How many days until the Sabres season

Crusader1969

7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

IMG_0208.jpeg.8fe215462b3364078aace0ecbc1e7db0.jpeg more days !!

Interesting that the first player to wear 13 for the Sabres is Jim Schoenfeld when he comes back to the Sabres for his final season in 84-85.  However, Housley already has his familiar #6.  Not sure why he chose 13 

the number is not worn again until the early 90s.  

Khmylev (pictured) plays 4 seasons with the Sabres starting in 1992 

260 games plus 

Edited by Crusader1969

4 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Interesting that the first player to wear 13 for the Sabres is Jim Schoenfeld when he comes back to the Sabres for his final season in 84-85.  However, Housley already has his familiar #6.  Not sure why he chose 13 

260 games plus 

He misssed the net a lot.

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

260 games plus 

I remember someone yelling out The Yurinator as he stepped onto the ice at the Aud. It was one of those spit your beer out moments.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Could 13 be the least popular number in the NHL.  Even going way back to the 6 and 12 team league, I just don't recall many players choosing 13.  

Back in the day, no one wore 13 because it was considered bad luck.  It is the same reason that the 13th floor of City Hall is empty.

• Agree 2

Oct 2nd and there are now 

IMG_0213.jpeg.bb257c688c25d1f6a11182cbc441aa7a.jpeg more days until the Sabres season

2nd in all time games played over 14 season with the Sabres   6th all time in goals scored, 3rd in assists, leader of SH goals, all time leader in plus minus and 3rd in even strength goals 

should the team consider his name and number to the rafters? 

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

IMG_0213.jpeg.bb257c688c25d1f6a11182cbc441aa7a.jpeg more days until the Sabres season

2nd in all time games played over 14 season with the Sabres   6th all time in goals scored, 3rd in assists, leader of SH goals, all time leader in plus minus and 3rd in even strength goals 

NO. Stop retiring numbers of players who haven’t won anything. Gil and Dom are one thing, but our rafters are embarrassing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

It should have stopped at 11, 39…and maybe a special case for 2.  It has become a joke.  

See I disagree… The French connection and Hasek and now RJ. Full stop.

I think Tim Horton should not be in the  rafters. He played for the Sabres for such a brief moment. didn’t do a whole hell of a lot that made him “rafter worthy” for the Sabres. I understand he lost his life as a Sabre,  and that of course is a tragedy. But IMO not “rafter worthy” for Buffalo. 

37 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

It should have stopped at 11, 39…and maybe a special case for 2.  It has become a joke.  

Would include 16 in there as well.  It's not his fault he was tiny in an era that goonish hockey still was a huge part of the game.  He was truly an amazing talent and a true treat to watch.  There's a reason he was the one highly skilled skater that wasn't ushered out the door when Muckler was told to both cut payroll and put a better team on the ice.

9 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Rammer!

Yes — retire it.  And they shoulda hired him after they stupidly fired Lindy. 

16 hours ago, Zamboni said:

See I disagree… The French connection and Hasek and now RJ. Full stop.

I think Tim Horton should not be in the  rafters. He played for the Sabres for such a brief moment. didn’t do a whole hell of a lot that made him “rafter worthy” for the Sabres. I understand he lost his life as a Sabre,  and that of course is a tragedy. But IMO not “rafter worthy” for Buffalo. 

The players of those teams would disagree.  I called Jim Schoenfeld on with Paul Maguire on the Budweiser Sports Line and asked what Tim Horton's acquisition and death meant to the team.  He choked up and then gave a very passionate explanation on how that team grew up because of Horton and Crozier.  I remember him saying that after he died, "we would look down the bench for help from Timmy, but he wasn't there."

I also remember Schoenfeld and others weeping openly during the moment of silence after his death.

• Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.