GDT: The real semifinal. Round 3.

Eleven

That win was on Bob.

Shots on goal extremely lopsided in Carolina's favor.

Bob stopped them all.

Carolina played well. But H

Hot Goalie = Playoff advancement.

Also Florida's physical game keeps chances low and adds to Carolina frustration.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't miss "touch icing" but I also disagree with at least a third of the "no-touch icing" calls in today's NHL 

It used to be that the officials only called icing when it was obvious.  Sometimes, your team could not have flagged the puck down with a 10 meter stick and you would not have caught the puck with jet engines on your skates, and the linesmen still would not call icing.

IMHO, if a player does not get to top speed to play the puck, icing should be waved off.

Just now, Jävə Keith said:

That win was on Bob.

Shots on goal extremely lopsided in Carolina's favor.

Bob stopped them all.

Carolina played well. But H

Hot Goalie = Playoff advancement.

Also Florida's physical game keeps chances low and adds to Carolina frustration.

Don't forget that Florida are positionally very sound at the blue line and snuff out a lot of rushes.

6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

It used to be that the officials only called icing when it was obvious.  Sometimes, your team could not have flagged the puck down with a 10 meter stick and you would not have caught the puck with jet engines on your skates, and the linesmen still would not call icing.

IMHO, if a player does not get to top speed to play the puck, icing should be waved off.

Don't forget that Florida are positionally very sound at the blue line and snuff out a lot of rushes.

I just think that, if the rule centers around whoever wins the race or projects to win the race to the puck, the refs get that call wrong laughably often. Oh, and you can't review THAT line infraction if the ensuing faceoff leads to a goal, but you can review the other line infraction 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I just think that, if the rule centers around whoever wins the race or projects to win the race to the puck, the refs get that call wrong laughably often. Oh, and you can't review THAT line infraction if the ensuing faceoff leads to a goal, but you can review the other line infraction 

True.  Botched icing, regardless of reason, have tilted a lot of games, such as a visiting small market American team playing on the road on Hockey Night in Canada.

What's interesting to me is that the forward group for the Panthers have the same penchant for attempting those frustrating cross-ice passes in the offensive zone when the better choice was to clearly shoot the puck on net or try and drive in closer. That characteristic hasn't seemed to matter much in the outcome of these games.

There are two distinct differences between these two teams: forward skill and goal-tending. We have one of those two covered I think.

42 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't miss "touch icing" but I also disagree with at least a third of the "no-touch icing" calls in today's NHL 

I'm with you on not missing the "touch icing" but disagree on the calls. I used to think the calls were bad as well so I paid attention to them over the course of the season and I think they get it right far greater than 66% of the time.

5 minutes ago, ... said:

I'm with you on not missing the "touch icing" but disagree on the calls. I used to think the calls were bad as well so I paid attention to them over the course of the season and I think they get it right far greater than 66% of the time.

I'm definitely exaggerating the number but I would venture that at least 3 get missed per game and sometimes they are in pretty big moments and aren't particularly close to being the correct call

It just adds a bit to the "not a serious league" ledger to me

Edited by Randall Flagg

15 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Samson will be fine.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sam someone.

You’re GD right it was Reinhart 😎

How was he on face offs tonight?

”he’s not built for the playoffs” they said

”he sucks” they said

Dude isn’t dominating by any means. But he isn’t a weak link on the team by any stretch either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm definitely exaggerating the number but I would venture that at least 3 get missed per game and sometimes they are in pretty big moments and aren't particularly close to being the correct call

If I'm not mistaken, they changed the rule. It's not a race to the dots anymore, it's who the ref thinks will get to the puck first,… I think.

Oh, and ***** Rod Br'n'd'm'r!!!!

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

If I'm not mistaken, they changed the rule. It's not a race to the dots anymore, it's who the ref thinks will get to the puck first,… I think.

Yeah I wasn't sure where it stood at this point, but either way, they are comically bad at that sometimes too. It's always in favor of the team that didn't ice the puck, which I guess is a good thing in the spirit of the rule compared to the other way, but sometimes the gassed team is 3 strides ahead of the defender and they'll blow it dead a millisecond before he touches the puck with the other guy back at the hash marks. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yeah I wasn't sure where it stood at this point, but either way, they are comically bad at that sometimes too. It's always in favor of the team that didn't ice the puck, which I guess is a good thing in the spirit of the rule compared to the other way, but sometimes the gassed team is 3 strides ahead of the defender and they'll blow it dead a millisecond before he touches the puck with the other guy back at the hash marks. 

