of the conversation that’s taking place online, in general? Would seem an absurd suggestion that they weren’t. Have we considered Adams is simply most concerned with frequently ensuring there is smoke, regardless of the conversion to fire. 

How important is, “well, we tried” to to the narrative this organization is consciously shaping online? Under, again, the established context where we KNOW they care dearly about online narrative and presence?  

Dear Sabres Social Media team,

I wrote you but you still ain't calling.

I left my handle, my Facebook, and my SS account at the bottom.
I made two posts in autumn, you must not've got 'em
There probably was a problem at the server room or something
Sometimes I forget to hit send with I’m buzzing’
But anyways; ***** it, what's been up? Man, how's your lineup?

To be continued…probably not 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

You know what will make the Sabres attractive to FA's and veterans w/ NMC's?  Icing a competitive team that does some damage in the playoffs.

Tuch and Kane (should he sign) being ecstatic about coming home isn't going to move the needle much.

Kane getting the PP into relevance MIGHT help move that needle.  (Say might, because there are structural issues with the PP that a single additional good PP player won't necessarily fix.  And if he can't come back from the hip injury he definitely won't help there.)

This is fair in theory but Adams already put the “players who want to be here” lingo onto the chess board before that competitiveness was reached: he instituted it as a player/object supposedly worry of concern, supposedly functional to *building* that winning, right now 

it is now fair game 

He structured “players who want to be here” *specifically* as a means to an end, and not a symptom of achieving that end, first 

this is Adams game and we should play by the rules he himself instituted - I like arguing in this way because then if/when he fails, he’s failing by the internal principles of his own preached build. 

Edited by Thorny

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

In seriousness, are we thinking this is something the organization has already changed its mind on? Presumably they believed Savoie was the better prospect considering they selected him much higher, in the same draft 

You make a fair point. Common sense says the organization thought more highly of Savoie when they drafted him much higher than Kulich in the same draft. Does the organization still feel that way? I have no idea. I personally have always had a serious man crush on Kulich and considered him the better prospect. I may be proven wrong in time, we'll see. Given what he's done in the A as a teenager I think it's hard to argue against it. You may remember my trade proposals for Saros prior to the draft included Savoie, but Kulich was untouchable to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Dear Sabres Social Media team,

I wrote you but you still ain't calling.

I left my handle, my Facebook, and my SS account at the bottom.
I made two posts in autumn, you must not've got 'em
There probably was a problem at the server room or something
Sometimes I forget to hit send with I’m buzzing’
But anyways; ***** it, what's been up? Man, how's your lineup?

To be continued…probably not 

Hit me back, just to chat, truly yours, your biggest fan: this Sabres stan 

- - - 

How did you even put all that together so fast? One of the best posts I’ve seen on this site 

5 minutes ago, Hank said:

You make a fair point. Common sense says the organization thought more highly of Savoie when they drafted him much higher than Kulich in the same draft. Does the organization still feel that way? I have no idea. I personally have always had a serious man crush on Kulich and considered him the better prospect. I may be proven wrong in time, we'll see. Given what he's done in the A as a teenager I think it's hard to argue against it. You may remember my trade proposals for Saros prior to the draft included Savoie, but Kulich was untouchable to me. 

I do remember, your arguments always have an internal logical consistency

My take on Kane coming to Buffalo is more negative. I’m not attacking anyone else’s view it’s just that I’m more pessimistic about this.

He’s 34 and recently had what I can only guess is a major hip surgery. If he was 24 and had the same surgery I probably wouldn’t think twice about it.

As I previously mentioned, his guilt or innocence will cause division in the fan base. Whether it’s negligible is yet to be seen. I doubt it impacts the on ice product.

We literally went down this road a couple years ago with Staal and Hall. Well known player signs with an underperforming and dare I say uninspiring team. Fans (myself included) get excited. Turns out to be a waste of time. 

It’s already been 15 games. It will take a few more until he is in game shape and integrated with his linemates. It may take even more to find the right linemates. This in turn may have a ripple effect where established Sabres have to figure out how to play with new linemates. Just spit balling but I’d say by game 25 is when things will settle which leaves around 55-57 games left to fix the damage our record has caused.

The consensus is Kane is an upgrade on the PP. So this one guy is going to have such an impact on the PP we make the playoffs despite have a sub .500 record right now?

I guess my frustration is that this is the best answer the organization can come up with.

2 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

My take on Kane coming to Buffalo is more negative. I’m not attacking anyone else’s view it’s just that I’m more pessimistic about this.

He’s 34 and recently had what I can only guess is a major hip surgery. If he was 24 and had the same surgery I probably wouldn’t think twice about it.

