OT: Is it time for a new pizza thread?

JoeSchmoe

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Anyone ever buy an OONI(sp) pizza oven. Or something similar? Any results? I was looking to add one to the collection to make brick oven pizzas at home. 

They work well if your goal is Neapolitan style.  There is a learning curve.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Weave said:

They work well if your goal is Neapolitan style.  There is a learning curve.

I figured it would only work well for the thinner style brick oven pizza. I like to make my own dough and sauce, etc. But it's 600 bucks for the 16 inch oven and I'm not sure I can justify that 

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I have a friend who bought one 3 years ago. Loves it. Research it well. 

Same, and my friend owns a pizzeria for whatever that’s worth. Loves his oven.

7 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I figured it would only work well for the thinner style brick oven pizza. I like to make my own dough and sauce, etc. But it's 600 bucks for the 16 inch oven and I'm not sure I can justify that 

About 30 pizzas minus your cost of ingredients sounds about right. Probably add 5 more till you figure it out.

I'm not picky with my pizza.  I'll eat frozen pizza and like it (sometimes a lot).  We have a cheap, amazon bought Betty Crocker Pizza maker (its basically a George foreman grill you put a small or medium pizza in) and it works fine for me.  Places that offer "brick oven" pizza? Most of the time I hate it...thin burnt crust to me.  Today and tomorrow 7-11 is offering Buy one, get one free on their pizzas (bake at home or they put it in there '2 minute' oven in the stores to cook). I'll be getting 2 of them tomorrow.  More often than not when we do try pizza from a local place, its different each time, it has too much sauce or too little sauce. Sometimes its burnt, sometimes it isn't.  I usually end up saying its simply not worth the $20+ for a large and end up going back to my decent, consistent frozen pizza, or "under $10 large" from Tops or $7 for 2 mediums with jalapenos and one other toping from Dominos.

Edited by mjd1001

10 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Anyone ever buy an OONI(sp) pizza oven. Or something similar? Any results? I was looking to add one to the collection to make brick oven pizzas at home. 

My friend has one. The pizza is really tasty, but you have to make them extremely small because if the crust gets too close to the edge of the oven it'll burn too fast compared to the middle of the pizza.

It's a lot of work and high care due to the high temps involved. Lose sight of what you're doing for 20 seconds and you can ruin the pizza.

By the time he makes enough pizza to feed say 6 people, the first ones are definitely cold.  I'm not sure if there's a bigger model than my friends. His does look a lot bigger than the actual size of pizza he makes.

4 out of 5 times eating pizza, I'll take a traditional WNY pizza over the Napoli style though. Once in a while the "date night pizza" as my brother calls it is good for a change.

Jays Artisan Pizzeria on Delaware Rd in the Village of Kenmore.  

Great area and great, but different, pizza in Buffalo. 

This is not typical cup and char Buffalo pepperoni pizza. This restaurant has received national acclaim for their pizza. They make two styles and each style can be ordered multiple ways.  The first style is a great Neapolitan style.  The second is a Detroit square pizza style that is amazing.  

They make the dough for the Detroit style before they open.  When the run out it’s done for that day.  If you want a “square” you get there early, they always run out. 

There are several nice shops and bars in the area near Jays. 

34 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Jays Artisan Pizzeria on Delaware Rd in the Village of Kenmore.  

Great area and great, but different, pizza in Buffalo. 

This is not typical cup and char Buffalo pepperoni pizza. This restaurant has received national acclaim for their pizza. They make two styles and each style can be ordered multiple ways.  The first style is a great Neapolitan style.  The second is a Detroit square pizza style that is amazing.  

They make the dough for the Detroit style before they open.  When the run out it’s done for that day.  If you want a “square” you get there early, they always run out. 

There are several nice shops and bars in the area near Jays. 

We don’t make pizza at home often anymore.  But when we do, majority of time it is Detroit style. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm not picky with my pizza.  I'll eat frozen pizza and like it (sometimes a lot).  We have a cheap, amazon bought Betty Crocker Pizza maker (its basically a George foreman grill you put a small or medium pizza in) and it works fine for me.  Places that offer "brick oven" pizza? Most of the time I hate it...thin burnt crust to me.  Today and tomorrow 7-11 is offering Buy one, get one free on their pizzas (bake at home or they put it in there '2 minute' oven in the stores to cook). I'll be getting 2 of them tomorrow.  More often than not when we do try pizza from a local place, its different each time, it has too much sauce or too little sauce. Sometimes its burnt, sometimes it isn't.  I usually end up saying its simply not worth the $20+ for a large and end up going back to my decent, consistent frozen pizza, or "under $10 large" from Tops or $7 for 2 mediums with jalapenos and one other toping from Dominos.

I actually don't hate the 7-11 pizza, when I'm up north working they're open 24 hours and I'm in for a whole pie. 

