Starting goaltending: what do we really think about the situation in the crease?

dudacek

Goaltending  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Levi is capable of delivering 50+ games of good goaltending this year?

2. 2. Do you want to add a goalie capable of delivering 50+ games of good goaltending this year?

3. 3. How much are you willing to to invest in a trade for a new starting-calibre goalkeeper?

• Very little: a 3rd round or less equivalent value
    • A bit: maybe a 2nd-rounder
    • A fair amount: next year’s 1st and 2nd or prospects/players of similar value
    • A lot: for the right guy, a package that includes one of our top 3 prospects

What’s interesting is the post poll. Just over half think Levi is capable of 50 games but well over half think we need to go out and get a new goalie. I see this as people believe Levi could get it done but should have an experienced mentor to show him how to get it done. I agree. 

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Even if Levi gets 15 SO's the nhl will make sure connor bedard wins it to Market the new superstar in America 

I want to believe that NHL awards are fair and unbiased. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m about to miss my unicorn to take me back to the land of rainbows and butterflies.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

I want to believe that NHL awards are fair and unbiased. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m about to miss my unicorn to take me back to the land of rainbows and butterflies.

Wait for me!

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He will never win vezina with Connor Bedard as a rookie I'm sorry.

It's all about money 

And how does the NHL dictate who wins the Vezina?

Bribing the voters or blackmailing them?

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Even if Levi gets 15 SO's the nhl will make sure connor bedard wins it to Market the new superstar in America 

I wonder if Bedard has a Jack Hughes like rookie season. Better than Hughes but his lack of strength will be a factor at the NHL level even with all his gifts. Not saying he won't be amazing, just that year 1 might be more mortal. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/29/2023 at 8:51 AM, dudacek said:

When, if given the choice between the developing player and the mediocre veteran, have Adams and Granato not gone with the developing player?

Until we see them behave differently, it is hard for me not to perceive UPL versus Comrie as no different than Peterka versus Hinostroza.

In general, your point that prospects are given preference over veterans is clearly evident based on the recent history. However, I think that the GM and staff have come to the recognition that this team is at a stage where it should not only be competing for a playoff spot but is a playoff caliber of team. If Comrie decisively out performs UPL in camp and in preseason, I see him winning the backup role. And if UPL decisively, or even is comparable, in his competition with Comrie in camp, I see him winning the backup role. 

From a broad organizational overview, this franchise has gone beyond the team building and player development stage to the team competing against the best teams in the league. Player growth is important but now winning is the priority. 

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You're trying too hard. He insulted... An outlet?

There is only a small handful of Sabres publications who get into a projected backup goalie level of detail, they are generally small shops and I'd guess they all follow each other on twitter.  Those writers are going to see MH's tweet, know that he's issued yet another snide putdown towards them from his TBN pedastal and think to themselves, again, "what a DB Harrington is."

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

There is only a small handful of Sabres publications who get into a projected backup goalie level of detail, they are generally small shops and I'd guess they all follow each other on twitter.  Those writers are going to see MH's tweet, know that he's issued yet another snide putdown towards them from his TBN pedastal and think to themselves, again, "what a DB Harrington is."

Twitter and social media in general are replete with snide and snarky comments. It's a junkyard environment. It's not a place where diplomacy and genteel civility abound. Some bars are known to have a raucous and rough environment while other bars may have a more sophisticated and upper crust to them. So, it shouldn't be surprising that MH's comments in this setting had some bite to them. Considering where Harrington made his post, I think you are over-reacting to his blunt comments that reflect what he thought. I didn't see anything wrong with what he said considering where it was said. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

In general, your point that prospects are given preference over veterans is clearly evident based on the recent history. However, I think that the GM and staff have come to the recognition that this team is at a stage where it should not only be competing for a playoff spot but is a playoff caliber of team. If Comrie decisively out performs UPL in camp and in preseason, I see him winning the backup role. And if UPL decisively, or even is comparable, in his competition with Comrie in camp, I see him winning the backup role. 

