Rasmus close to extension at $10M per

tom webster

45 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Andrew Peters apparently tweeted today that Dahlin only wants 5 years.  I don't have the tweet & I deleted twitter, so ...

Some speculation on the inter webs that it’s so Dahlin can maximize his value. 

I would guess that it’s actually so he has control of his career. The Pegula owned Sabres have put together maybe the worst decade of hockey the league has ever seen. It’s been historically bad. Pegula’s life is a mess at the moment. His wife is….. He’s been alleged to have said some terribly racist stuff. There’s been rumors for years he might sell the team. The Bills have a feeling that they might on ravel. 

If you’re Rasmus Dahlin, why the fork would you tie yourself to this franchise for a decade right now?

Just my $0.02

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • dislike 3

Would I want a player like Dahlin tied up for 8 instead of 5? Sure do, especially for a D-man where their career peak years go a bit longer.  Remember that he is under contract for another year and this extension would start a year from now...so if he signs for 5 years, you have him here for 6 more from the current time. That is a LOT of hockey.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mango said:

Some speculation on the inter webs that it’s so Dahlin can maximize his value. 

I would guess that it’s actually so he has control of his career. The Pegula owned Sabres have put together maybe the worst decade of hockey the league has ever seen. It’s been historically bad. Pegula’s life is a mess at the moment. His wife is….. He’s been alleged to have said some terribly racist stuff. There’s been rumors for years he might sell the team. The Bills have a feeling that they might on ravel. 

If you’re Rasmus Dahlin, why the fork would you tie yourself to this franchise for a decade right now?

Just my $0.02

What does Dahlin care about the past. He's the future. He's the solution. Unless he doesn't believe in what Don and his teammates are putting together, which I find hard to accept.  And what does the Bills "on ravelling" have to do with the Sabres? (It was one f***ing game!)

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What does Dahlin care about the past. He's the future. He's the solution. Unless he doesn't believe in what Don and his teammates are putting together, which I find hard to accept.  And what does the Bills "on ravelling" have to do with the Sabres? (It was one f***ing game!)

I don't know that this is wholly true. Yes it is hockey/sport. But this is also a profession. 

As a senior at what I do; I understand somebody being hesitant to sign an 8 year deal when executive leadership in my division has seen quarter over quarter loses for nearly a decade. Yes, I would be happy to be apart of a team that had the first ever year of profit (1 winning season out of 4), but I am not sure I would sign away the next 10 years when there has still been speculation that the owner might sell the company off. Or at least I would give it some serious thought.

If you look at the Allen game as an individual, sure it is just a thing that happened/happens. But when you look at the history of the Sabres, ...

- wait the offense struggled more often than it should last year.

- They were fairly flat in the playoffs. Their star WR threw two temper tantrums (playoffs and OTA's).

- The expectations around this season.

- The verbalization that that the QB was never more locked in than he is this year, only to be....well....not locked in....

- The team president is incapacitated for the foreseeable future and was removed. 

- The team owner was quoted as saying some not great stuff (albeit allegations)

Dahlin may fully buy into Adams and Donnie. He probably does. But the Pegula run Sabres have created a situation where there is a lot more to it than that. I am not saying that Dahlin shouldn't sign. I am not saying he won't. But if it were me I would weigh the entire state of the Pegula Sabres/sports enterprise before I sign on the dotted line. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

10 hours ago, tom webster said:

So you are choosing to believe those who support your narrative as opposed to those who don’t. Cool.

What’s it going to take for you to admit you and your “source” are wrong? If he signs for 5 years are you going to hold firm and say a strong gust of wind came into the office and blew the contract into the shredder before it could be faxed to the league? 

43 minutes ago, #freejame said:

What’s it going to take for you to admit you and your “source” are wrong? If he signs for 5 years are you going to hold firm and say a strong gust of wind came into the office and blew the contract into the shredder before it could be faxed to the league? 

I’ll admit I was wrong when it turns out I was wrong but the next time Andrew Peters is right about anything Sabre related will be the first time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

42 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’ll admit I was wrong when it turns out I was wrong but the next time Andrew Peters is right about anything Sabre related will be the first time.

Peters got the Vegas trade right, but I presume that was because he’s so close to the Tuch family (he billeted Luke). Kind of a layup. 

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

Regarding Peters:  Not entirely true, but he is certainly hit and miss.  I think when he hears something from someone he knows, he just puts it out there.  I don’t think he really cares if he is right.