I left my sister's wedding yesterday midway during the reception, because A, she had served pumpkin spice cake and I hate all things pumpkin and B. I wanted a frozen pizza. 

So the Mrs and I drove to Ingles and bought a chocolate and Vanilla checkered cake and a Red Baron pizza, went back to the guesthouse cooked it up and devoured it. 

It's her 2nd wedding, so I'm allowed to leave early 😂😂

• Like (+1) 1

Just had Jay's pizza. Three of them to be exact: a Neapolitan cheese and pepperoni, their 'Nduja, and the Detroit cheese and pepperoni. 

I'm really disappointed because the two Neapolitans don't match the hype and the Detroit is criminally small. For $60 I could have got 2x more pizza that is more tasty and/or more interesting.

This is not to say they were bad or poorly executed pizzas. They're okay. The Detroit, actually, is quite good but waaaaaaayyy overpriced for what you get.

The Neapolitan crust is a let down, especially considering the narrative behind it. The physical aspects of it are fine: fluffy, not thick and not thin, chars okay - but it lacks character, has no flavor and is too chewy. For the price and hype it is totally a let down.

They upcharge for the 'Nduja but barely provide any meat; a very cheap presentation here masquerading as a culinary artistic dollup.

If you like overpaying for small artisan pizzas that are marginally interesting then Jay's is worth the try. If you can wait until the hype train passes by and the prices come down to Earth then I recommend waiting until then.

And whichever organization ranked them eighth or 13th in the USA, you can take their rankings and toss them in the big pile of worthless reviews and lists.

57 minutes ago, ... said:

Just had Jay's pizza. Three of them to be exact: a Neapolitan cheese and pepperoni, their 'Nduja, and the Detroit cheese and pepperoni. 

I'm really disappointed because the two Neapolitans don't match the hype and the Detroit is criminally small. For $60 I could have got 2x more pizza that is more tasty and/or more interesting.

This is not to say they were bad or poorly executed pizzas. They're okay. The Detroit, actually, is quite good but waaaaaaayyy overpriced for what you get.

The Neapolitan crust is a let down, especially considering the narrative behind it. The physical aspects of it are fine: fluffy, not thick and not thin, chars okay - but it lacks character, has no flavor and is too chewy. For the price and hype it is totally a let down.

They upcharge for the 'Nduja but barely provide any meat; a very cheap presentation here masquerading as a culinary artistic dollup.

If you like overpaying for small artisan pizzas that are marginally interesting then Jay's is worth the try. If you can wait until the hype train passes by and the prices come down to Earth then I recommend waiting until then.

And whichever organization ranked them eighth or 13th in the USA, you can take their rankings and toss them in the big pile of worthless reviews and lists.

I’m glad some like Jays. And that’s fine for them. Keep enjoying that place 👍🏼

I personally think Jays is obnoxiously overrated and keeps getting mentioned in “National or state lists” because the writers are f***ing lazy and don’t try other pizzerias in the area. They just leech off of what other writers have said. It’s pathetic. There better pizzas in the area, but you wouldn’t know it if you relied on “best pizza in the state/country lists”. 

On 11/1/2023 at 6:56 PM, ... said:

Lists are stupid. Nothing but a bunch of click bait. In the journalism profession, they call them listicles and they are by all means the laziest of lazy journalism.

Reasons:

1. People are for some reason drawn to these lists... Likely to see if their favourite jaunt is on there. Or music lists where their favourite song is on there.

2. It's a subjective... Research what a bunch of other people say and you don't even need to go further. A matter of taste. Similar to music lists.

3. Lists aren't really need alot of good grammar because it's not for the high fallutin readers.

4. In my google feed, I block any websites that are usually just a bunch of listicle garbage. Sick of reading about the best 10 days trips from Southern Ontario.

Anyhow, that's how I feel about listicles... Don't even bother.

18 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Lists are stupid. Nothing but a bunch of click bait. In the journalism profession, they call them listicles and they are by all means the laziest of lazy journalism.

Reasons:

1. People are for some reason drawn to these lists... Likely to see if their favourite jaunt is on there. Or music lists where their favourite song is on there.

2. It's a subjective... Research what a bunch of other people say and you don't even need to go further. A matter of taste. Similar to music lists.

3. Lists aren't really need alot of good grammar because it's not for the high fallutin readers.

4. In my google feed, I block any websites that are usually just a bunch of listicle garbage. Sick of reading about the best 10 days trips from Southern Ontario.

Best of Lists and Power Rankings; 2 items that the authors deserve to end up on their own plane of h-e-double-hockey sticks when they eventually meet their demise.

But, but, WE'RE the experts.  You know it because we told you so.  So there.

19 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Reasons:

Name the ten best and worst lists you ever read. 😬

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.