A Top 4 Defenseman is Adams Top Priority per Lebrun

Brawndo

8 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

F**k trading a top end pick for a defensemen coming off a down season entering his near age 30 season.  Hanifin; makes some sense.  Giving up Olofsson and 13 for Pesce is pretty close to insane. 

I cant say I know much about Pesce, I have no idea if he had a down season or not, but your take on him is different from all others I have read here.  

He is 28, that is prime age for a defensemen and unlike most forwards, defenseman do not drop off in their early 30's.  

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I cant say I know much about Pesce, I have no idea if he had a down season or not, but your take on him is different from all others I have read here.  

He is 28, that is prime age for a defensemen and unlike most forwards, defenseman do not drop off in their early 30's.  

Read somewhere Carolina wants Karlsson too - If this is the case I would imagine Pesce will got the other way.

51 minutes ago, JohnC said:
2 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I would say no.Casey and Krebs would be the first two major question marks in this department. 

What do you base your judgment on? At the end of the season playoff run when Casey played on the top line, he played well The line not only didn't miss a beat without Tage but it excelled. With respect to Krebs, his solid play on the fourth line had no drop-off during that end of season pressurized run. 

I fully expect Mitts to be a beast in the playoffs, especially if he's on the third line.  I could see other teams' top lines neutralizing Tage's and Dylan's lines and the series being won from the third line.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Read somewhere Carolina wants Karlsson too - If this is the case I would imagine Pesce will got the other way.

I am shocked that they would trade for a guy that doesn't know how to play a Lick of defence 

Just now, Doohickie said:

I fully expect Mitts to be a beast in the playoffs, especially if he's on the third line.  I could see other teams' top lines neutralizing Tage's and Dylan's lines and the series being won from the third line.

I know you like Casey but I have a feeling he's gonna get traded for the help 

9 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I know you like Casey but I have a feeling he's gonna get traded for the help 

I would've agreed with you before he had a terrific last couple of months. Time will tell if that was things finally clicking for Casey or an aberration, but if he keeps playing like that, he's a key piece.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

F**k trading a top end pick for a defensemen coming off a down season entering his near age 30 season.  Hanifin; makes some sense.  Giving up Olofsson and 13 for Pesce is pretty close to insane. 

He is entering his near age 30 season?

Thats a fun way to say that he is entering his age 29 season.

26 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

You intentionally or not bring up an intriguing issue relating to Mitts: Who are going to be his linemates? And you also make a good point that this team has accumulated enough talent to construct a good third line. This roster has gone from a thin to a deeper roster. 

31 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I doubt SJ would want Pesce as part of the trade.  They are young to want picks and young guys.

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You intentionally or not bring up an intriguing issue relating to Mitts: Who are going to be his linemates? And you also make a good point that this team has accumulated enough talent to construct a good third line. This roster has gone from a thin to a deeper roster. 

Greenway and Rousek 

Or Krebs

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I need an adult beverage. The draft stresses me out. 

https://www.frootbat.com/product/4818200/Johnnie-Walker-The-Jane-Walker-Edition-Black-Label-12-Year-Old-Blended-Scotch-Whisky-750ml-Bottle/United-States?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs8q5z4Xn_wIVjc7ICh37XwHLEAYYAyABEgK0d_D_BwE

Sip it slowly. This is expensive stuff. He can have a medicinal effect and also give you a nice glow. 🍷

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Greenway and Rousek 

Or Krebs

How about Krebs centering with Mitts and Greenway on the wings? Or how about Mitts/Krebs/Kulich? 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Those are wildly different values. 

13 and VO

13 and Savoie

That's my point. I have no issues #13 moved for a proven Dman. I like VO but would package him for a bonafide starting goalie that could start 50 games for us next year as we develop Levi. To me Savoie untouchable. 

22 minutes ago, Curt said:

I doubt SJ would want Pesce as part of the trade.  They are young to want picks and young guys.

They might take Pesce and then move him in a separate move.

35 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I think the move has to be Östlund/Rosen and 24 1st rd pick to get Pesce, and I am ok with it as long as an extension is already in place.

Why is Pesce worth 2 firsts ?   Is he that good or is this a Sabrespace reaction? 

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Why is Pesce worth 2 firsts ?   Is he that good or is this a Sabrespace reaction? 

It's more likely that this fixation on acquiring a player such as Pesce at any cost is a Sabrespace reaction. The GM has worked hard to re- stock the depleted talent pool in the system. He's not now going to go against everything he has done since taking over. One undercutting problem with Pesce is if he is acquired, it would make no sense to do so if an expensive contract wasn't in place or planned to be offered. Dahlin will soon sign a rich contract and Power will be in the short line waiting for a deal. 

Don't misinterpret what I'm saying. I would love to acquire Pesce. But I don't see KA acquiring him for what @sweetlousuggests (Ostulund/Rosen and 24 1st). It goes against how the GM has operated during his tenure. I wouldn't be surprised if KA makes a deal for a defenseman or two during this draft or before camp begins. But I'm more inclined to think that if he brings in blueline help, it won't be through a blockbuster deal where he has to give up major assets to do so. As I see it, it's more likely that the GM adds 4/5 caliber bluelines rather than a 3/4 blueliners to this unit that clearly needs a boost. 

A good topic of debate would be: Is it better to add two 4/5 blueliners or one high cost 3/4 blueliner to the roster? Which approach strengthens the team more? 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

A good topic of debate would be: Is it better to add two 4/5 blueliners or one high cost 3/4 blueliner to the roster? Which approach strengthens the team more? 

I really think the Sabres need a true second pairing Dman to play with Power.  Joki might be an okay 2nd pair guy with another Dman but I'd rather see Power paired with a pure stay-at-home kinda guy, and Joki is more of a 2-way guy and joins the rush.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

Just wish KA could do two things at once put an offer out there good for only before second round for a right handed D... even if it means drafting a guy for another team and using it in the deal... get creative

How do you know that he hasn't done what you suggested? Just because deals aren't completed don't mean he hasn't tried to make them. 

drafting a guy for another team

I've thought about this in the past; I don't think it will happen.  I don't see another team telling the Sabres who their preferred pick is, and if the trade doesn't go through for whatever reason then Kevyn is stuck with another team's preference instead of is own.

Just now, JohnC said:

Just because deals aren't completed don't mean he hasn't tried to make them.

This is where the armchair GMs miss the boat I think.  The trades they suggest might have already been proposed by Kevyn and rejected by the other team.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

How do you know that he hasn't done what you suggested? Just because deals aren't completed don't mean he hasn't tried to make them. 

True but KA just doesnt seem like that kinda GM

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I've thought about this in the past; I don't think it will happen.  I don't see another team telling the Sabres who their preferred pick is, and if the trade doesn't go through for whatever reason then Kevyn is stuck with another team's preference instead of is own.

Deal in place before pick if that guy is there even let that team make the pick so you lock them in..

We all know Kevyn is very deliberate and sets parameters on his moves.  If the parameter is exceeded he doesn't get caught up in the emotion of the deal and walks away.  (He did this with Ullmark I think, and for what Ullmark had shown to date I think it was the correct move.)

Deal in place before pick if that guy is there even let that team make the pick so you lock them in..

Right... make the trade before the pick.  But I can't see picking another team's preferred player and then executing the trade.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.