Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

Even Kevyn Adams would agree.

It'just that many aren't too certain of his choices.

Which is why Adams brought in Anderson in the past and brought back Okposo (who whether the fans like it or not, is the heart of that locker room), and why he brought in E. Johnson. He brought in experience to guide but is leaving it up to the younger guys to do. The thing is, Skinner, Tuch, Tage, Dahlin, Clifton, Mitts, Olofsson, are not young guys that lack experience. They have years of experience in this league. 

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Salary very much disclosed. 

Would you rather have Clifton for 3yrs at 3.33 or Dumba at 1yr for 3.9?

Huh--what I read said that the team wouldn't disclose it.  

I'd rather have Dumba 1 year at 3.9.

47 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Sabres could have easily afforded both Clifton and Dumba this season.

Definitely.  My guess is Dumba was looking for a high-value, long term contract and didn't get any takers. He then reverted to looking for a single year contract with whomever would pay him the most to be a rental and likely not be a team to make the playoffs.

Basically, Dumba set himself up to be traded to a playoff team at the deadline and Arizona will get a pick.

Buffalo doesn't fit into those categories... now, could they trade for him? Certainly.

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Is Dumba the better player moving forward or the more well known name at this point?

They're only a year apart in age and Dumba has had the more impressive career so I'd have to guess that he's going to be better in the future as well.

24 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They're only a year apart in age and Dumba has had the more impressive career so I'd have to guess that he's going to be better in the future as well.

Supposedly he lost his offensive flare due to a shoulder injury and while his defense has improved he was a ?? for Wild fans.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The thing is, Skinner, Tuch, Tage, Dahlin, Clifton, Mitts, Olofsson, are not young guys that lack experience. They have years of experience in this league. 

Clifton changes things, but these guys do not have a lot of experience playing on winners in the league and almost no playoff experience among them. Your leadership has to know how to get people to that next level.

Skinner has the longest streak among active NHL players for never having played in the playoffs does he not? imo we could use a few more guys with Clifton and Johnson type playoff experience. 

46 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Both I guess? But the D looks pretty good to me tbh 

"Both" is the answer.  And I'm not sure he wasn't available to Buffalo at 1 x 3.9 a couple of days ago.  Consider @LTS's hypothesis above, which I quote here:

"Definitely.  My guess is Dumba was looking for a high-value, long term contract and didn't get any takers. He then reverted to looking for a single year contract with whomever would pay him the most to be a rental and likely not be a team to make the playoffs.

Basically, Dumba set himself up to be traded to a playoff team at the deadline and Arizona will get a pick.

Buffalo doesn't fit into those categories... now, could they trade for him? Certainly."

Well, either Buffalo is going to make the playoffs or not.  If it so happens, Dumba doesn't need "to be traded to a playoff team," because he's already on one.  If it doesn't, Buffalo would trade him at the deadline and Buffalo would get a pick, right?

Seems that Buffalo fits into the "categories" as much as Arizona would.  Or any other team, for that matter, considering that the playoffs aren't a lock for anyone (injuries, the next pandemic, whatever...).

So while I'm not jumping up and down and screaming that Buffalo didn't sign him--and I think the Sabs need some dry powder for a possible goalie trade anyway--I do think it was possible to sign Dumba at 1 x 4.  The Sabres chose not to.

Edited by Eleven

40 minutes ago, Eleven said:

"Both" is the answer.  And I'm not sure he wasn't available to Buffalo at 1 x 3.9 a couple of days ago.  Consider @LTS's hypothesis above, which I quote here:

"Definitely.  My guess is Dumba was looking for a high-value, long term contract and didn't get any takers. He then reverted to looking for a single year contract with whomever would pay him the most to be a rental and likely not be a team to make the playoffs.

Buffalo doesn't fit into those categories... now, could they trade for him? Certainly."

Well, either Buffalo is going to make the playoffs or not.  If it so happens, Dumba doesn't need "to be traded to a playoff team," because he's already on one.  If it doesn't, Buffalo would trade him at the deadline and Buffalo would get a pick, right?

Seems that Buffalo fits into the "categories" as much as Arizona would.  Or any other team, for that matter, considering that the playoffs aren't a lock for anyone (injuries, the next pandemic, whatever...).

So while I'm not jumping up and down and screaming that Buffalo didn't sign him--and I think the Sabs need some dry powder for a possible goalie trade anyway--I do think it was possible to sign Dumba at 1 x 4.  The Sabres chose not to.

I’m starting to think Adams leans, like maybe perhaps a tad, ever so slightly to the conservative side of the spectrum. 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m starting to think Adams leans, like maybe perhaps a tad, ever so slightly to the conservative side of the spectrum. 

I'm glad I was drinking water when I read this rather than something with sugar in it.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Let me expand.

The Sabres signed Clifton at $3.3M.  I would imagine Dumba was looking for a longer term and or higher AAV and the Sabres felt Clifton was a better value for the roster.  Clearly Dumba did not get signed to a long term deal by ANY team.  That's my supporting evidence.

Pivot to the Sabres could sign him for 1 year.  Yes, possible. But, they brought in Johnson for leadership and 3rd line/ 7th defense positioning. Bringing in Dumba for the year pushes someone else out of the lineup for short term gain.  Signing Dumba while Jokiharju and Lyubushkin are on the roster also decreases their trade value as other teams know the Sabres have to move someone.

To me, it makes more sense to let Dumba sign in Arizona and then try and trade for him if you need him versus putting him on the roster now and having to deal with the number of contracts and roster size.

Basically, Dumba was not a roster focus the moment Clifton became the person signed. But, if they need him later in the year they could trade for him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

The Sabres have a ton of defencemen. Depth is not an issue,

I am interested in Dumba if he’s a clearly going to be our 3 or 4.

I’m not sure if he is that player any more.

He's 29 and I think the worst he's suffered is a collapsed lung and a broken rib.  Heck, I've had each of those.  Anyway, he's not a Sabre until 2024.  So moving on...

Edited by Eleven

39 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He's 29 and I think the worst he's suffered is a collapsed lung and a broken rib.  Heck, I've had each of those.  Anyway, he's not a Sabre until 2024.  So moving on...

Did you know he was minus player who had 14 points on a playoff team last year, has had negative possession numbers for 3 years running, and hasn’t topped 69 games played or 27 points in any of the 4 seasons before last year?

Maybe - like a lot of other teams apparently - they did their homework and said “pass”.

Just now, dudacek said:

Did you know he was minus player who had 14 points on a playoff team last year, has had negative possession numbers for 3 years running, and hasn’t topped 69 games played or 27 points in any of the 4 seasons before last year?

Maybe - like a lot of other teams apparently - they did their homework and said “pass”.

No--I had no way of knowing--is there a way to look that up?

OF COURSE I KNOW.  No reason to be condescending.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

No--I had no way of knowing--is there a way to look that up?

OF COURSE I KNOW.  No reason to be condescending.

My apologies.

Dumba has sucked for a while. Surprised you’re interested.

Seravalli said not one team talked to Minny at the deadline about Dumba. Combination of contract but also his declined play. Said Dumba misread the market for him in free agency and said he should have taken less to go to a better team and see if he could rebuild his game and rep.

14 hours ago, Eleven said:

Dumba will never be a Sabre. By 2024, Novikov will be beating down the doors and Samuelsson will be doing what he can do hold him off.