40-year old former Sabre Christian Ehrhoff signs with the Penguins

PromoTheRobot

31 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Is this because of contract buyouts?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danschlossberg/2022/10/14/hall-of-fame-closer-bruce-sutter-made-the-most-of-free-agent-pact/amp/

It actually ended at the end of 2022 when he passed. The bottom of the article explains it. Just crazy.

“That convinced the Braves to sign him to a six-year, $9.1 million deal with much of the money deferred. Although he gave Atlanta just 40 saves over three injury-riddled seasons, Sutter wound up a big winner.

His pact provided $4.8 million in deferred money that would pay 13 per cent interest over a 36-year period. Once it expired in 1990, Sutter started receiving an annual stipend of $1.3 million per year, pushing its total value to almost $50 million, making it one of the biggest in baseball at the time.”

Edited by Flashsabre

Cap hit of $857,143 thru the 2027-2028 season. Could be worse. Much much worse.

Other notables …

Kyle Turris – Nashville Predators

Owed $2,000,000/year until 2027-28

Brad Richards – New York Rangers

Owed $1,055,556/year until 2025-26

Ilya Bryzgalov – Philadelphia Flyers

Owed $1,642,857/year until 2026-27

Rick DiPietro – New York Islanders

Owed $1,500,000/year until 2028-29

Vincent Lecavalier – Tampa Bay Lightning

Owed $1,761,905/year until 2026-27

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Other notables …

First thing I thought of when you started to list these. It's a pretty nice retirement plan for the guy as long as he's smart with the money.

Chris Sale agreed to receive $50 million in deferred payments from the Red Sox. He will receive $10 million annually on June 30th from 2035-2039 and if club exercises 2025 option, $5 million is deferred until 6/30/2040.

When the Red Sox gave Dustin Pedroia an extension in 2013, they agreed to $18 million in deferred payments, $2 million every year in 2021-2024, and $2.5 million every year in 2025-2028.

The Red Sox started their deferred payments to Manny Ramirez in 2011 at $1,968,677. He will receive $$2,023,498 today and payments continue through 2026 at 2.5% interest.

When the Red Sox signed Enrique Hernandez they agreed to defer a portion of his salary. $1.5M of 2021 salary deferred with $250,000 equal payments paid 2027-2032 and $1M of 2022 salary deferred paid at $250,000 each of 2033-2036.

The Orioles owe Chris Davis $42 million in deferred money to be paid in 10 installments of $3.5 million annually each July 1, 2023-32, & five installments of $1.4 million each July 1, 2033-37. 

Orioles agreed to pay Alex Cobb $20 million deferred with $2 million on 11/30/22 & $1.8 million annually each 11/30, 2023-32. When they traded Cobb to the Angels, the Angels picked up $5 million owed to Cobb, with an undisclosed portion of that being deferred money owed.

I find it pretty amazing when athletes in their 40s can still perform at the highest levels.  

Ehrhoff had that smooth, effortless skating style that seems to be a hallmark of guys that continue to play at a high level well past most others’ primes.  Teppo, James Patrick being other Sabres examples.

I’d be surprised if Skinner isn’t able to have a career well past the time most have retired.

22 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’d be surprised if Skinner isn’t able to have a career well past the time most have retired.

I was thinking that also.  I never thought KO would be an effective player by the time his contract ended, but Skinner’s ability on his edges and to find open ice should make effective for many years to come.  I also think he is so much happier here being part of this group.  

26 minutes ago, Weave said:

Bold, agreed there. His skating is just so smooth that he's probably not going to slow down as much as the guys that are muscling everything.

Edited by MattPie

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Other notables …

"Cap hit" and "owed" are two different things though.  The Sabres are paying Ehrhoff, but there's no cap hit thanks to the timing, using a compliance buyout when they were available.  I didn't go through the rest of your list, but I know DiPietro was one and Turris was not (so he does have a cap hit).  The others are a bit older and probably do fit into that timeline where the league was coming out of a lockout.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

"Cap hit" and "owed" are two different things though.  The Sabres are paying Ehrhoff, but there's no cap hit thanks to the timing, using a compliance buyout when they were available.  I didn't go through the rest of your list, but I know DiPietro was one and Turris was not (so he does have a cap hit).  The others are a bit older and probably do fit into that timeline where the league was coming out of a lockout.

Ok I wasn’t aware. 
Please go thru that list I had and separate cap hit and just owed.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Ok I wasn’t aware. 
Please go thru that list I had and separate cap hit and just owed.

Thanks 

I think Turris is the only one with an actual cap hit. The rest are just getting paid each year but without the cap hit. 

The Sabres did have a cap hit for Cody Hodgson this year though. He’s off the books moving forward. 

3 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

If ever there was a clickbait title for a thread. You got me though.😁

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Me, too. Here's a thought: Certainly he's lost some speed since his NHL days, but is 40 year-old Ehrhoff better than Pilut and Bryson?

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Periodic reminder that Ehrhoff was worth every dime of that contract and it would never have been an issue had the league not moved to explicitly screw Darcy over (ex post facto) for his hilarious accounting, which was absolutely within the letter, if not the spirit, of the CBA at the time of signing.  

If it gets grandfathered in to the next CBA, he gets traded for a decent return to one of any number of teams who would have been all over it once the team imploded and we'd never think about it again.    

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.