The Stanley Cup Playoffs 2023: First Round GDT

Eleven

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

The Canes are in the group with the Stars and the Pens (Rags and Krakers are in that group too just because, and the Bolts are getting there if they aren't already).

I've been on pins and needles waiting to read how you characterize/classify this group!

Edited by ...
  • Haha (+1) 1

Its hard to not pick Boston as the Favorite.

Carolina might/should get by the first round, but I don't think they are currently as good as most people think.

Dallas I think is not going to fare well. Despite what some say is a good matchup, I think its going to be harder for them to get out of the first round, and if they do, they won't last much longer than that.  Depite the record, I think this matchup features 2 of the worst playoff teams (both in the bottom 4).

On the topic of getting into and out of the playoffs, once again, if you are good enough to finish on the positive side of goal differential, you are likely in the playoffs...if you are negative you are likely out.  The top 16 teams in goal differential all made the playoffs, the bottom 16 all did not.  In all, 17 teams had a positive goal differntial, 16 of those 17 made the playoffs, the only one that didn't had the worst goal differential of the 17 that were positive.  

Edited by mjd1001

13 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Minnesota got lucky to win, but it was a solid game! 

Lucky? idk. They were built for the playoffs and they played playoff hockey. The game had ebbs and flows and at times one side or the other dominated. Minnesota looked more beat near the end and if it had gone another period I think they'd have lost, but their PK saved them and they grabbed their opportunities. This should be a good heated series.

On the Dumba hit, it was arguably SLIGHTLY late, but it's hard to time hits perfectly as a D man. Hit was shoulder to shoulder, not head, he basically wiped him out in a solid playoff hit. We could use some of that. Refs made the correct call reviewing and dropping the major. 

On the Canes, I've never hated them as a Sabres fan. I don't hate Brindamour either. Outstanding coach. Passionate guy. That team plays a solid 2 way system and will be hard to beat. They have fast offense but also can play tight checking hockey. We need to be more like them. 

I think I might be the only guy I know who felt LA has a solid chance in their series. They are also more built for the playoffs and have solid 2 way checking players that can shut down or at least limit offensive opponents. More balanced in the way they are rebuilding. At this point, their rebuild plan/strategy is looking pretty sound. 

It's the same for me every year. Game one of the playoffs reminds me of how good playoff hockey is and the regular season gets forgotten as a warm up to real hockey. Love this stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Any appetite for a discussion on whether Dumba's hit was late? High?

To my surprise, I find myself sort of agnostic on the topic.  Sorta late. But not overly. Maybe kinda high. But not really. Violent, for sure.

I think "violent" is the word for it. We're not used to seeing that kind of violence in hockey anymore nor are the players accustomed to anticipating it. IMHO, in a different time Pavelski would have anticipated the possibility of that hit. It's also the NHL's fault because they allow what are effectively late hits down low all of the time - but if they were all violent like that I'm sure there would be a rule. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Lucky? idk. They were built for the playoffs and they played playoff hockey. The game had ebbs and flows and at times one side or the other dominated. Minnesota looked more beat near the end and if it had gone another period I think they'd have lost, but their PK saved them and they grabbed their opportunities. This should be a good heated series.

On the Dumba hit, it was arguably SLIGHTLY late, but it's hard to time hits perfectly as a D man. Hit was shoulder to shoulder, not head, he basically wiped him out in a solid playoff hit. We could use some of that. Refs made the correct call reviewing and dropping the major. 

On the Canes, I've never hated them as a Sabres fan. I don't hate Brindamour either. Outstanding coach. Passionate guy. That team plays a solid 2 way system and will be hard to beat. They have fast offense but also can play tight checking hockey. We need to be more like them. 

I think I might be the only guy I know who felt LA has a solid chance in their series. They are also more built for the playoffs and have solid 2 way checking players that can shut down or at least limit offensive opponents. More balanced in the way they are rebuilding. At this point, their rebuild plan/strategy is looking pretty sound. 

It's the same for me every year. Game one of the playoffs reminds me of how good playoff hockey is and the regular season gets forgotten as a warm up to real hockey. Love this stuff. 

It’s wild that Minnesota’s centre spine of Hartman (drafted as a winger) , F. Gaudreau, Steel and Dewar can win games. Ericsson Ek is not a world beater but he would help a ton.

I don’t mind the Dumba hit, it’s a bit predatory but he did not target the head. Guys know there will be more hitting in the playoffs, everyone is finishing their checks. Even a wimp like Nylander may touch someone tonight.

LAK having Kopitar and Danault means a superb defensive conscience will be on the ice for 40 minutes. They came close to beating them last year without Doughty. I picked the Oilers but didn’t think it would be a cakewalk like a lot of the Canadian media thought.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I don’t mind the Dumba hit, it’s a bit predatory but he did not target the head. Guys know there will be more hitting in the playoffs, everyone is finishing their checks. 

In watching it again, I noticed that, far from leaving his skates and launching himself, Dumba ends up off balance and falls over because of the impact.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Any appetite for a discussion on whether Dumba's hit was late? High?

To my surprise, I find myself sort of agnostic on the topic.  Sorta late. But not overly. Maybe kinda high. But not really. Violent, for sure.

Its the playoffs. It was a shot across the bow. We are so fortunate that this sport is filled with skill , grace , hits and intimidation. Intimidation will always be here. Especially in the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Its the playoffs. It was a shot across the bow. We are so fortunate that this sport is filled with skill , grace , hits and intimidation. Intimidation will always be here. Especially in the playoffs.

Part of it is intimidation and part of it is wearing down your opponent.

Everyone that gets to the final knows it is a war of attrition.

• Agree 1

It was a legal hit and he shouldn't have even gotten the minor.

Hartman, on the other hand, shouldn't have even been playing to score the OT winner after that BS hit on Ehlers and the BS DoPS only giving him one game. Crock of shite.

I hope the Stars take the next 4 straight.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.