As I previously mentioned, his guilt or innocence will cause division in the fan base. Whether it’s negligible is yet to be seen. I doubt it impacts the on ice product.

We literally went down this road a couple years ago with Staal and Hall. Well known player signs with an underperforming and dare I say uninspiring team. Fans (myself included) get excited. Turns out to be a waste of time. 

It’s already been 15 games. It will take a few more until he is in game shape and integrated with his linemates. It may take even more to find the right linemates. This in turn may have a ripple effect where established Sabres have to figure out how to play with new linemates. Just spit balling but I’d say by game 25 is when things will settle which leaves around 55-57 games left to fix the damage our record has caused.

The consensus is Kane is an upgrade on the PP. So this one guy is going to have such an impact on the PP we make the playoffs despite have a sub .500 record right now?

I guess my frustration is that this is the best answer the organization can come up with.

Expect the frustration should be, not that it's the best answer that management can come up with, but that it's appearing to be the best answer management can enact.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Expect the frustration should be, not that it's the best answer that management can come up with, but that it's appearing to be the best answer management can enact.

Is it the best answer for team success they can come up with or the best answer to keep fans engaged? I don’t know but I am worried it’s the latter. 

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Hit me back, just to chat, truly yours, your biggest fan: this Sabres stan 

- - - 

How did you even put all that together so fast? One of the best posts I’ve seen on this site 

I really don’t feel like working so I just put all that brain power to something useful. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Is it the best answer for team success they can come up with or the best answer to keep fans engaged? I don’t know but I am worried it’s the latter. 

Don't know the answer to that.

Personally, expect it's the former.  If it's the latter, then Adams is far more Machiavellian than he's received credit for.

45 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is fair in theory but Adams already put the “players who want to be here” lingo onto the chess board before that competitiveness was reached: he instituted it as a player/object supposedly worry of concern, supposedly functional to *building* that winning, right now 

it is now fair game 

He structured “players who want to be here” *specifically* as a means to an end, and not a symptom of achieving that end, first 

this is Adams game and we should play by the rules he himself instituted - I like arguing in this way because then if/when he fails, he’s failing by the internal principles of his own preached build. 

But, even at that metric, don't see how bringing Kane into the fold moves that "we desperately want to be Sabres" in any other players if the winning doesn't follow.

Getting to the playoffs and doing damage there will make a lot of guys say that Buffalo is a place to be.  Could also see where playing with Dahlin or Thompson could be an enticement (much like since Allen became Josh Allen, a lot of players have come knocking on the door at One Bills Drive); doubt that the opportunity to play with a (soon enough to be) 35 yo Patrick Kane would move that same needle.

38 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Are there any new smoke plumes billowing and visible, or are we all still idly speculating?

Note: I don't have a character set up for Kane. But my gut is really telling me it's just Greedo, hunting down Skinner for PP time.

We need to pull some Holdo maneuvers. Do some real damage.

15 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

If he's not even close to ready why The hell are they trying to get him .

They should have traded for a forward in the summer time when the Quinn news hit.

Just Ridiculous

Well, ya 

I’ve flip flopped in my mind on this so many times I’m likely concussed. I was all in up thread in my agreement on others posts without actually voicing it. Then I read the posts about the 3 or 4 other players who’ve had the procedure with little to no success. WTF. Might as well go hit my head against a wall. I s’pose I’ll take it as it comes and trust that KA and the braintrust know what the heck they’re doing. As you were.

3 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I’ve flip flopped in my mind on this so many times I’m likely concussed. I was all in up thread in my agreement on others posts without actually voicing it. Then I read the posts about the 3 or 4 other players who’ve had the procedure with little to no success. WTF. Might as well go hit my head against a wall. I s’pose I’ll take it as it comes and trust that KA and the braintrust know what the heck they’re doing. As you were.

I'm a flip flopper too. My latest flop has me thinking that with Kane putting more butts in seats, we'll get louder, more excited crowds. Better crowds means a better, more motivated team which for a long time has sucked at home.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I'm a flip flopper too. My latest flop has me thinking that with Kane putting more butts in seats, we'll get louder, more excited crowds. Better crowds means a better, more motivated team which for a long time has sucked at home.

The “excitement” by a few fans that Kane is playing for his hometown team will last about 15-20 games. At most. It will probably create 5-6 sellouts. And IF IF IF their record doesn’t get much better than when Kane wasn’t on the team, the losses will create less excitement and more aggravation. And therefore not as many butts in the seats as one may hope for. At least that’s how I see it.

The team hemorrhaging 4-5 goals a game won’t change with Kane on the team. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.