Kyle Dubas not returning as Toronto Maple Leafs GM

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Id rather have won something in my life.

A few other factoids

Toronto has never won a Cup with more than 6 teams

Toronto has never even made a Cup Final with more than 6 teams

Toronto has never won more than 2 series in a playoff in their entire franchise history.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

A few other factoids

Toronto has never won more than 2 series in a playoff in their entire franchise history.

As long as we are 0 for forever we have no room to laugh.

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

A few other factoids

That last one is shocking tbh.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

We both have effectively 0, however we have at very least come close.

It ain't much but its something 🙂

A little deeper dive into the math.

Including 2023 there will have been 52 Cups awarded since the Sabres joined the league. None in the 2005 lockout.

In that period there have been 14-32 franchises in the league. I did the math and the average for that entire period is 25 teams.

The Sabres should have won 2 Cups by now.

The Leafs should have won 2 Cups in that same time period.

From 1927 until 1970 there were 44 Cups awarded. There were mostly 6 teams but early on there were 7-10 and 12 in the last few years of that era. The average teams per season was 8. The Leafs should have won 5-6 Cups in that time period but they doubled their success rate to win 11.

From 1927 until now they should have won around 8 Cups, so they are still ahead of the average due to a ton of success in the first 40 years.

If the Sabres can win 1 in the near future I will be extremely happy. If they can pull off a Chicago/Pittsburgh/Los Angeles/Tampa run of 2-3 they will be up where they should be.

A 32 team league makes the average just over 3 Cups in the next 100 years.

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Both Chris Johnson and Eliotte Friedman are questioning if an extension now gets done prior to July 1st for Auston Matthews.

I boldly predict that Auston will be traded at the draft.  He is part of the problem.  One can never fire the players so get rid of the GM and / or coach.

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

We both have effectively 0, however we have at very least come close.

It ain't much but its something 🙂

Only one of those two teams have a league champions banner hanging and it ain’t Buffalo.  

We have no more standing to point and laugh at Toronto than Vancouver.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Both Chris Johnson and Eliotte Friedman are questioning if an extension now gets done prior to July 1st for Auston Matthews.

How can they possibly pay him more money. They gave him one of the worst contracts in the league. Overpaid for 5 years that walked him right to UFA. He hasn’t delivered when it counts and he wants another raise.

They have to trade him.

I think (hope) Matthews walks to FA. Toronto has hit the implode button here for sure. If you look at the "big 4" who is taking in those contracts?  No prospect pipeline, no picks. It is looking bleak. Shamahan better have a plan.

I do have sympathy for Dubas. Declared early in the year that he wanted to talk to family. Seems Shanahan heaed from that statement "I'm not 100% on board". 

Fingers crossed for Chiarelli eh?

46 minutes ago, steveoath said:

I think (hope) Matthews walks to FA. Toronto has hit the implode button here for sure. If you look at the "big 4" who is taking in those contracts?  No prospect pipeline, no picks. It is looking bleak. Shamahan better have a plan.

I do have sympathy for Dubas. Declared early in the year that he wanted to talk to family. Seems Shanahan heaed from that statement "I'm not 100% on board". 

Fingers crossed for Chiarelli eh?

Treviling would be my bet

Dubas to Ottawa once they fire Dorian 

6 hours ago, French Collection said:

A little deeper dive into the math.

Including 2023 there will have been 52 Cups awarded since the Sabres joined the league. None in the 2005 lockout.

In that period there have been 14-32 franchises in the league. I did the math and the average for that entire period is 25 teams.

The Sabres should have won 2 Cups by now.

The Leafs should have won 2 Cups in that same time period.

From 1927 until 1970 there were 44 Cups awarded. There were mostly 6 teams but early on there were 7-10 and 12 in the last few years of that era. The average teams per season was 8. The Leafs should have won 5-6 Cups in that time period but they doubled their success rate to win 11.

From 1927 until now they should have won around 8 Cups, so they are still ahead of the average due to a ton of success in the first 40 years.

If the Sabres can win 1 in the near future I will be extremely happy. If they can pull off a Chicago/Pittsburgh/Los Angeles/Tampa run of 2-3 they will be up where they should be.

A 32 team league makes the average just over 3 Cups in the next 100 years.

Some historical perspective:

Because of "home rules", where teams got first dibs on players who grew up in their media market, Detroit, Toronto, and Montreal won every single Cup except in 1961 (Chicago) in the O6 era.  The league was so unbalanced that Boston, Chicago, and New York all came close to folding at various times from 1950-65.

Also, remember that well-made teams could win lots of Cups in a short period of time.  We had legitimate dynasties for aeons, so if your team was very good but not quite up to snuff, you were not winning a Cup.  (As we are all too well aware of.)  Then, starting with the labour troubles in the early 1990's through the great lockout, the most common determiner of getting to the playoffs was market size.

In all honesty, the Sabres' best chances to win a Cup by circumstance and team composition were 1980, 1993, 2001 because of Hasek, and 2006.  (In 1975, they had the worst goaltending of the 8 teams in the Quarter-Finals by a wide margin.)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

I do have sympathy for Dubas. Declared early in the year that he wanted to talk to family. Seems Shanahan heard from that statement "I'm not 100% on board". 

I have 0 sympathy for "the team who shall not be named". I hope they are forced to keep every bad contract, and bring in someone to trade away more of their futures in an empty futile attempt to fix stupid. I want them to be the star attraction in "the trash bin to no where" for the rest of my life.

Toronto, the place that replaced Buffalo as the "suffering" Mecca of the hockey world. No destination is more deserving of such a high honor.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Treviling would be my bet

Dubas to Ottawa once they fire Dorian 

This would not surprise me at all. 

Even after all the massive Toronto media discussions it's still muddy on if he was fired or quit but it seems he was offered a contract extension, then he talked publicly about the I'm not sure I have to sit down with my family thing and with that lack of gung ho commitment they decided not to offer the extension after all, so in a sense he got himself fired. 

They were all in this year and other than finding a goalie through some miracle they've kind of run out of variations around the big 4. They had the added D and the checkers and the shutdown guy and despite all the adds just one round win . Dubas knows it's over, and there's nothing they can do but tear it down (or at least part of it) and do it differently and that likely means 2 steps back before any steps forward. So he preferred the exit so that something like Ottawa might still be in his future as he won't be there for the downfall. 

4 hours ago, Weave said:

Only one of those two teams have a league champions banner hanging and it ain’t Buffalo.  

We have no more standing to point and laugh at Toronto than Vancouver.  

No, we do, and it's for one simple reason. No team in any sport gets as much favorable media coverage and "this is the year" talk as Toronto does. When you think you're that special and you do no better than those little incompetent teams (that would be us and Vancouver among others) you earn extra ridicule. 

2 hours ago, irregularly irregular said:

Yes, of course you are right.

But it's f'ing Toronto. Please reconsider your position.

I’m no fan of Toronto, but fans of this team laughing at Toronto is ridiculous.  We lost our standing, pure and simple.

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, we do, and it's for one simple reason. No team in any sport gets as much favorable media coverage and "this is the year" talk as Toronto does. When you think you're that special and you do no better than those little incompetent teams (that would be us and Vancouver among others) you earn extra ridicule. 

Ridicule away.  We’re the baseline now, though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.