Sharks trade Karlsson to Penguins in 3 team trade with Montreal

matter2003

Upthread there was discussion about the Sabres rebuild taking 7-10 years and selling the fans a bill of goods indicating the the future is more important than the present.

Keep in mind that the Sabres have rebuilt TWICE.  First it was the Eichel/Reinhart/Risto rebuild, which failed, so there's now a 2nd rebuild, which is nearly complete.  The first rebuild was short-circuited by Tim Murray, who tried to accelerate the process too quickly by trading away too many young assets, and then by Jason Botterill who made poor coaching choices.  Adams seems to have the correct approach at this point.  A good coach is in place and a lot of young talent on the roster, with ton more in the pipeline.  I agree that the goaltending situation is precarious, but if Levi can be a good NHL goalie, and UPL can be an average NHL goalie, neither of which are crazy notions, the team should be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Better to receive a first round pick this year, than pay a first to take Karlsson two years from now? Maybe Karlsson is Chara and lives up to the length of contract but unlikely. The cap dump salaries are off the books by 2025, which probably aligns with their plans for trying to complete again.  

Still would have preferred a young prospect at least in that deal, But it shouldn't come from Montreal and Pens don't have anything good.   Still feel like SJS got fleeced in this one.   And they retain 1.5 mill next 4 years too.

43 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Upthread there was discussion about the Sabres rebuild taking 7-10 years and selling the fans a bill of goods indicating the the future is more important than the present.

Keep in mind that the Sabres have rebuilt TWICE.  First it was the Eichel/Reinhart/Risto rebuild, which failed, so there's now a 2nd rebuild, which is nearly complete.  The first rebuild was short-circuited by Tim Murray, who tried to accelerate the process too quickly by trading away too many young assets, and then by Jason Botterill who made poor coaching choices.  Adams seems to have the correct approach at this point.  A good coach is in place and a lot of young talent on the roster, with ton more in the pipeline.  I agree that the goaltending situation is precarious, but if Levi can be a good NHL goalie, and UPL can be an average NHL goalie, neither of which are crazy notions, the team should be fine.

I don’t think Tim Murray tried to accelerate the process “too quickly”, he simply tried to accelerate the process.

and did it poorly. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

I still like the ROR deal 

All anyone ever needs to see to understand why Murray failed is right here:

Andrej Mezaros

Andre Benoit

Tyson Strachan

Carlo Colaiacovo

Cody Franson

Justin Falk

Dmitry Kulikov

Taylor Fedun

Im willing to give him a pass on Gorges and Bogosian, and maybe even to an extent with Kilikov. There were way too many clearance sale defenseman all over his rosters. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, shrader said:

All anyone ever needs to see to understand why Murray failed is right here:

Andrej Mezaros

Andre Benoit

Tyson Strachan

Carlo Colaiacovo

Cody Franson

Justin Falk

Dmitry Kulikov

Taylor Fedun

Im willing to give him a pass on Gorges and Bogosian, and maybe even to an extent with Kilikov. There were way too many clearance sale defenseman all over his rosters. 

Balls

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I agree with most of this. The only part I do not is the idea that UPL can be an average goalie. I have seen next to nothing to convince me he is anything but a subpar backup. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

And we loved it. Until we didn't.

Yes.  Fans love splashy moves, and they hate losing.  Does that mean we are dumb, or weak-minded, or morally compromised?  Or just that GMTM was accountable to us and to his boss for the performance of the team, which stunk?

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Yes.  Fans love splashy moves, and they hate losing.  Does that mean we are dumb, or weak-minded, or morally compromised?  Or just that GMTM was accountable to us and to his boss for the performance of the team, which stunk?

Yes, and yes. 

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Nah. There’s nothing wrong with fans liking splashy moves and hoping their GM has the aptitude to pull them off. Splashy need not have a negative connotation 

There are a multitude of proven, viable strategies. And also plenty of examples of those strategies being bastardized 

all comes down to who the captain of the enterprise is, who’s steering the ship. At the end of the day, the fans have tried asking and hoping for every possible scenario under the sun for over a decade and none have panned out, what we want doesn’t make a difference because we don’t make the decisions. We are the consumer: it’s up to the franchise, and only the franchise, to provide a product worth our time and energy  

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.