Dahlin or Power, Who Will Have The Better Career?

bob_sauve28

After Both Their Careers Are Over, Who Will Be Considered The Better Player? Dahlin or Power?   

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be better?

• Owen
    • Rasmus

Dahlin has been in the League already 5 years. Last two Seasons have squelched the move Dahlin to Winger calls or he is a bust. Played 355 games already and is 23. Has good size, fighter meaning he doesn't back down. When Healthy he is a Norris Candidate every year. Probably in the Top two as Offensive Defensiveman. 

Power in his first full year has played WAY better than Dahin in his 1st full year. Man is HUGE, has some grit but still is 3 years younger than Dahlin. Power already is a +13 point differential, Dahlin for the 1st time hit + differential at 12.

Need another year to truly analysis Power vs Dahlin. That said Power is already ahead in projection from 1st year and beyond. Plus player who found scoring later in year. He was on the 2nd pairing and did this. He is 6-6, will get bigger and better defensively and has length to do what Tage does offensively. Power will not be real flashy like Dahlin and Dahlin will never be as good defensively as Power.

That said Power is the better Defensiveman, he will have 4 more better years than Dahlin if Healthy just based on age, Dahlin had a slow start. Power will be a 50-70 point guy by 23 easily. Dahlin may go to 100+.

Glad we have BOTH and hopefully the next 10+ years

My choice is Power, he came out of the gate flying and will project better in his first 5 years, we don't know this mans ceiling yet either, still too young to evaluate high end.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

I think Dahlin was better at 18 than Power was at 20.

I think Power was better at 20 than Dahlin was at 21.

I think Dahlin is in the Norris conversation and will be for most of the next 8 years.

I think Power needs to get to that level before this becomes a real conversation.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Better is in the eye of the beholder. If you want to judge on best hair, fine. 

It's just that they are very different players so their contribution down the line will be different. 

Power imo will eventually be better at being a defenseman, but Dahlin will have higher scoring stats.

54 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't see Power having the O potential that Dahlin has already displayed.  Nothing wrong with having a tandem like Pronger (Power) and Niedermayer (Dahlin).

Don't see Power being Pronger. I'd say more Pietrangelo. 

Its hard to put into exact words how I feel about this topic.

I already said Dahlin, but to explain why...

-I think Dahlin is a top 5 in the league guy, someone who every year should be in the Norris converstation going forward.

-Power, more of a definite first pair talent/guy, someone who can control his part of the ice when out there but not control the entire game like Dahlin can.

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's just that they are very different players so their contribution down the line will be different. 

Power imo will eventually be better at being a defenseman, but Dahlin will have higher scoring stats.

Don't see Power being Pronger. I'd say more Pietrangelo. 

This is exactly why Dahlin will always have competition as our “best” d-man, in perception, and it’s the same sort of thinking that had people saying absurdly that Samuelsson, somehow, was our best defensive D last year. Because he provided no offense at all his D must have been otherworldly and Dahlin’s D must lack because he’s great on O. It’s all utterly erroneous. Dahlin was *head and shoulders* our best at ACTUAL d last year (check the statistics if you care) and Power has a HELL of a ways to go to match Dahlin there. Frankly, we may never even get to the spot where we are comparing their offense 

Dahlin was better defensively at 18 on a terrible team after COMING OVER FROM EUROPE than home grown Canadian Power (who I love as a player) was at TWENTY on a much better team. This is insane. These players are worlds apart because Dahlin is everything they said he was. 

Looks like Power will be everything they said, too. But that’s kind of my point. 

Edited by Thorny

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is exactly why Dahlin will always have competition as our “best” d-man, in perception, and it’s the same sort of thinking that had people saying absurdly that Samuelsson, somehow, was our best defensive D last year. Because he provided no offense at all his D must have been otherworldly and Dahlin’s D must lack because he’s great on O. It’s all utterly erroneous. Dahlin was *head and shoulders* our best at ACTUAL d last year (check the statistics if you care) and Power has a HELL of a ways to go to match Dahlin there. Frankly, we may never even get to the spot where we are comparing their offense 

Dahlin was better defensively at 18 on a terrible team after COMING OVER FROM EUROPE than home grown Canadian Power (who I love as a player) was at TWENTY on a much better team. This is insane. These players are worlds apart because Dahlin is everything they said he was. 

Looks like Power will be everything they said, too. But that’s kind of my point. 

Totally agree that Dahlin is a great defender. But I disagree Owen won't ever be as good offensivly as Rasmus. 

Rasmus is way ahead in physical play, now. Be interesting to see how Owen progresses there. 

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Totally agree that Dahlin is a great defender. But I disagree Owen won't ever be as good offensivly as Rasmus. 

Rasmus is way ahead in physical play, now. Be interesting to see how Owen progresses there. 

You really think he can match Dahlin offensively one day? I can’t see it but I’d certainly take it

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

I think there are many fans around the league - and even here - who have no idea how good Dahlin was defensively last year.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

You really think he can match Dahlin offensively one day? I can’t see it but I’d certainly take it

I don’t either, but I can see a world where Power could one day surpass Dahlin in hockey IQ and Dahlin currently has the best IQ on the Sabres, and among the best on the franchise of all time.

The most impressive thing about Power is the way he handles the geometry of the game. He uses that enormous frame and sub-zero panic threshold to buy an extra half-second of time, or create an extra foot of space that nobody else has and then exploits it to perfection.

Even at 20 he can play a game like he’s a 30-year-old playing against 10-year-olds. People compared Dahlin to Lidstrom because they’re Swedes, but Ras doesn’t really play like Niklas at all; he’s smart, but his calling cards are skill and compete. People see Power’s size and they expect him to overpower you, but he is like Lidstrom in that he knows what you’re going to do before you do and you just can’t touch him.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.