Patrice Bergeron retires

LGR4GM

On 7/25/2023 at 12:45 PM, Buffalonill said:

Yeah I would rather trade mitts out west.

He be a buffalo killer 

I would not trade Mitts this season, let see if the step he took is a real one.   We are going going to need him. 

3 hours ago, Curt said:

With Bergeron and Krejci gone, how much are we thinking that the Bruins crater next season?

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Their floor is wild card team until they show me otherwise 

18 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I'd say about 20 wins. Some on the surface regression and some on the tower from losing two top centers and replacing them with 3s.

I'll believe it when I see it. For the past 5 years, they've had a Mark Twain like recovery.

8 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I remember watching this and looking at expression on PB's face after they gave up goal thinking he was feeling his age. 

Had the same thought as he vainly tried to skate down Cozens and Dylan just kept widening the gap. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I'll believe it when I see it. For the past 5 years, they've had a Mark Twain like recovery.

I don’t know what a Mark Twain like recovery is.

Bruins have recovered from what the past 5 years?  Only big change for them in that time was Chara leaving.

The thing that makes the current Boston team different than their past 15 years is that they have always had good players under 25 coming through their team to replenish, and they simply don’t have that right now.  There is no help coming up.

Do you honestly thing they are just going to keep chugging along, winning 50 games a year?  Go look at their actual team.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

Bruins have recovered from what the past 5 years?  Only big change for them in that time was Chara leaving.

The thing that makes the current Boston team different than their past 15 years is that they have always had good players under 25 coming through their team to replenish, and they simply don’t have that right now.  There is no help coming up.

Do you honestly thing they are just going to keep chugging along, winning 50 games a year?  Go look at their actual team.

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"-Mark Twain

We have been hearing about how the Bruins were going to tail off for a while, now: how old they were, their bad draft, etc.

Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

18 minutes ago, SwampD said:

We have been hearing about how the Bruins were going to tail off for a while, now: how old they were, their bad draft, etc.

I mean I’m with you, but their top 3 centres are Zacha, Coyle and Geekie, and Van Rymsdyk, Greer, Brown, Boqvist, Megna and Lucic will be regulars up front.

That looks more like Eakin, Bjork, Caggiula, Hayden, and Jankowski era Sabres than a contender.

If they chalk up 50 wins with those forwards, we’ve got to be looking past Twain and into the possibility of a Daniel Webster type deal somewhere.

36 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I might have misunderstood why you quoted me but that's what I'm saying too. I will assume they are capable of making the playoffs at the very least, until they start missing them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I mean I’m with you, but their top 3 centres are Zacha, Coyle and Geekie, and Van Rymsdyk, Greer, Brown, Boqvist, Megna and Lucic will be regulars up front.

That looks more like Eakin, Bjork, Caggiula, Hayden, and Jankowski era Sabres than a contender.

If they chalk up 50 wins with those forwards, we’ve got to be looking past Twain and into the possibility of a Daniel Webster type deal somewhere.

I really hope you are all right. I'm not saying they are going to win 50 games, but they could still finish ahead of a Sabres team that other than TT, has a spine of a bunch of unproven (or old) guys.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

While their forward group is nowhere near frightening anymore, their defense and goaltending are still high end, and they still have good coaching/a strong defensive system. I’d expect a team somewhere similar to the Kraken last season. 

52 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

While their forward group is nowhere near frightening anymore, their defense and goaltending are still high end, and they still have good coaching/a strong defensive system. I’d expect a team somewhere similar to the Kraken last season. 

Oh I agree, you can’t count them out and they’ve got such a head start based on last year.

But that is not last year’s team. They’ve lost 40% of their roster and replaced them with fringe guys. As I just posted in the other thread, objectively that is the worst group of forwards in the division.

Edited by dudacek

I think his loss will be the key loss that causes the Bruins to be a borderline playoff team, and maybe on the wrong side of that border.

I know, I know, people say that every year, including myself.   But if you think of all the Bruins teams over the past decade that were better than we all thought...and since they won the cup in the 2010-2011 season they have the MOST wins of any team in the NHL (585 wins). 3 presidents trophies. But, why was that?   They have had 2 GM's and 3 coaches. Chara came and went. Tuuka Rask was a great goalie who came and went.  Same with Tim Thomas.  You know who some of the players with the most games played in that era were? In the top 20 games played for the Bruins over that time? Torey Krug. Brandon Carlo. Adam McQuad. Dennis Seidenberg. Greg Campbell. Chris Kelly. Sean Kuraly?  Dan Paille.  So what is my point?

Kreiji, Marchand, and Bergeron CARRIED that team for over a decade.  They probably carried the Bruins team more than any of us realize when you look at who came and went on that Roster.  They are the top 3 in games played, 3 of the top 4 in goals scored.  THEY are what this team was about the past decade.  Not much of a coincidence that with Kreiji playing and the 'band being back together' this year, throw in a dash of Pastrnak and they had the year they had.

Well, Bergeron is gong. Kreiji looks like he's gone too.  Marchand is the only of those 3 left and last year he started showing the first signs of slowing down (he is 35 now).  This team never took a long term and/or huge step back as long as those 3 guys were there. With 2 of them gone and the other aging, THIS is the year I think you see them slide.  Maybe not out of the playoffs totally, but if they miss the playoffs I won't be surprised at all.

I too live near Boston. Bergeron is a class act who was easy to cheer for, despite being on the Bruins. The reports of the Bruins demise are greatly exhaggerated. Pastrnak is a name I've hardly seen on this thread. He had 113 points last year and shows no signs of slowing down. But now their "Perfection LIne" (Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak) is now only 2/3 intact. Bergy will be missed. Krejci is gone too. Their top two centers are now Zacha and Coyle, barring future moves. But other losses like Hall, Bertuzzi and Foligno won't really hurt. They were temporary band-aids anyway. Bottom line, their defense and goalies are elite, their forwards will need a bit of a rebuild. I still see them making the playoffs.

On 7/26/2023 at 4:43 PM, Curt said:

I must have some form of ptsd when it comes to the chowdaheads. 

I can just never feel comfortable in their demise.

I am looking forward to the day though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.