A Top 4 Defenseman is Adams Top Priority per Lebrun

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

I know we do have physicality, but we need that player that is feared by the other team. I do see some of that gritiness that is needed but it does seem more often then not the other team is the aggressor, not us. Playoff hockey it is a must to be the aggressor. Every year we see that with the cup winner. Love this team and see it getting better and stronger but that nasty piece is definitely needed. 

That just isn't a thing anymore. Matthew Tkachuk was feisty all playoffs but Vegas didn't fear him. Radko Gudas is a beast but no one fears him. I think the idea that players are afraid on the ice ended years ago, sure it can happen at times, but hockey is so fast and skilled now that no one is like "oh man Tkachuk is out there, I better be afraid of him." 

I fully disagree with the 2nd bolded. I think down the stretch when it was basically playoff hockey for us we were exceedingly gritty and resilient. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

On 6/10/2023 at 10:32 AM, Brawndo said:

From The Athletic

Sabres in the market for a top-4 D, goaltending

The Sabres would like to upgrade in goal, but our understanding is that GM Kevyn Adams’ top priority is landing a top-four defenseman.

On goaltending, assuming they don’t want to rush the development of Devon Levi, the Sabres need to get an experienced NHL starter onto the roster before training camp begins. Hellebuyck has to top the list, but he’ll be pricey. The Jets will be looking for young team-controlled assets in exchange. The Sabres do have plenty of those — from Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen to Peyton Krebs to even Casey Mittelstadt.

If the Sabres balk at the Hellebuyck asking price, they could also get into the market for John Gibson, who will also be pricey and would likely prefer to play for his hometown team, the Penguins, but might see the upside in the Sabres’ lineup and consider that a better long-term fit.

Of course, surrendering zero assets and shopping on the UFA market for a goalie might be a better option. Even if the Sabres do extend Rasmus Dahlin on a monster contract after July 1 — probably eight years in the $10 million range — they will have cap flexibility.

Gibson headlines Ducks’ loaded trade class

The feeling is that the 29-year-old Gibson (No. 7 on the trade board) would be amenable to a move to a contender because the Ducks are not going to be a playoff team for years. His contract is reasonable — $6.4 million for four more years — especially if you believe he can still be a top-10 NHL goalie playing behind better defense.

Gibson has a 10-team no-trade list. The suspicion, though, is his preference would be one of three: Pittsburgh, Vegas or Los Angeles. He probably would be OK with New Jersey or Buffalo, as well, given their upward trajectories.

If Gibson lands in Pittsburgh than Tristan Jarry be available. He's been good not great for the Penguins but last year he might have been beset by an injury he acquired in the Winter Classic according to https://www.pensburgh.com/2023/6/13/23758348/2022-23-season-in-review-tristan-jarry  The same article reports he might be looking for a 5-6 year deal which might be difficult if he going to just be a spot starter while Levi develops unless the Sabres can find a fair contract for him as a part time starter he could be on a short list of options. 

From the Athletic today:

Twenty million dollars can run out fast when you only have five forwards signed and also need to extend Bowen Byram, an RFA. The Avalanche should consider subtracting from their loaded (and increasingly expensive) blue line in order to add a high-end, top-six forward.

Determining the future of Devon Toews, a pending UFA at the end of next season, as early as possible will be critical. Toews is an essential top-pair defenseman but he’s in line for a massive raise from the bargain $4.1 million AAV contract he’s on right now. Extending Toews this summer would open the door to trading Sam Girard. Trading Girard, who makes $5 million annually, would net Colorado the premium assets and cap space necessary to acquire an impact top-six forward on the trade market. That approach worked for them in 2019, when they shipped out Tyson Barrie for Nazem Kadri.

But they can’t trade Girard before they’re confident about extending Toews, because they can’t afford to lose both at the end of next season. Alternatively, if the Avs don’t think they can re-sign Toews, they could move him for a huge haul and keep Girard, since he’s controlled for the next four seasons.

Girard just turned 25.  He's 5'10, 170 lbs, LHD and has played over 21 min per game for Colorado for the last 4 years.  He's under contract for 4 more seasons at $5MM per year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

A pretty good argument can be made that Florida’s overly physical style ended with them being so battered by the finals they didn’t belong in the same rink as Vegas.

There has to be a smart element to your physicality. Vegas seems to have that balance.

Guys like Cozens Krebs Tuch and Mule seem to be in that mold. Greenway is intended to be a step in that direction.

Certainly would like to see that from our new 4D.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

A pretty old argument can be made that Florida’s overly physical style ended with them being so battered by the finals they didn’t belong in the same rink as Vegas.

There has to be as smart element to your physicality. Vegas seems to have that balance.

Guys like Cozens Krebs Tuch and Mule seem to be in that mold. Greenway is intended to be a step in that direction.

Quinn has smart physicality. I think we will notice it more this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

A pretty old argument can be made that Florida’s overly physical style ended with them being so battered by the finals they didn’t belong in the same rink as Vegas.

There has to be as smart element to your physicality. Vegas seems to have that balance.

