Rd 1, Pick 13: Zach Benson

SDS

Let's show some patience with him and all our youth. So many buy the hype and want to run the car in 4th gear before the wheels are put on. Relax.

Sabres now have strength in numbers when it comes to the pipeline. We need a small amount to emerge over time each year. Others can be used as trade chips if we have several with the same profile. It's all good.  We need to see who will step forward. Root for the laundry

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Maybe but if you are developing relationships so you get the best insight you dont want screw up those relationships plus James Patrick you dont want to screw that up

13 hours ago, Eleven said:

Patrick isn't with the organization anymore but I do get your larger point.

It would not surprise me if Patrick ends up as an Assistant in Rochester next season, with the understanding he gets an opportunity for the Amerks HC position when Appert inevitably leaves for the NHL. 

8 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Super pumped about the pick, but there's a nagging voice in the back of my head that remembers Grigorenko falling down to us... And the sentiment he was a steal where we got him.

Tell me why the voice is wrong... 🙂

As Weave pointed out, completely different player and situation. Grigorenko was put in the NHL way before he was ready and was a text book example of how not to develop a prospect 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Let's show some patience with him and all our youth. So many buy the hype and want to run the car in 4th gear before the wheels are put on. Relax.

Sabres now have strength in numbers when it comes to the pipeline. We need a small amount to emerge over time each year. Others can be used as trade chips if we have several with the same profile. It's all good.  We need to see who will step forward. Root for the laundry

I think Benson needs a year at least.  He needs to gain strength because he is on the small side.

Just because I’m very optimistic about Benson doesn’t mean that I don’t have patience or am rooting for the player instead of the team.

21 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

It would not surprise me if Patrick ends up as an Assistant in Rochester next season, with the understanding he gets an opportunity for the Amerks HC position when Appert inevitably leaves for the NHL.

Pure speculation, or have you heard things? Jeep has a nice resume.

As far as Appert goes, we probably aren't giving Adams enough credit for this hire.

Amerks have had a long stretch where they neither won, nor developed players. Under Seth they do both.

Plus the guy is so well-suited to be the face of an organization; you can see the suits falling for him.

Next NHL team hitting the reset button with a group of kids has to be very interested.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

As far as Appert goes, we probably aren't giving Adams enough credit for this hire.

Amerks have had a long stretch where they neither won, nor developed players. Under Seth they do both.

Plus the guy is so well-suited to be the face of an organization; you can see the suits falling for him.

Next NHL team hitting the reset button with a group of kids has to be very interested.

Per speculation on my part

I’m surprised that Columbus didn’t give him a look 

Appert that is

51 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think Benson needs a year at least.  He needs to gain strength because he is on the small side.

Just because I’m very optimistic about Benson doesn’t mean that I don’t have patience or am rooting for the player instead of the team.

Dude needs to eat a damn sandwich 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Per speculation on my part

I’m surprised that Columbus didn’t give him a look 

Appert that is

And it would be great to have him back in the or-gan-I-zay-shun, but just don't see it happening.  He's been an assistant at the NHL level and has now coached a very successful CHL squad.  Have to believe there is an opening either at HC in the AHL/college for which a team would be lucky to land him or an NHL assistant coaching vacancy.  We aren't even to the start of the league year yet; can't believe all the chairs have been taken in the game of musical chairs.

If he doesn't get one of those other offers, could see Ra-cha-cha being very appealing to him; but can't see it being appealing if he has other (better) options.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

KA said in one of the recent press conferences that he sees Appert getting an NHL opportunity.  I'll post the link and time if I find it again.

Within this WGR link is a segment with Mitchel Brown who has a twitter account that focuses on hockey. In this 13 minute segment he discusses the Benson pick. Also, within this link there were other hockey segments. After listening to the Mitchell Brown segment I'm so excited! There is also a Paul Hamilton segment where he discusses the Quinn injury. (If you can't bring up this link try using a Google Chrome browser.)

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

Most likely it is Rousek.  But, there will be an open competition at camp and considering the timing and the time that Quinn will be out, it gives Savoie &/or Benson their absolute best shot at getting a look after camp closes.  That there are a ton of home games to start the year makes it more possible that they'd "waste" a roster spot on having an extra kid up getting that 9 game look-see.  Not much fear of getting caught short handed due to an injury when Ra-cha-cha is just over an hour away.

Rousek won't slot into Quinn's spot on the 2nd line.  Savoie &/or Benson could slot in there (at least in the 1st 40 minutes of games).

Mainly just playing devil's advocate here to the suggestion that 1 of Savoie or Benson could get their 9 game look because of the injury.  If one gets it, don't see why the other wouldn't as well.

I don't really disagree, and not sure what they will do, but if you truly want playoffs next year you cannot do anything to squander the early season and that home stand. You absolutely need to go full out and get early points. So is it another "development" year or will it be a strong push for playoffs? If it's the latter, no way should either be in the line up unless they have absolutely earned it above others. 

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This evening on WGR I heard sober talk of Benson possibly going back to WHL for one more season (ostensibly to work on strength and skating). I mean, he's young AF so I personally wouldn't have hopes for him at the NHL level in 2023/24. 

But wtf do I know?

No he should go back. No need to rush guys now. We have a legit nhl roster and development can take place in other leagues. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/30/2023 at 7:33 AM, Taro T said:

Several reasons, but the biggest being you burn a year of each of their ELCs the moment they step on the ice in the 10th game.

No, try understanding what I said. 9+9 serially = 18 games

Didn't say 18 each for 32.

On 6/30/2023 at 8:21 AM, Pimlach said:

Gibberish.   There is so much here that is skewed that I think you come here to troll.  

You listen to “other people on Podcasts”, that’s good to know.

No, I work late and come to this site. I just keep finding Trolls who talk Gibberish that I haven't been able to translate yet. Working on it though.

On 6/30/2023 at 2:49 AM, Sabres73 said:

Just watching the Donnie and Dhali sports show out here in Vancouver (Don Taylor, formerly of Sportsnet). They are saying the Canucks blew it by not taking Benson when they had the chance. They're kinda pissed, lol. The consensus seems to be we got a steal on our hands.

Don't admit you watch Podcast's. There are Trolls here that think they know everything and they will HISS at you.

3 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Why would you assume it's a podcast? It's a TV show. The only troll I've noticed around here lately is you.

So you see a huge difference between a TV show and a Podcast. Do you know some TV shows become Podcasts like One Bills Drive? Apparently many on here think they own The Aud Club. None of you on here are some GREAT expert either. Funny on here how many ridiculed saying Jost would be back, he's back. Many of the things I say off someone else, there are time stamps, get quoted later after what I just commented. Course some of you are so smart you have to Troll other people to shut them up apparently. My guess you trolls must be all of about 8-14 years old. Just a guess though.

GROW UP!!

11 hours ago, CTJoe said:

No, just like Savoie this year, it would have to be the Sabres or back to his junior team

Mostly right but he has 4 seasons, one with 28 games COVID year. They could rule that is a full season. If they do, he could go to the Amerks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.