I think there is some more exaggeration going on with that, no?

Edited by SwampD

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

If Panthers win this series they will win the Cup, there is no better goalie in the playoffs than Bob, he's like a machine right now. I remember when Patrick Roy got into this zone like Bob when he was with the Canadians the year they won the cup back in 1993.

I remember it as well, but we are talking about Bob the guy that I remember the Sabres had no problem beating. Yes, he’s in a zone right now but Spencer Knight and Lyon carried the team for part of the season. Everyone says they look fast but Carolina lacks offense and their goaltending is just okay. Matchups change from team to team so it will be interesting to see.

Just now, SwampD said:

Pretty sure he is exaggerating, too.

Yeah. I have no idea why I post like that sometimes. It's probably a millennial thing 

Though once in a while the refs do get it that wrong 

Either way, I don't necessarily mind things with wiggle room like that in sports, but it makes the offside challenge annoying 

1 hour ago, SabresBillsFan said:

I remember it as well, but we are talking about Bob the guy that I remember the Sabres had no problem beating. Yes, he’s in a zone right now but Spencer Knight and Lyon carried the team for part of the season. Everyone says they look fast but Carolina lacks offense and their goaltending is just okay. Matchups change from team to team so it will be interesting to see.

Playoff Bob is a different animal than the Bob Sabres faced, he's dialed in and as it usually goes the team with the hottest goaltender this time of year will usually win it, that is Florida by far but it isn't always the case. I'm not saying they look fast but they definitely kept up with Toronto who imo is 1 of the fastest teams in the NHL, made Boston look like old men (even though they are) and now are giving a very defensive minded, well disciplined Carolina team a chokehold on the series after tonights win and as impressive as that is they did it without Barkov.

Edited by GoPuckYourself

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

It never was a race to the dots. When the first player reaches the dots, that triggers a decision by the linesman as to who would reach the puck first (assuming the linesman also deems that the puck will cross the end line). Not an easy call.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Playoff Bob is a different animal than the Bob Sabres faced, he's dialed in and as it usually goes the team with the hottest goaltender this time of year will usually win it, that is Florida by far but it isn't always the case. I'm not saying they look fast but they definitely kept up with Toronto who imo is 1 of the fastest teams in the NHL, made Boston look like old men (even though they are) and now are giving a very defensive minded, well disciplined Carolina team a chokehold on the series after tonights win and as impressive as that is they did it without Barkov.

First time he looks like $10M Bob since he signed that deal.

He’s definitely dialed in, just like his Vezina years. One more round like this and he adds a Conn Smythe to his trophy case.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

”he sucks” they said

Dude isn’t dominating by any means. But he isn’t a weak link on the team by any stretch either.

Hey I never wanted him to go. I had hope that he would have liked Granato enough to stick around. But it was too late for that.

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

First time he looks like $10M Bob since he signed that deal.

He’s definitely dialed in, just like his Vezina years. One more round like this and he adds a Conn Smythe to his trophy case.

Which is why I get nervous when we discuss trading the farm or paying a fortune for a "can't-miss" goalie. They are too unpredictable. You can count the ones who were consistently elite for their careers on one hand.

9 hours ago, Zamboni said:

”he sucks” they said

Reinhart isn't a flashy or explosive player. He never was and never will be. He's simply one of the smartest players on the ice whose instincts are exceptional. There is a subtlety and consistency to his game that won't standout unless you watch him over an extended period of time. 

The Jack trade benefited both teams involved in the transaction. And similarly, the Reinhart trade has benefited both teams involved in that transaction. (I'm expecting Levi to be an instrumental player for us.) When these two transactions are tabulated for each team all the parties involved will come out on the plus side. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Reinhart isn't a flashy or explosive player. He never was and never will be. He's simply one of the smartest players on the ice whose instincts are exceptional. There is a subtlety and consistency to his game that won't standout unless you watch him over an extended period of time. 

The Jack trade benefited both teams involved in the transaction. And similarly, the Reinhart trade has benefited both teams involved in that transaction. (I'm expecting Levi to be an instrumental player for us.) When these two transactions are tabulated for each team all the parties involved will come out on the plus side. 

I hope so.

If Sam helps Florida win the Cup that is a definite win from their perspective. 
If Levi and Kulich are a part of a Sabres revival, that may win a Cup, I consider that a win too.

• Like (+1) 1