You are right about the physical toll on Florida.

They came out hard vs Boston and actually set the tone, physically in that series. Maurice said that the majority of their injuries were sustained in that series.

Hitting hurts both the hitter and the recipient.

Vegas doesn’t back away from any physical contact but they didn’t go round chasing people. They seemed to have that marathon vs sprint mindset to pace themselves and last through the war of attrition. Their cup winning veterans were key elements in keeping their heads in the game and looking at the big picture.

One thing about young players is that don’t fully physically mature until 23-25.  Their ability and often willingness to play a physical game comes with maturity.  How much more physical were Dahlin and Mitts last season?  

As Cozens, Quinn, Krebs, Power and JJP continue to physically mature so will that aspect of their games.  Cozens is already tough to play against, wait until he adds another 10-15 lbs of muscle.

I’m not actually worried about the Sabres being physical enough to win in the playoffs.  The Sabres issues come down to roster construction - goaltending and defense.  KA must get a top 4 D who can help the PK and a good goalie.  If he has to send out quality assets to get the job done do be it. VO, Krebs, Rosen, Östlund, the 13 th pick, both 2nd rounders, our 1st in 2024, other prospects including Savoie should be on the table to get these deals done.  I’m not saying empty the pipeline, but I am saying smart use of some of these assets and free agency should get the deals done.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Hopefully so....his young body will eventually fill out, which will allow him to challenge better (and win)!

He falls a lot during battles but he engages and wins a lot of them with shiftiness and deception. Once he gets stronger he will physically hold his own and win the majority of battles.

Being more physical is a must. Watching the playoffs with a friend, he remarked the next time half our roster blocks a shot will be their first time ever. It's youth needing to step forward. Watching teams block 20 or so shots in a game is something this team neeeds to learn in order to get to and win in the post season. Not complaining at all. Just an observation of taking more steps to improve. A couple more tougher guys on the blue line is a priority to me. Sets an example. 

Just now, Night Train said:

Being more physical is a must. Watching the playoffs with a friend, he remarked the next time half our roster blocks a shot will be their first time ever. It's youth needing to step forward. Watching teams block 20 or so shots in a game is something this team neeeds to learn in order to get to and win in the post season. Not complaining at all. Just an observation of taking more steps to improve. A couple more tougher guys on the blue line is a priority to me. Sets an example. 

When I see playoff stats in the regular season, I have to ask if the stat applies in the regular season.  Blocked shots and hits would be numbers 1 and 2.

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Night Train said:

I don’t want my players blocking every shot possible in the regular season. There is too much risk for injury with that mindset. I think they need to gauge the situation and act accordingly. It’s not really a switch you can turn off and on but more along the lines of the 80% effort of the regular season.

1 or 2 goal lead in the third period, maybe block the shot. A win in October is as important as March.

Safely in the playoffs with two games to play, maybe let the goalie take it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

He falls a lot during battles but he engages and wins a lot of them with shiftiness and deception. Once he gets stronger he will physically hold his own and win the majority of battles.

He already wins the majority. imo

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

One thing about young players is that don’t fully physically mature until 23-25.  Their ability and often willingness to play a physical game comes with maturity.  How much more physical were Dahlin and Mitts last season?  

As Cozens, Quinn, Krebs, Power and JJP continue to physically mature so will that aspect of their games.  Cozens is already tough to play against, wait until he adds another 10-15 lbs of muscle.

I’m not actually worried about the Sabres being physical enough to win in the playoffs.  The Sabres issues come down to roster construction - goaltending and defense.  KA must get a top 4 D who can help the PK and a good goalie.  If he has to send out quality assets to get the job done do be it. VO, Krebs, Rosen, Östlund, the 13 th pick, both 2nd rounders, our 1st in 2024, other prospects including Savoie should be on the table to get these deals done.  I’m not saying empty the pipeline, but I am saying smart use of some of these assets and free agency should get the deals done.  

Yup, and personally, I'd much rather trade one of the players that have not yet made the team. Quinn, JJP, Cozens, Krebs,  etc, I would just hate to trade. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Both the teams in the finals made huge trades to get there. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Ooo yea, forgot about this thread. 

Brett Pesce, what we thinking?

Right age, right hand, right size with playoff experience,

Metrics have slipped the past two seasons 

Evolving Hockey has Him six years 6.3 million AAV extension.

Romanov got 13th OA last year, but he was 22 and a RFA 

They probably ask for 2024 1st to start

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dudacek said:

We thinking that when we do a checklist of what this D needs there aren’t many NHLers who tick more boxes than Pesce.

I never thought of him because I always assumed he was a fixture in Carolina. I have liked his game whenever I watched them play.

I wonder why he may be on the market, he is an important part of their D corps. 

I see that their D prospects include Alexander Nikishin, a 2020 pick who has done well in the KHL and was on the top pairing for SKA St Petersburg. Scott Morrow is a second rounder in 2021 in the NCAA. Another 2nd rounder in 2021 is Aleksi Heimosalmi.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.