From a broad organizational overview, this franchise has gone beyond the team building and player development stage to the team competing against the best teams in the league. Player growth is important but now winning is the priority. 

I doubt Comrie is capable of performing well enough over 2 or 3 weeks to outright win the backup job.

That’s not a shot at him as much as an acknowledgment that age, history, contract and waiver status all stack the deck significantly in UPL’s favour.

However, it is possible UPL could perform poorly enough to lose it.

• Like (+1) 3

The talk about Comrie and UPL begs the question:  what happens if, as seems reasonably plausible, UPL looks pretty meh in the preseason?  Would they still waive Comrie in that situation and gamble that no one claims him?  And Comrie were to be claimed -- are they just going to start the season with Levi and an uninspiring UPL?

I think Levi is going to be good, but still. 

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The talk about Comrie and UPL begs the question:  what happens if, as seems reasonably plausible, UPL looks pretty meh in the preseason?  Would they still waive Comrie in that situation and gamble that no one claims him?  And Comrie were to be claimed -- are they just going to start the season with Levi and an uninspiring UPL?

I think how they’ve dealt with the Quinn situation is probably illuminating - Adams isn’t going to break his evals, I keep coming back to it. Quinn being hurt doesn’t change what any team would need to give up to get any particular asset on the Sabres, be it player or pick. If Quinn’s spot needs to be filled, it will be filled internally with a young player if Adams terms when looking outside the organization aren’t met to a T. If UPL is bad, it isn’t going to change the fact Adams want to evolve the team almost purely through what we have in house 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think how they’ve dealt with the Quinn situation is probably illuminating - Adams isn’t going to break his evals, I keep coming back to it. Quinn being hurt doesn’t change what any team would need to give up to get any particular asset on the Sabres, be it player or pick. If Quinn’s spot needs to be filled, it will be filled internally with a young player if Adams terms when looking outside the organization aren’t met to a T. If UPL is bad, it isn’t going to change the fact Adams want to evolve the team almost purely through what we have in house 

Well, I agree that KA -- like all GMs, I would think -- has valuations in mind both for his players and for outside players, and doesn't want to make a deal that departs too far from those valuations.  I also agree that he wants the team to develop primarily via homegrown talent.  But he still brought in 2 defensemen from outside this summer presumably to be lineup regulars (I think he expects E. Johnson to be in the lineup), and it's pretty well confirmed that he's attempted to bring in goalies a couple of times as well.

What he hasn't done is been willing to part with, say, JJP and a #1 for Hellebucyk or a similar rich price for Hart.  I agree with those decisions, but I still think that if goaltending is a problem again this year, he's accountable for not finding a solution.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I agree that KA -- like all GMs, I would think -- has valuations in mind both for his players and for outside players, and doesn't want to make a deal that departs too far from those valuations.  I also agree that he wants the team to develop primarily via homegrown talent.  But he still brought in 2 defensemen from outside this summer presumably to be lineup regulars (I think he expects E. Johnson to be in the lineup), and it's pretty well confirmed that he's attempted to bring in goalies a couple of times as well.

What he hasn't done is been willing to part with, say, JJP and a #1 for Hellebucyk or a similar rich price for Hart.  I agree with those decisions, but I still think that if goaltending is a problem again this year, he's accountable for not finding a solution.

You lost me at “Well,” and what you mentioned you are agreeing to isn’t what I said

Yes, I understand all GMs have evaluations in mind, thanks 

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You lost me at “Well,” and what you mentioned you are agreeing to isn’t what I said

Yes, I understand all GMs have evaluations in mind, thanks 

What a lovely piece of friendly hockey talk this is.

Maybe get some exercise.

26 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

What a lovely piece of friendly hockey talk this is.

Maybe get some exercise.

Don’t really like being condescended to. If you didn’t mean it that way it’s fine but I’m still going to react to the actual words 

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I have often stated my position that I don't believe that the GM is going to add another goalie to the mix. For the reasons you stated, I have to be candid that I'm queasy about the position entering the seasons. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.