14 hours ago, tom webster said:

So you are choosing to believe those who support your narrative as opposed to those who don’t. Cool.

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

I just want to note that I'm not here to rub salt...I just wanted to post what I had heard from Peters.  He's no more reliable than Chad is, IMO.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

I just want to note that I'm not here to rub salt...I just wanted to post what I had heard from Peters.  He's no more reliable than Chad is, IMO.

The fact is that very few really know anything. You make assumptions because this guy knows the person that does the background check or that guy knows the lawyer reviewing the contracts or your friend knows the doctor scheduled for the physical.

The only certainty is that these things don’t take months if dialogue. Contracts get done in less than an hour when free agency begans. It’s all just posturing and sound bites to feed the masses.

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

The fact is that very few really know anything. You make assumptions because this guy knows the person that does the background check or that guy knows the lawyer reviewing the contracts or your friend knows the doctor scheduled for the physical.

The only certainty is that these things don’t take months if dialogue. Contracts get done in less than an hour when free agency begans. It’s all just posturing and sound bites to feed the masses.

But you’ve been saying you know something for months now. Doesn’t the above contradict your previous points? Or are you one of the few that actually does know? I guess I’m just confused at this point. 

19 minutes ago, #freejame said:

But you’ve been saying you know something for months now. Doesn’t the above contradict your previous points? Or are you one of the few that actually does know? I guess I’m just confused at this point. 

It’s been two months and I still believe the deal was done around June 30th. Did something thing change, maybe.  I guess we will find out what they want us to know when they release some embedded episode.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/14/2023 at 3:57 PM, Mango said:

I don't know that this is wholly true. Yes it is hockey/sport. But this is also a profession. 

As a senior at what I do; I understand somebody being hesitant to sign an 8 year deal when executive leadership in my division has seen quarter over quarter loses for nearly a decade. Yes, I would be happy to be apart of a team that had the first ever year of profit (1 winning season out of 4), but I am not sure I would sign away the next 10 years when there has still been speculation that the owner might sell the company off. Or at least I would give it some serious thought.

If you look at the Allen game as an individual, sure it is just a thing that happened/happens. But when you look at the history of the Sabres, ...

- wait the offense struggled more often than it should last year.

- They were fairly flat in the playoffs. Their star WR threw two temper tantrums (playoffs and OTA's).

- The expectations around this season.

- The verbalization that that the QB was never more locked in than he is this year, only to be....well....not locked in....

- The team president is incapacitated for the foreseeable future and was removed. 

- The team owner was quoted as saying some not great stuff (albeit allegations)

Dahlin may fully buy into Adams and Donnie. He probably does. But the Pegula run Sabres have created a situation where there is a lot more to it than that. I am not saying that Dahlin shouldn't sign. I am not saying he won't. But if it were me I would weigh the entire state of the Pegula Sabres/sports enterprise before I sign on the dotted line. 

I’m willing to bet that Diggs and Allen and the Bills in general are not on the list of top 100 things Dahlin gives a rats ass about in terms of his next contract. 
I can’t comprehend how you’re combining these things into one narrative. 

So I am hearing that  that Dahlin …

… is close to signing. 

Really close. 

Very close. 

He’s on the verge … 

Almost 😅 Just … about … to … 

Pen … in hand. Straining … 

He’s there putting pen to …

Pa …

Apparently, the line … 

… on the paper …

… is still …

blank. 😒 

26 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Why can’t he just sign 8x10.5 it’s very fair and makes the fans happy while not handcuffing the team to a myriad of present and future issues.

He might be betting on the cap being in the upper $90m-$100m range in 2029 when his 5 year deal would be done. If he thinks he is a top 5 D-man in the league then, and in his prime, he will then be looking at a contract closer to $13 or $14m per year then.  I'm guessing his thinking is why not get 5 years at $10 or $10.5 now..and then cash in 5 years later when as a D-man he will be in his prime AND the cap is likely to be much higher.  From his point of view, long term he probably has more potential earnings going 5 instead of 8.

Another thing to think about....Thompson and Cozens are likely to be this teams stars up front going forward. Their deals are done in 2030. If Dahlin signs an 8 year extension, his deal won't be done until 2032.  He might want the  5 year deal so he is up again BEFORE Cozens and Thompson are up.  He and his agent may not want them to 'take all the money', he may want to be first in line for it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.