TBN: 'Glaring roster questions'

PASabreFan

I like Lance well enough, but it’s difficult to take him seriously when he writes this in response to a question about how the Sabres will compensate for Quinn’s injury.

image.thumb.png.ad4b765033fa51a2215e968bb0f6f6d3.png

Brett Murray, for one, has absolutely zero bearing on how the Sabres will fill the void left by Quinn’s injury.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I like Lance well enough, but it’s difficult to take him seriously when he writes this in response to a question about how the Sabres will compensate for Quinn’s injury.

Brett Murray, for one, has absolutely zero bearing on how the Sabres will fill the void left by Quinn’s injury.

Like you I find Lance very good but he has always exaggerated the value of marginal AHL players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

My concern is he's just parroting what he's heard. He's a solid company man.

The more interesting issue I see is that the name “Murray” can be feasibly slid in there by Lance because of the fact the names he’s competing with, aside from Olofsson, have about as much NHL experience as he does. 

Forwards honestly seem a bit thin. Like butter, scraped over too much bread 

If you're looking for hockey coverage in TBN, just stop.  They gave the reins to Lysowski well before he was ready, and Harrington is Harrington. 

Bill Hoppe is the better local paper guy, and then there are Yerdon, Graham, etc.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

All the comments above mine are correct, but Lance is correct too - everyone of these guys will be competing for a spot in training camp. Murray, Weissbach, and Biro are very much long shots. 

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If you're looking for hockey coverage in TBN

I am not. I do stumble across it occasionally.

I rely on this board for coverage and analysis.

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

All the comments above mine are correct, but Lance is correct too - everyone of these guys will be competing for a spot in training camp. Murray, Weissbach, and Biro are very much long shots. 

My issue was that he was noting those players in answering how the team would compensate for the loss of Quinn.

Lance has never said anything interesting. It's like he gets paid to say, "Kevyn is looking but won't overpay. As such, I expect [mediocre current veteran who didn't do the job well enough the previous season and is the reason we are talking about the position in the first place] and [unremarkable prospect] to compete for the spot." And to say it with cool, rational tones, to pass it off as smart and pragmatic 

"There really is just no other way that makes sense, there never has been, 12 year drought was just programmed into the determinism of the universe"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Murray looked like an NHLer in his 20ish game stint with the Sabres last time he got a call up.  His points from last year were about the same as Rousek's in the AHL.. and people believe Rousek to be ready.  He had 1 less goal than Kulich.  

I'm not saying Brett Murray is going to be Quinn's replacement, but it's not super crazy to think he is in the running.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The media is giving opinions/roster projections before camp even begins for the Sabres and Bills. No issues. 

Some wish to sell their "knowledge" of the situations in the form of absolutes/inside information before anything even starts. 

One has to take those articles at face value. It's a guess. The coaches don't give a ***** what they say. 

Click bait or reader bait if they actually print the paper.

The only glaring roster question is goaler.

Dude just lists all the names of players in the organization that may take Quinn's spot.  The actual list is maybe a player or two long.  That's it.  Why the drama.  Sports 'media' loves drama so much they create it when there is none.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/23/2023 at 7:46 PM, GoPuckYourself said:

The more breaking news is who knew the Buffalo News was still around? Crazy to think it's still around and people are actually buying it.

You can say that about almost every newspaper in almost every city. 

Edited by Pimlach

On 7/22/2023 at 8:24 PM, That Aud Smell said:

I am not. I do stumble across it occasionally.

I rely on this board for coverage and analysis.

My issue was that he was noting those players in answering how the team would compensate for the loss of Quinn.

While none of those players are remotely likely to take Quinn’s spot in the lineup, they will be the ones competing for his roster spot. It’ll most likely be everybody 5/6 forward and below shifting up a spot, with these players competing for the 12th or 13th forward spot.

2 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

While none of those players are remotely likely to take Quinn’s spot in the lineup, they will be the ones competing for his roster spot. It’ll most likely be everybody 5/6 forward and below shifting up a spot, with these players competing for the 12th or 13th forward spot.

I'm (risking) being a pedantic as#hole, but sometimes the shoe fits so I wear it. Lance wrote that the Sabres would be looking at Murray, among other fringe forwards, in order to fill the void left by Quinn. If he'd written that Quinn's absence opens up a roster spot for a fringe forward to claim - as you suggest - I would have glossed right over the statement of an obvious truth.

35 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

We've mostly focused on Olofsson, but upon further reflection, the guy with the biggest opportunity here is Quinn's's sidekick, Peterka.

As you say, it won't be the 13th forward getting thrust into the 6th forward slot, it will be players bumping up a slot throughout the lineup.

Tage/Tuch/Skinner/Cozens/Mitts will continue to get the best offensive opportunities and linemates, the question is who will be joining them and benefitting from their skills and PP time.

Given his skillset, work ethic and trajectory, Peterka is the player most likely to grab that spot and run with it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.